Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

iPod & iPhone integration with BMW Business Headunit

SpikedJuice

Post by SpikedJuice » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:30 pm

Howdy.

I've finally got tired of carrying around my CD collection with me and would like iPod/iPhone integration with my BMW Business Headunit.

I've got a 2004 2.5i with the basic BMW audio sound system with a 6 CD changer in the central storage area behind the seats. I also have a MSFW. I don't have satellite navigation and therefore don't have the screen.

I would like to add iPod connectivity to the car. If I can add bluetooth connectivity to an iPhone 4S to answer and make calls as well as listen to music, that would be great too. I would also like to be able to use the buttons on the MSFW to control the iPod (skip tracks and volume) as well as make and receive calls.

I would very much like to keep the OEM look too :D

Many thanks in advance for your help!
2.5i
BMW Stubby | ZHP gearknob | DICE MediaBridge | ///M tri-colour MFSW

JamieMcDermott

Post by JamieMcDermott » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:06 pm

You need a Dice mediabridge, it does everything you want, for about 180 squid!
Boobies!
Sapphire Black, red leather 3.0 sound generator delete
MFSW
Bluetooth
Dice ipod/iphone connection and dock
E46 M3 19's
Reinhold one touch roof module & remote roof module
Black kidneys
De-gingered with angel eyes
Stubby!
Retrofit cruise

moonshine

Post by moonshine » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:09 pm

I have had a e46 3 series, an e87 1series & a e91 3 series.

i used a Parrot 3000 evo hands free kit with a connects2 ppar007 wiring loom which gave full bluetooth connectivity with all wires hidden. into this i plugged a DICE ipod integration kit, which plugged into the CD changer wires, replacing the changer. the Ipod plugs into the DICE lead.

The Connects2 loom plugs into the stereo leads & allows full use of the wheel controls & the DICE Kit plugs into the Connects2 loom as well.

no wires need cut.
the hardest part is hiding cables.
ive just stripped all this kit out of my E46 in advance of chopping in my car against my new e89 which i should get on Friday...
no longer in a '09 BMW Z4 sDrive23i :( Now driving a F31 335xd :)

moonshine

Post by moonshine » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:12 pm

my e46 was a 2004 model with the std business head unit, so it is likely all this would work on your 04 z4.
if you are interested, let me know

PawnSacrifice
Lifer
Lifer

Re: iPod & iPhone integration with BMW Business Headunit

Post by PawnSacrifice » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:14 pm

I use a Dension Gateway...
Business CD iPod Connection

The way it is hoocked up I hardly ever touch the iPod, only to update it with new music. The iPod itself is in the glovebox so nicely out of the way. It hasn't drained the battery at all, sometimes being left a week or two without the car being used - I know some have had an issue with this.
2003 2.5i. Info: Winter Tyres | PDF Manuals, Retrofit Instructions and Links | Modifications | YouTube | #Project924

Hey, wet-pants! This isn't the Womens Auxiliary Balloon Corps.

moonshine

Post by moonshine » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:39 pm

the advantage of DICE over Dension in my opinion is that the click wheel and screen of the iPod remains active, so one can still use the wheel features. f i am correct, the dension units lock the screen and click wheel, so you need to use the head unit to browse the ipod, which is slow, especially if there is a lot on it.

I had a 20gb ipod in the car which i left in it, and I would choose playlists / podcasts / shuffle etc on the ipod, and then have the tracl ID on the H/U. Steering wheel controls to skip / scan tracks & volume.

One can still use the various functions like select albulm / playlist etc via the h/u, but i just found it slower and more fiddly...

moonshine

Post by moonshine » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:42 pm

this was my post from the 1 series install - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5751

SpikedJuice

Post by SpikedJuice » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:25 pm

Thanks for your advice so far.

I've read a bit about Dice products and they seem to have a bit of a patchy record :( Is the Mediabridge one of their more reliable products?

Would the Denison Gateway 500 be worthwhile over the 300 as it offers bluetooth connectivity (with the additional adapter)?
2.5i
BMW Stubby | ZHP gearknob | DICE MediaBridge | ///M tri-colour MFSW

navid.v
Lifer
Lifer

Post by navid.v » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:14 pm

I have the oem ipod adapter no bluetooth connection though!

PawnSacrifice
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PawnSacrifice » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:12 am

moonshine wrote:...if i am correct, the Dension units lock the screen and click wheel...
Not sure on that, I thought it could be set to lock it or not, kind of irrelevant for me anyway, as it would mean having the iPod in the cabin / cables coming into the cabin and I've gone to too much trouble keeping things OEM to have cables running about the place where not absolutely necessary!
SpikedJuice wrote:I've read a bit about Dice products and they seem to have a bit of a patchy record :( Is the Mediabridge one of their more reliable products?

Would the Denison Gateway 500 be worthwhile over the 300 as it offers bluetooth connectivity (with the additional adapter)?
DICE Silverline products, which I had, were largely rubbish - there is a YouTube clip of someone destroying his out of frustration.

People seem to be recommending DICE’s other products though, so they may have turned it around.

I think some products are quite sensitive with their iPhone support so I would double check the version support direct on the vendor’s site.
2003 2.5i. Info: Winter Tyres | PDF Manuals, Retrofit Instructions and Links | Modifications | YouTube | #Project924

Hey, wet-pants! This isn't the Womens Auxiliary Balloon Corps.