Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Does my car have Bluetooth or not???

123BillyB

Does my car have Bluetooth or not???

Post by 123BillyB » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:43 pm

Hi PPL,

Had been looking at a few articles on this forum last week as I was thinking of buying a Z4 and found it very informative and helpful so I then went and bought a 55 plate 3.0 se over the weekend.

One of the reasons I bought this one was that it was low mileage, full service history and a hell of a lot of extras on it such as Sat Nav, Wind Deflector (even the rackets in the boot to stow it), Xenons... the list goes on. One thing I cant see is a phone menu on the nav screen (there is a telephone button below but it seems it doesn't do anything) and because of that I'm pretty sure it doesn't currently have Bluetooth but I'm not sure if it is already pre-wired for Bluetooth as I have been told a lot of features in a lot of cars are already there but just need additional bits to activate / connect.

I went to a local independent local BMW dealer as he also sells after market kits to get a quote and he also said certain bits may already be pre-wired so it may be easier to go with the factory stuff depending on what is there already, failing that they could quote me for an after market kit. That all sounded great till he then told me he would charge me an hours labour (£75.00) just to have a look at what I potentially already have and what I would need and then he would generate me a quote!!! Does he want the business or what???

As this forum is full of knowledge, I just wanted to know if there is a simple way of looking in certain areas, for certain items, to tell if the car has certain bits so I'll know from there what I need and what the job might cost me.

Alternatively if any of you guys know of any good bluetooth kits that will integrate into MK4 Sat Nav, I'm all ears.

Many thanks to everyone in advance.

Billy
Rare 55 Plate 3.0i SE with AC Type IV Bi-Colour Alloys - Too may mods to list and not many left to go :D

Stuart Truman
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Does my car have Bluetooth or not???

Post by Stuart Truman » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:02 pm

Hello and Welcome!

If you take a look at this thread http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic ... 31&t=20747 it shows you where to find the bluetooth module. If fitted it's on the boot bulkhead inside the boot behind the passenger seat. You'll see a square on the carpet covering where the electronics are.

If not a Dice mediabridge might be the way to go and they apparently have good integration into the audio system and you'll have the added benefit of iPod and USB connectivity.

Good luck!
Add yourself to the Z4 Map HERE! Instructions HERE!
Z4M Roadster, Imola Red, with Stubby and Intravee II. Low Miles per Gallon, High Smiles per Gallon
Previously Alpina Roadster S #69 Alpina Blue

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:41 pm

Easiest way is to open the flap in the rear centre console and see if you have a pairing button and phone cradle.

If not the car is not pre wired so you would need a complete kit which is mega bucks. You might not even be able to get hold of the looms now as you can't for Nav.

123BillyB

Post by 123BillyB » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:22 pm

Thanks guys...

Defiantly haven't got a pairing button and phone cradle in the rear centre console so I guess that's a no then... or is it?

Will have a look in the boot on the weekend as the dealer did say the primary bits might be there but not all of it.

Failing that, I'll check out the Dice mediabridge.

Billy
Rare 55 Plate 3.0i SE with AC Type IV Bi-Colour Alloys - Too may mods to list and not many left to go :D

AlanJ
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AlanJ » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:25 pm

Hi and welcome to the Forum :thumbsup:
///M tri colour steering wheel, mud flaps and loads of other extras! ZHP illuminated gear lever..... Pre Purchase Checks,Getting the Best out of Dealers http://www.bmwz4roadster.net

123BillyB

Post by 123BillyB » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:18 pm

Thanks Alan.

Stuart,

Checked out the Dice Mediabridge MB1500 on eBay for £179.95 with the BMW harness and it sounds like a good deal plus a lot less hassle than bothering with the OEM kit so might just roll with that.

Its not even needed for the media connectivity so it will be hidden away without any exposed wiring or visible units... Really need one as I don't want to get 3 points for using a phone whilst driving as with ANPR monitoring documents, that's all the coppers seem to lock out for now.

Billy

bluestreak56
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bluestreak56 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:18 pm

Another check is the speaker for the mic is located on top of the steering wheel if you have it..

See the small grated peice here:

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:24 pm

bluestreak56 wrote:Another check is the speaker for the mic is located on top of the steering wheel if you have it..

See the small grated peice here:

That's only on facelift models, per facelift mic is next the the rear view mirror.

123BillyB

Post by 123BillyB » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:27 am

The more I look into the Mediabridge, the more it makes scene as I don't have any Apple products but if it disables my CD changer, I can always place this unit in the top rear storage above DVD and plug in a memory stick with MP3's. Also the prise isn't too bad.

Have just emailed the supplier a few questions regarding what is involved in the kit and if it fully integrates with Nav System etc so thanks for all your help guys on this one.

Has anyone else fitted this kit? what do they think of it?

Also is it a doable job for a competent DIY'er or is professional installation required? If so, at what approx cost?

Sorry to be a pain but I want to get this done asap but need to make sure I am getting the right stuff.

Billy