Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

How to: swap headunit faceplates (and save yourself £60!)

a11y
Lifer
Lifer

Post by a11y » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:05 pm

This is a guide to swapping the faceplates on the standard BMW Business Radio, thus avoiding having to fork out £60+ on new airvents to match your newer headunit :roll:

Those of us with Z4s built before approx end-2004 will find their headunit won’t play MP3 discs. The standard solution – apart from buying an aux-in lead to connect up an MP3-player/iPod – is to buy a replacement headunit from a later build date BMW. BMWs from approx start-2005 came with headunits capable of playing MP3 discs – I’m unsure on the exact dates involved.

The easy way to distinguish what headunit you have is by the facia plate colour:
- grey-fronted: doesn’t play MP3 discs
- black-fronted: plays MP3 discs

However, buying a black-fronted headunit means your headunit will no longer match the grey colour of the centre airvents (older Z4s) directly above the headunit: these vents are grey in older Z4s. New vents will set you back around £60, but I was too tight to pay this!

I won a black-coloured headunit from a 2007-year BMW X3 on ebay, and set about fitting it. This involves removing the airvents above the headunit to access the screws holding the headunit into the dash: see HERE for a guide. Once the vents are out, simply loosen the screws holding the headunit in and disconnect the plugs. Et voila, one removed headunit.

The next stage is to swap over the faceplates – this really is a 5min job.

There are four torx screws (T9 size) holding the faceplate to the main body of the headunit, 2 either side. I’ve circled them in the photos below but BMW had thoughtfully coloured the torx heads green to identify them :).

Pic 1: Torx screws side 1

Pic 2: Torx screws side 2

Once undone, carefully prise the faceplate away from the body – be careful as the only thing now holding the 2 parts together is the electrical connecting strip thingy.

Pic 3: electrical/data connecting strip thingy

Carefully prise the edge of the connector up to loosen it at either side – there’s a little tab either side to help. The faceplate can now be separated from the main body of the headunit.

Pic 4: separating the 2 parts

Pic 5: faceplate detached

Reassembly is an exact reversal of the above. Be careful to ensure you insert the data/electrical connector thingy full and securely.

Congratulations – you’ve just saved yourself £60 on the cost of new matching air vents :)

Any queries, post up or PM me and I’ll answer what I can :)
Ally
::::: e90 330i M Sport :::::

PawnSacrifice
Lifer
Lifer

Re: How to: swap headunit faceplates (and save yourself £60!)

Post by PawnSacrifice » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:02 pm

What, why and how... good work!

Like the way you have a beer on the go too :thumbsup:
2003 2.5i. Info: Winter Tyres | PDF Manuals, Retrofit Instructions and Links | Modifications | YouTube | #Project924

Hey, wet-pants! This isn't the Womens Auxiliary Balloon Corps.

Greeno

Post by Greeno » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:57 pm

was just gonna say is the bottle of wife beater a critical tool for the job?
"Rules are for the guidance of the wise and the obedience of fools"

a11y
Lifer
Lifer

Post by a11y » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:39 am

Greeno wrote:was just gonna say is the bottle of wife beater a critical tool for the job?
100% definately yes :thumbsup:

Although if it was my choice I wouldn't have been drinking wife beater, but it was leftovers from our new year party so I'm not fussy!

It's probably a 3min job without the beer :oops:

Terryvision
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Terryvision » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:36 pm

I remember doing this many moons ago... Thread revival for the new members that might want to repair or change faceplates [emoji106]

a11y
Lifer
Lifer

Re: How to: swap headunit faceplates (and save yourself £60!

Post by a11y » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:37 pm

Just got an e-mail notification, couldn't for the life of me remember wtf this was! That was a loooong time ago...

jamesditchy

Re: How to: swap headunit faceplates (and save yourself £60!

Post by jamesditchy » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:59 pm

How much did you pay for the replacement head unit. Some of the buttons on mine gave stopped working and I've been quoted £80 to supply and fit a new face panel. I thought that was quite reasonable.

Terryvision
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Terryvision » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:21 am

jamesditchy wrote:How much did you pay for the replacement head unit. Some of the buttons on mine gave stopped working and I've been quoted £80 to supply and fit a new face panel. I thought that was quite reasonable.
I was lucky I purchased a head unit (black fascia,MP3 comp) with broken buttons for £20! I just fitted my silver/grey fascia!

I now have a grey MP3 compatible head unit

That's an reasonable price, trying looking on eBay for a head unit but I think your be hard pressed to find one at that price!