Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

speaker upgrade info request

alfamale

speaker upgrade info request

Post by alfamale » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:38 am

I’m planning to upgrade the speakers on my 06 coupe, i believe i have the 6 speaker system as i definitely don’t have subs in the back panel
Does anybody have a list of speakers that fit the OEM holes or the dimensions of what will fit? also can you confirm the six speakers are 1 in left footwell, 1 tweeter in lh door post and 1 in lh back panel and the 4" grill in the door has nothing behind it, and same on rh side.
I’m away at the moment so cant go and check and ideally would like to order parts to have ready when i get back, as its the coupe i don’t need to use the rears as much so plan to put descent speakers in Footwell and door, i think its 6.5" in footwell and 4" in door but would like it confirmed before i get the plastic out.

any comment on what i plan are most welcome, the existing system is loud enough and the base is ok, what i want is a bit clearer as i think the oem set up is a bit muddy or muffled, i had my last car updated by just changing the door speakers and it made a huge improvement.
"it is very hard, it is very fast, it is very unforgiving, and it is ruddy marvellous. This is M at its very best" TOP GEAR

alfamale

Re: speaker upgrade info request

Post by alfamale » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:09 pm

OK i can confirm 6.5 inch for footwell

found this very usefull
http://www.crutchfield.com/app/car/cars ... 0%26tp%3d9&
put your car details in and it tells you what fits and if any adapters are needed.
"it is very hard, it is very fast, it is very unforgiving, and it is ruddy marvellous. This is M at its very best" TOP GEAR

Dr _Rod

Post by Dr _Rod » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:13 pm

Hi got the same set up as yourself and looking in upgrading as well if i find any info i pass it on

think of just upgrade speakers and leave the head unit alone!!

many thanks :)

Alan

alfamale

Post by alfamale » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:38 pm

had a look last weekend, 6.5 will fit no problem but you need an adapter ring, OEM's are 6.3/4 with a non symmetrical bolt pattern, i may add some 4" to the empty door grills as well if just the footwell speakers don’t solve the problem

gapTech

Post by gapTech » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:22 am

Hi
I've also got the standard 6 speaker setup and I've just bought 2 x
http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product ... -24087.htm for the footwels, and 4 x
http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product ... -19733.htm 2 for the doors and 2 for behind the seats.
Going to keep my standard head unit, but I may fit a couple of bass units into the opening behind the seats later if the bass is still not good enough, not going for an amp yet - I'm after quality not mega volume.

Just got the panels off from the footwells and removed the speakers there and the new one isn't a direct drop in, no matter, I'll pick up some 6mm MDF tomorrow and make an adapter plate.
Not looked at the fitting for doors or rears yet.

2003, 2.2, Maldives blue, Auto wipers, Auto lights, One Touch Hood

alfamale

Post by alfamale » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:11 pm

i fitted 87mm speakers in the door, this made it easy as the speaker missed the 3 bolts on the back of the door panel, i used the plastic blanking plate thats bolted to the back of the door panel as an adapter by routing out the middle, the JBL speaker has only 2 fixing lugs, one picked up with one of the 3 bolts and the other i used a countersunk bolt to the plastic plate, took the feed from the tweeter wire as there are no spare wires in the door
door speakers make a big difference on the 6 speaker system, also when i fitted the JBL footwell speakers they came with a selection of adapter rings which i used so no mdf work.

Rich-hill

Post by Rich-hill » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:26 pm

alfamale wrote:i fitted 87mm speakers in the door, this made it easy as the speaker missed the 3 bolts on the back of the door panel, i used the plastic blanking plate thats bolted to the back of the door panel as an adapter by routing out the middle, the JBL speaker has only 2 fixing lugs, one picked up with one of the 3 bolts and the other i used a countersunk bolt to the plastic plate, took the feed from the tweeter wire as there are no spare wires in the door
door speakers make a big difference on the 6 speaker system, also when i fitted the JBL footwell speakers they came with a selection of adapter rings which i used so no mdf work.

How do you get the new door speakers to work? Is there no cable routed for them?

Danderton

Post by Danderton » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:09 pm

Hi Gaptek

How did you get on with your install? Were the In Phase speakers any good in the doors? Im debating wether to go with them or try and get some components as im worried the tweeter in the Inphase will "interfere" with the tweeters in the door and sound rubbish.

In response to Rich-hill above, I think he must have tapped into the tweeter cable as apparantly its a full range signal that can feed a standard speaker in the door.

Cheers

Dan
Model: Sterling Grey 3.0i Z4 Roadster
Upgrades: M Steering Wheel : ZHP : 224 Alloys : Black Kidneys : Clear Repeaters : Pioneer X580DAB : Stubby

bcworkz

Post by bcworkz » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:50 pm

This link probably replicates information in links already posted, but who knows, someone may find something additionally useful. http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic ... 8&p=579722
"The cause of most problems are solutions" (06 3.0si, sport pkg)