Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

AUX DIY

mikedav

Re: AUX DIY

Post by mikedav » Wed May 28, 2008 4:05 pm

My cable has arrived, its labelled as an MD cable for an E39 5er LOL. But it looks the same as everything posted so will have a go fitting later. I assume it's fairly obviously when I unplug it where the pins from the CH changer lead go into the MD plug? Can you just pull them out with a bit of force?

Thanks

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Post by gannet » Wed May 28, 2008 4:18 pm

it is actually easier to remove the pins from the AUX cable (only two versus the 3 for the bluetooth). Just be sure to put them in the same holes in the other plug they came out of (if you see what I mean...).

You have to use a very small screwdriver to press a piece of metal down, then they just slide out...

Oh and the plug itself is encased in another sleeve which you have to remove (easily done) in order to get at the pins...

Hope this isnt too confusing - itll all make sense when in front of you :)
Last edited by gannet on Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-- Gannet.
Current: MINI JCW... - Modification: Driver Upgraded :D
Previous: DS3 DSport, Z4 3.0SE, 206 GTi & XS, Alfa 147 Lusso

mikedav

Post by mikedav » Wed May 28, 2008 8:29 pm

Cheers for that,

I have three wires on this Aux cable..red, brown, blue. But I have tested the cable on its own (NO CD Changer) and it worked great on AUX. However as is so often the case it's just all gone horribly wrong. I removed the three pins from the AUX cable fine, plugged them into the CD Changer cable, all good. But the quality is really poor, very low volume from source and little or no bass. Crossed wires? So I have another go.

While removing the red wire, it won't slide all the way out and the end snaps off inside the block! So I have half a pin stuck in the connector and no pin on the end of the red wire. I tried to remove the 4 CD changer wires to plug into the original AUX block, so I at least have all but one wire sorted. 3 of the 4 come out fine, 1 won't budge and I am not risking breaking another, so I have just put everything back to stock for now. Now I need a car audio place to

A) Put another connector on my red wire
B) See if I can get the remains of the old pin out of the block...

Grrr. Simplest ICE job I have ever done and it goes wrong LOL! Thanks for all the help though

Shipkiller
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Shipkiller » Wed May 28, 2008 11:16 pm

When you remove any pins from a connector block, there are TWO catches....

The primary one, and after you pull it out a little, a secondary catch...

Just push the pins tab down again to get it to release and pull out....
Drives 2008 Z4MC (His) & 2003 Z4 Roadster (Her's)

WaZZZZman

Post by WaZZZZman » Wed May 28, 2008 11:39 pm

If I understand your problem I think you can use a device called a Pin Extractor that you can get at most electronic stores.

By the way is the audio poor on AUX installs or just the ones that were over CD changers? I do not want to do it if the audio is not very good. :?

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Post by gannet » Thu May 29, 2008 9:54 am

mikedav, sorry to hear you've had some trouble with the pins :( I was quoting the number of pins on mine from memory so probably got it wrong...

The audio volume I admit is rather poor but with one of these or similar attached it is much much better :)
-- Gannet.

mikedav

Post by mikedav » Thu May 29, 2008 4:05 pm

Well that was a waste of £40 for me as I have had to bin it :(

Got it working but the quality is so poor I would never use it; volume needs to be turned up so loud when you switch back to the radio you go deaf, and there is loads of hiss with almost no bass. Not sure if it's my cable but the dealer won't take it back as it's not a stock item (they recommended the crazy priced £350 kit anyway so haven't 'approved' this method) and I cannot be bothered with it anymore...

Oh well glad everyone else has had better luck

Mattt

Post by Mattt » Thu May 29, 2008 7:15 pm

With this Aux In - do you get to keep the CD changer?

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Post by gannet » Thu May 29, 2008 10:14 pm

Mattt wrote:With this Aux In - do you get to keep the CD changer?
Short answer is yes, but read the thread for the full story...
-- Gannet.

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Post by gannet » Thu May 29, 2008 10:28 pm

mikedav wrote:Well that was a waste of £40 for me as I have had to bin it :(

Got it working but the quality is so poor I would never use it; volume needs to be turned up so loud when you switch back to the radio you go deaf, and there is loads of hiss with almost no bass. Not sure if it's my cable but the dealer won't take it back as it's not a stock item (they recommended the crazy priced £350 kit anyway so haven't 'approved' this method) and I cannot be bothered with it anymore...

Sorry to hear it didnt work out for you mikedav...

I really dont hear any hiss on mine, just the low volume which I sorted as posted earlier.
-- Gannet.

WaZZZZman

Post by WaZZZZman » Fri May 30, 2008 12:17 am

gannet wrote:
mikedav wrote:Well that was a waste of £40 for me as I have had to bin it :(

Sorry to hear it didnt work out for you mikedav...

I really dont hear any hiss on mine, just the low volume which I sorted as posted earlier.
I appreciate the tread, because I am about ready to do the same thing. After trying for quite some time, I finally can take the center air duct out. :)

But you are saying the audio volume is too low. There are two volumes here the one on the I-pod and the one on the radio. Adjusting either as I see it, will cause a change in the total volume. Do you have the volume all the way up on your I-pod and adjust the volume on the radio, or do you have low or mid way volume on the i-pod and try to bring the volume up with the radio? If both the i-pod and radio are full volume up and there still is not enough, well then maybe I will save my money. Also do you have the CD changer and or the Sat/Nav system and is this problem isolated to those types of systems or is it the same problem with all AUX installs?

Anyone else have input to this volume question?

Z4good

Post by Z4good » Fri May 30, 2008 1:13 am

I don't have the CD changer so I can't speak to that, but I installed the Aux cable and it works great. No hissing and the volume is fine. I put my Ipod at half volume and make adjustments with the radio volume control. Hope this helps. :thumbsup:
2003 3.0I Sport package, few mods, and of course a stubby!

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Post by gannet » Fri May 30, 2008 9:36 am

Z4good wrote:I don't have the CD changer so I can't speak to that, but I installed the Aux cable and it works great. No hissing and the volume is fine. I put my Ipod at half volume and make adjustments with the radio volume control. Hope this helps. :thumbsup:
Maybe the volume question only comes in when in conjunction with the CD Changer :? However using the device in my earlier post uses the dock port not the headphone socket - iPod volume then makes no difference. The device itself then has a small amplifier in that - I forget whether it has a volume adjustment (I will find out and let you know)....

But the result is that the volume through the car stereo is fine and no hiss :D

Hope that makes sense...
-- Gannet.

Pauly_G

Post by Pauly_G » Fri May 30, 2008 4:16 pm

Hi all,

Have just removed the radio and vent and plugged the aux 65120153502 cable (purchased through my local dealer) into the radio. Have not plugged the iPod in yet, however when I cycle through the modes all that appears is the radio and CD function.....no Aux function....does the Aux function only appear if it detects a sound source - i.e. when the iPod is actually playing?

Cheers

Paul

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Post by gannet » Fri May 30, 2008 4:32 pm

Pauly_G wrote:Hi all,

Have just removed the radio and vent and plugged the aux 65120153502 cable (purchased through my local dealer) into the radio. Have not plugged the iPod in yet, however when I cycle through the modes all that appears is the radio and CD function.....no Aux function....does the Aux function only appear if it detects a sound source - i.e. when the iPod is actually playing?
Can't recall off hand - not sure Ive ever tried...

I should get a chance to check for you over the weekend, if noone gives you the answer sooner!
-- Gannet.