Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Build and install your own AUX Cable!

Spooky

Re: Build and install your own AUX Cable!

Post by Spooky » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:13 pm

srhutch wrote:excellent writeup, wouldnt it be worth buying some flying leads with the proper connectors on from BMW and the plug just to make it a bit more rugged and ensure he leads dont fall out. From memory the leads are £0.80 each and the plug also pennies.

That would mean talking to the eejit's at BMW Chandlers!!! :rofl:

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:19 pm

LazioMaster wrote:
srhutch wrote:excellent writeup, wouldnt it be worth buying some flying leads with the proper connectors on from BMW and the plug just to make it a bit more rugged and ensure he leads dont fall out. From memory the leads are £0.80 each and the plug also pennies.

That would mean talking to the eejit's at BMW Chandlers!!! :rofl:

But your right its probably a good idea, but mines in now alas.
Even better idea if someone was considering going into mass production to sell them on here (sk93)!!! :poke: :thumbsup: :P

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:52 pm

somebody else just posted about this.

http://www.incartunes.co.uk/pc7-bmw-01- ... -580-p.asp

For £12 delivered, it's not even worth trying to make your own.

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:21 am

I'll admit £12 is pretty competative to making it yourself.
However, if you do make it yourself, you can make the cable whatever length you like, meaning you can install it anywhere, and it's still going to be easier if you have bluetooth etc :)
Plus, there's the fun of doing it yourself :D

(but at £12, I'd have bought it myself :P)
:zzzz:

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:57 pm

srhutch wrote:somebody else just posted about this.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! you are joking me. :headbang:

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:29 am

I have now re-routed the cable, I have added 3.5mm to 3.5mm extension to the original cable(£5.99 @ Maplins). and routed it down the gearbox/handbrake tunnel.
This now means there are no wires showing anywhere except a few inches behind my drivers seat, This is a massive improvement on the original because I cant stand trailing wires. Then any ipod/phone can just be plugged straight in, and it sits nicely in the little cubby hole between the seats.

Total cost ; £16. Im happy again. :)

a11y
Lifer
Lifer

Post by a11y » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:46 pm

Ooh, good link! Just purchased one of the £12 leads because TBH at that price I can't be bothered heading to Maplin for the bits :D
::::: e90 330i M Sport :::::

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:51 pm

a11y wrote:Ooh, good link! Just purchased one of the £12 leads because TBH at that price I can't be bothered heading to Maplin for the bits :D

did you get that lead in the end? did it work??

a11y
Lifer
Lifer

Post by a11y » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:30 pm

LazioMaster wrote:
a11y wrote:Ooh, good link! Just purchased one of the £12 leads because TBH at that price I can't be bothered heading to Maplin for the bits :D

Yep, purchased and works absolutely fine with my Creative Zen (none of this iPod crap :P) - sound quality as good as CD as far as I can tell. I did need to purchase a 3.5mm to 3.5mm lead to link the MP3 player with the 3.5mm jack socket on the end of this lead, but this was only a couple of £££ from Tesco.
::::: e90 330i M Sport :::::

TH3CROW

Post by TH3CROW » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:48 pm

Does anyone know if these cables (the DIY one or the other one from internet) work with the BASIC RADIO-CD of our Z4's or is it mandatory to be plugged-in in a Business Radio-CD one???
Thanks for your help people!!

RX-78

Post by RX-78 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:04 pm

Great post sk93 :thumbsup: Even I might manage this one..... yeah I mean I might manage to convince my father in-law to do it for me :oops:
2015 E89 28i auto, mineral white, to be detailed!
2007 Z4 Coupe 3.0si SE Manual, Saphier Black Now gone

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:48 pm

a11y wrote:
LazioMaster wrote:

Yep, purchased and works absolutely fine with my Creative Zen (none of this iPod crap :P) - sound quality as good as CD as far as I can tell. I did need to purchase a 3.5mm to 3.5mm lead to link the MP3 player with the 3.5mm jack socket on the end of this lead, but this was only a couple of £££ from Tesco.

Glad it worked well, but your wrong about the ipods!!! :evil:

Bobbydm

Post by Bobbydm » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:51 pm

a11y wrote:
LazioMaster wrote:

I have the same cable as a11y and have fitted it to the rear of the head unit but have no AUX option :( :(

I have checked the wiring layout against the diagrams and it matches. I have also unplugged the main cable for 5 mins to try and reset it.... still nothing. The cable fits very well and is definitely secure... any ideas???????
"If it doesn't put a smile on your face, it's time to do something else!"

lacroupade
Lifer
Lifer

Post by lacroupade » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:22 pm

srhutch wrote:somebody else just posted about this.

Apologies if this is on the other Aux lead thread, but (i) I can't see what the other end of this lead is - is it a 3.5mm jack? And (ii) I bought the wrong lead in a rush on fleabay the other day but Sytner, who sold it, are happy to swap for the right thing. My question is - the lead I bought was not 3.5mm but iPod (which fecked me for a start) but was actually the fly lead for the MP3 player and was made to go into a Mini connector (in the dash not on the head unit itself) that had both 3.5mm female and a USB connection which would suit me.....anyone know if theres a head unit lead like this that fits the Zed?
==============================================================
If toast always lands jam side down, and a cat always lands on its feet, what happens when you strap a piece of toast, jam side up, to the back of a cat?

Hendy

Post by Hendy » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:42 pm

After reading all the various post I decided to give the install a go and so purchased PC7-BMW-01 AUX in adaptor on fleabay. Managed to remove the vent without any difficulty, connected the lead to the rear of head unit and attached my ipod pressed mode function but aux does not appear. :( not sure if the lead is faulty or i have done something wrong any advice would be welcomed. Ta