Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Making a switch for AUX/Sat Nav?

Hayley

Making a switch for AUX/Sat Nav?

Post by Hayley » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:59 pm

This is my first post on here so hello!

I bought my Z4 Coupe in June and shortly after fitted an AUX input so I could listen to music from my phone via Bluetooth. This all works fine but I had to remove the CD changer cable from the back of the stereo in order to insert the AUX cable.. so I no longer have any sound when using the Sat Nav. This isn't a major problem as I rarely use it but I was wondering if there is a way to create some kind of adaptor with a switch (perhaps in the glove box) so that I could switch the input to the CD changer on the rare occasions that I need the Sat Nav?

I did do a search on here but couldn't find anything so any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Hayley

Dav the wheel nut
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Making a switch for AUX/Sat Nav?

Post by Dav the wheel nut » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:15 pm

Not sure but the answer may be somewhere in THIS THREAD

peddy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by peddy » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:35 pm

I think you have an issue. This isn't normal. I don't have a CD changer at all and have AUX. The Sat Nav Women keeps talking! :)

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:33 pm

You need to remove the pins from the aux plug and insert them into the gaps in the cd/Nav plug then you can have all three.
Last edited by srhutch on Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Guiseley

Post by Guiseley » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:38 pm

peddy wrote:I think you have an issue. This isn't normal. I don't have a CD changer at all and have AUX. The Sat Nav Women keeps talking! :)
No I think op is correct I did the same as a quick fix and now can't be bothered to do a proper job - newbie follow the hutch and you can't go far wrong.
Blue Z4C now long gone, as is it's replacement, and the Red Zed's gone too.. now piloting a rather tasty Carmine flat6

Hayley

Post by Hayley » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:54 pm

Thanks for your replies, I'll give it a go at the weekend! :D

Mau

Post by Mau » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:07 am

In order to install an AUX plug, you do not need to remove the CD Changer nor the Satnav lady. CD Changer is in the B plug. Aux should be in the C plu, I think pins 3,4 and 10 (but exact pin numbers can be found around here). when using these, it also shows up as AUX in your menu. That is the one and only way to go ...
Image More on the '03 roadster and '08 coupe:click me.

andysat
Lifer
Lifer

Post by andysat » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:55 pm

Hi and welcome-hope you get it sorted! :)
Gone but not forgotten.
New ride silver e93.

bcworkz

Post by bcworkz » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:25 pm

Info here is slightly confusing. I'll take a stab at it, hopefully this helps rather than making things worse.

The sat nav is in the same plug/connector as the aux, but on different pins (3,4,10 as Mau said), as well as bluetooth. It is the CD that is in a different plug. CD has nothing to do with this, I think the OP was a bit confused. Forget about CD. Nav is on pins 5,9,11. Bluetooth is on 6,12. All on the smaller C plug off to the side a bit.

There's no reason everything can't work together, just a matter of getting the right wires to the right pins.
C plug numbering:
You can get wire assignments (+,-/R,L) and colour codes from wds.spaghetticoder.org
"The cause of most problems are solutions" (06 3.0si, sport pkg)

Hayley

Post by Hayley » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:35 am

bcworkz wrote:Info here is slightly confusing. I'll take a stab at it, hopefully this helps rather than making things worse.

The sat nav is in the same plug/connector as the aux, but on different pins (3,4,10 as Mau said), as well as bluetooth. It is the CD that is in a different plug. CD has nothing to do with this, I think the OP was a bit confused. Forget about CD. Nav is on pins 5,9,11. Bluetooth is on 6,12. All on the smaller C plug off to the side a bit.

There's no reason everything can't work together, just a matter of getting the right wires to the right pins.
C plug numbering:
You can get wire assignments (+,-/R,L) and colour codes from wds.spaghetticoder.org
Thanks for the advice, had a go at it last night and it worked as you said. So I now have AUX and the sat nav ladies voice is back too! :)

Hayley