Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

AUX DIY

Pauly_G

Re: AUX DIY

Post by Pauly_G » Fri May 30, 2008 5:23 pm

Well have just been to buy the iPod to Aux cable, plugged it in first time and all worked fine, however when I moved the iPod the sound cut out on one speaker and then the other and then stopped recognising the Aux input. Seems if I press the cable (BMW aux cable - not yet permanently installed) in certain places I can get it to play, however as soon I move the cable it cuts out.....everything is fine at the radio connection end, however there seems to be a dodgy part of the cable near the input end and also where the cable is double the thickness of the rest of the cable.

Really not chuffed, spent £40 on a blinking cable, which probably cost less than £5 to manufacture and it doesn't work...Will be heading back to the dealer at the next opportunity to have a moan and seek a free of charge replacement!

Mattt

Post by Mattt » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:07 pm

I want to get this - but am worried that it won't work like Pauly_G posted :?

Any luck with it Pauly?

Pauly_G

Post by Pauly_G » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:39 am

Took it back to my local BMW dealer last weekend. The Parts department sent me to Service saying... "it's a service issue now..." well the service department wanted me to book my car in to confirm that there is nothing wrong with my car! I challenged this, asking them to check the cable on one of their demonstrators or many used cars, however they insisted that I needed to book my car in. I am gobsmacked at this policy...book a £25k car in to check that a £40 cable doesn't work.....

Needless to say I am currently drafting a letter to BMW UK to confirm whether this policy is UK wide, or as I suspect, another stupid policy from my local dealer.

Will update when I receive a response!

Cheers

Laska

Post by Laska » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:02 pm

Two quick questions on this one:

1. Is there anywhere you can buy the Aux kit online in the UK (either the mini one or the BMW one) or do I need to try and get to a dealer?

2. In the US there seems to be a kit that comes with a replacement ashtray insert (BMW part no. 82110142174), anyone know if this is available in the UK and has anyone used it? The part no. doesn't show up on RealOEM strangely. (linky: http://www.bavauto.com/shop.asp)
2004 Titanium silver 2.5SE with 108s, electric M sport seats, carver pro stereo and xenons.

ulfurk

Post by ulfurk » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:27 am

mikedav wrote:Well that was a waste of £40 for me as I have had to bin it :(

Got it working but the quality is so poor I would never use it; volume needs to be turned up so loud when you switch back to the radio you go deaf, and there is loads of hiss with almost no bass. Not sure if it's my cable but the dealer won't take it back as it's not a stock item (they recommended the crazy priced £350 kit anyway so haven't 'approved' this method) and I cannot be bothered with it anymore...

Oh well glad everyone else has had better luck
As I understand it line-out and headphone connections aren't the same.
The line-out has a lot higher gain (volume) than the headphone connection and it's normalized at that level.
This would explain why the radio aux appears low when connected to a standard iPod headphone connection as it's expecting a lot higher level on that input.
In any case that's how it behaved when I was trying to use a tape-deck adapter on my old car, when connected to headphones it was fine but if I tried to use the line-out port it would be too loud and all the levels where way off.

It might work better with something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-35508-C ... B000J022G6
Pauly_G wrote:Took it back to my local BMW dealer last weekend. The Parts department sent me to Service saying... "it's a service issue now..." well the service department wanted me to book my car in to confirm that there is nothing wrong with my car! I challenged this, asking them to check the cable on one of their demonstrators or many used cars, however they insisted that I needed to book my car in. I am gobsmacked at this policy...book a £25k car in to check that a £40 cable doesn't work.....

Needless to say I am currently drafting a letter to BMW UK to confirm whether this policy is UK wide, or as I suspect, another stupid policy from my local dealer.

Will update when I receive a response!

Cheers
I'm afraid this might be worldwide, or in any case all to common. They just charged me 260 GBP for analyzing a problem that I'd already told them what was. I'd even handed them an official BMW service bulletin stating the symptoms, cause and solution, still they insisted they couldn't do anything for me unless they got the car in for a check-up... it really stings having to pay 260 GBP just to have them figure out the problem is exactly what you'd already told them it was, twice... and then expecting you to pay more to have them fix it. Thankfully, I'm not footing this bill as it's the previous owners responsibility but I'm not looking forward to having to deal with this myself. I love my Z but if this is what it's going to be like in future I might just have bought my first and last BMW... which would be a shame as it's a cracking car...

Now, for the stupid question... The vents, it says read another DIY but I haven't found one. Everyone seems to be getting them out pretty easily but I can't seem to figure out how to do it :P
Can anyone help?

Laska

Post by Laska » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:54 am

As I understand it line-out and headphone connections aren't the same.
The line-out has a lot higher gain (volume) than the headphone connection and it's normalized at that level.
This would explain why the radio aux appears low when connected to a standard iPod headphone connection as it's expecting a lot higher level on that input.
In any case that's how it behaved when I was trying to use a tape-deck adapter on my old car, when connected to headphones it was fine but if I tried to use the line-out port it would be too loud and all the levels where way off.

It might work better with something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-35508-C ... B000J022G6
[/quote]

I think you are exactly right there, the Line out connection from the ipod works differently from the headphone socket. It is the line out connection that are used by the Dension/Dice kits - so I think the sound quality would be exactly the same for the Aux or DICE type solution if you use the line out from the ipod rather than the headphones.

In order to give the Aux solution as good a chance as possible of working, I purchased this:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/review ... -aux-2008/

It has a dial that allows you to set the gain on the ipod's line out, which should allow me to match the volumes. It also positions the ipod in the perfect place (just to the side of the indicator/wiper stalk between the stereo and the aircon dials).

I haven't got the Aux kit yet so I haven't had a chance to test this theory (should arrive tomorrow), I will report back on how the whole lot works over the weekend hopefully.
2004 Titanium silver 2.5SE with 108s, electric M sport seats, carver pro stereo and xenons.

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Post by gannet » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:02 pm

the griffin one is very similar to the one from Belkin that I bought for mine. I now have no problems with volume :thumbsup:
-- Gannet.
Current: MINI JCW... - Modification: Driver Upgraded :D
Previous: DS3 DSport, Z4 3.0SE, 206 GTi & XS, Alfa 147 Lusso

Laska

Re: AUX DIY - How to remove air vents and ashtray

Post by Laska » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:04 pm

ulfurk wrote:
Now, for the stupid question... The vents, it says read another DIY but I haven't found one. Everyone seems to be getting them out pretty easily but I can't seem to figure out how to do it :P
Can anyone help?
How to get the vents out:

Try this, it's the best guide I have seen (it is from a company that sells DIN adaptors, but it still applies):

http://documents.victorytechnologies.co ... t/3545.pdf

The vents should require no force to get them moving. There is a hole about 1cm wide and about 1cm back from the face of the vents at the top centre of each vent.

To remove the vents use a thin flat bladed screwdriver and pull the metal clips in the holes down - when you pull them down correctly the vent will move forward slightly on that side. You shouldn't need to lever the side of the vent unit to remove it, just pull forward gently on the unit when you have pulled the clips down.

You want the air flow directors pointing slightly towards the centre and I put the screwdriver in through the first and second slats down from the top, this gave a good angle for getting at the clips.

If you do need to lever the vents from the side, use a credit card not a screwdriver, the screwdriver will scratch/dent the aluminium dash.

Other guides:

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63039

or this:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpo ... stcount=17

If plan to install the connector in the ashtray, you may also need:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpo ... stcount=11

Mattt

Post by Mattt » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:24 pm

It's in! Took bloody ages though, but I was being quite careful with bits.

ulfurk

Post by ulfurk » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:52 pm

Laska wrote:
ulfurk wrote:
Can anyone help?
How to get the vents out:

Try this, it's the best guide I have seen (it is from a company that sells DIN adaptors, but it still applies):

http://documents.victorytechnologies.co ... t/3545.pdf

The vents should require no force to get them moving. There is a hole about 1cm wide and about 1cm back from the face of the vents at the top centre of each vent.

To remove the vents use a thin flat bladed screwdriver and pull the metal clips in the holes down - when you pull them down correctly the vent will move forward slightly on that side. You shouldn't need to lever the side of the vent unit to remove it, just pull forward gently on the unit when you have pulled the clips down.

Thank you so much for the help, those are great guides.

And on another note... does anyone know what the CD-MAG connectors are like? The car is prepped for it and I'm wondering if I could hook the AUX up to that and have my AUX-In connector in the center storage compartment...
You want the air flow directors pointing slightly towards the centre and I put the screwdriver in through the first and second slats down from the top, this gave a good angle for getting at the clips.

If you do need to lever the vents from the side, use a credit card not a screwdriver, the screwdriver will scratch/dent the aluminium dash.

Other guides:

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63039

or this:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpo ... stcount=17

If plan to install the connector in the ashtray, you may also need:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpo ... stcount=11

ulfurk

Post by ulfurk » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:54 pm

Thank you so much for the help, those are great guides.

And on another note... does anyone know what the CD-MAG connectors are like? The car is prepped for it and I'm wondering if I could hook the AUX up to that and have my AUX-In connector in the center storage compartment...

Ben.

Post by Ben. » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:25 pm

Mine is in! :D
About 30 mins to get the vent out, 3 mins to fit and then had to go to Halfords as I forgot to buy the Jack cable
Plug in to the sterio and it works alongside the autochanger no problem :thumbsup:
Ex-Z owner

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Post by gannet » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:53 pm

Glad to hear it Ben. :thumbsup:
-- Gannet.
Current: MINI JCW... - Modification: Driver Upgraded :D
Previous: DS3 DSport, Z4 3.0SE, 206 GTi & XS, Alfa 147 Lusso

Rasalon

Post by Rasalon » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:31 am

I have this, http://www.usaspec.com/ipod.html

It's a little more complicated to install but works well and you get so much more than a siple jack. I have my I pod out of the way at all times (it lives in the car) and I get to use the radio to contorll it. :D I got it off of ebay though

bras0782

Post by bras0782 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:22 am

I got my cable yesterday - it's the one for the Mini. I can confirm it works fine except the very low volume others have eluded to :(

Will install in properly soon - need to decide between the ashtray option and the panel below the aircon controls.

Asthray: will I need to remove the DSC/heated seats controls to get the cable through? How do I do it and is it much work?

Panel: how do I open this - do I need to unclip it by getting to the back of it via the back of the head unit?

Thanks
2004, 53 plate, 3.0 Roadster, Sterling Grey