Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Newbie in need of advice on iPhone integration...

Marf83

Newbie in need of advice on iPhone integration...

Post by Marf83 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:34 pm

Hey Guys & Girls,

I know that there's a lot of info already on this topic already available on the forum, but to be honest a lot of it is very specific/goes over my head so I was hoping to get some inspiration from the set ups people already have.

I am due to collect a 2004 zed 3.0 SE black on black, with factory nav & (I think) upgraded hifi sound system on Friday.

It currently has a parrot mki9100 system in it which as you guys will know allows for Bluetooth & iPhone integration, this is great however I'm very keen on achieving an OEM look so at some point will be retrofitting a replacement Bluetooth kit MFSW etc.

On the audio side of things I would really like to be able to:

*Play & control (on MFSW) iPod/iPhone audio. See song details etc on nav screen
*Play video from iPod/iPhone (my car is my office & i spend a lot of time waiting for meetings etc...so would be nice distraction) on factory nav
*Add digi tv tuner
*Add reversing camera

I have seen a lot of posts (although some seem quite old) on how to achieve some of these facilities using aftermarket products such as:

Intravee 2
Dice
Mediabridge

Could someone please point me in the right direction/talk me through current set ups etc as I've got a feeling that if i follow the advice of the audio shops I've spoken to sooo far I'll end up buying everything & it costing an absolute fortune.

Huge thanks in advance.

Marf

RichardP

Re: Newbie in need of advice on iPhone integration...

Post by RichardP » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:50 pm

Play and control of an iPod/iPhone plus display of video on the factory Nav monitor are almost mutually exclusive. Realistically the only way to have both is to have two iPod connections, one for music with headunit/MFW control and one for video with control via the iPod.

All the iPod interfaces use the CD Changer controls for the iPod, when watching the TV the controls are changed to control the TV.

The TV module has a composite video input, but this only has a poor quality mono audio input. You can switch audio to the previously selected source with some interfaces which can enable you to get a good quality Stereo audio input and video together.

Adding a digital TV tuner is expensive but plug and play.

Adding a reversing camera is easy as the TV module has the connections for it, BMW sell a kit or you can use after market.

The DICE and MediaBridge are pretty much the same device, they are made by the same company. The older DICE and DICE Silverline were very unreliable, the newer DICE Silverline Duo is just a cut down MediaBridge.

The Intravee gives full text display using all the Nav monitor, the DICE products only use the top section of the display with current firmware.

Marf83

Re: Newbie in need of advice on iPhone integration...

Post by Marf83 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:31 pm

RichardP wrote:Play and control of an iPod/iPhone plus display of video on the factory Nav monitor are almost mutually exclusive. Realistically the only way to have both is to have two iPod connections, one for music with headunit/MFW control and one for video with control via the iPod.

All the iPod interfaces use the CD Changer controls for the iPod, when watching the TV the controls are changed to control the TV.

The TV module has a composite video input, but this only has a poor quality mono audio input. You can switch audio to the previously selected source with some interfaces which can enable you to get a good quality Stereo audio input and video together.

Adding a digital TV tuner is expensive but plug and play.

Adding a reversing camera is easy as the TV module has the connections for it, BMW sell a kit or you can use after market.

The DICE and MediaBridge are pretty much the same device, they are made by the same company. The older DICE and DICE Silverline were very unreliable, the newer DICE Silverline Duo is just a cut down MediaBridge.

The Intravee gives full text display using all the Nav monitor, the DICE products only use the top section of the display with current firmware.

Richard,

Thats a great help thanks.

So i would need to use something like the intravee system for the audio side of things (run a seperate ipod), & then I can plug both the reversing camera & a video/audio cable to the tv module to be able to play videos from my ipod on the nav screen.

Hope I've understood that properly.

Cheers

Marf
2004 Z4 3.0i Roadster
Black on Black
Factory Nav
108's
Parrot MKi9100
GapTech OTR+
ZHP
Eibach Pro Kit
Spacers - 20mm & 15mm