Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

HOW TO: Install DICE Duo with DSP

spearman

HOW TO: Install DICE Duo with DSP

Post by spearman » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:48 am

This topic has been covered in depth on numerous occasions but it's simply scattered across multiple forums and without any pictures (an offence of forum rule number 1)!

There was some key information that was difficult to find when I was installing my DICE setup which this guide should solve.

1) BEFORE you buy or pull apart your boot, sit in the driving seat and check your radio. On the left hand side of the radio you'll see a musical note button - press it a few times. Does it show concert/church/jazz? If the answer is yes, you HAVE DSP and will require the DICE DSP adapter.

DSP has different interfaces to the standard BMW stereos - which is what the dice duo is designed for, hence the requirement for an adapter.

This is what DSP looks like:
The brass interface is the difference between standard and DSP systems.

2) This is the DSP adapter, which can be purchased online. I got mine from dynamic sounds in Wandsworth, London.

Connect the DSP cable which you'll find connected to the CD changer or, will be loose in the CD changer space.
Supplied with the DSP adapter is two other cables:
- audio output (from dsp adapter)
- power(for the dsp adapter).

Both connect to the dsp adapter which is self explanatory (pictured above).

3) Finding a power source for the DSP adapter. You can connect to the amp power source, but I found it far easier to connect to the duo power source. Image
This picture shows:
Top left - 3 pin adapter from car
Bottom left - 3 pin female - this supplies power to the duo, and where we're going to connect the dsp adapter power.
Right - 6 pin audio input

On the 3-pin female cable you'll see a black cable and a yellow cable. This is the power source. Strip back the protective cover a few inches. Make a small insertion into the black/yellow cables to expose the copper. Connect the DSP power to the 3 Pin power source as below, and wrap in electrical tape(I used red).

DSP Power - 3 Pin power source
Black - Black
Black with white stripe(12v) - Yellow

Here's a picture:

Sorry, not the best image. I was rummaging around in the boot at 10pm Friday night.

4) follow the bav sound YouTube video for dice due cable routing in the z4.

This is what your the final result should look like:
I haven't connected the 6pin in this pic:

Hopefully this will help someone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2008 ///M Roadster

srhutch

Re: HOW TO: Install DICE Duo with DSP

Post by srhutch » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:22 am

Good write up, but regarding the DSP interface, this is only required on pre face lift cars. There is no difference on post face lift models.

srhutch

Re: HOW TO: Install DICE Duo with DSP

Post by srhutch » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:24 am

Good write up, but regarding the DSP interface, this is only required on pre face lift cars. There is no difference on post face lift models.