Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Refitted my Intravee

Stuart Truman
Lifer
Lifer

Refitted my Intravee

Post by Stuart Truman » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:01 pm

When I first got my Intravee I was a bit slapdash in installing it. I suspect my tracker is in the space where I should have installed the Alpine Module (next to the Bluetooth module on the standoff plate) so I mounted the Alpine module in the boot in one of the recesses. Not ideal.

So today I decided to check out an easier route for the wiring as I intend to fit a specdock in the ashtray for the iPhone/iPod. Looking at the videos on youtube about fitting a dice I decided to follow their routing. The Intravee to KCA cable isn't long enough to support putting the KCA module up near the ashtray but it did allow me to route the wiring into the cabin and put the KCA module under the passenger seat.

This is where I've mounted my Intravee, it's safely in the protection of the standoff plate and wiring bundle, but there is no way to route cables through the cubby hole without major dismantling and cussing.

If you remove the cubbyhole, or rear speaker grill from behind the passenger seat, you'll allow light through into the boot to see a clear and easy route for wiring to pass through...

Routing the wire around the standoff plate and through the gap into the cabin like so...

leaves you thinking that with the basic sound system, the KCA would fit nicely here...

or here

Remove the screws holding the main cabin trim on the lower edge of the cubbyhole to allow you to pull it gently away and route the wiring through.

Unfortunately the cubbyhole won't go back in as BMW kindly maxed out it's size to the gap behind it. Can't complain I suppose, ho hum :headbang:

So it has become another under the seat electronic box like so, although further under the seat and flat...

The wiring tucks up under the plastic trim quite snugly, so won't drop out.I'd prefer to route the wire from the Intravee to the KCA module under the carpets, but am frankly too lazy to dismantle the car to hide something that can't be seen anyway. Just make sure the wires are well clear of the seat runners etc to avoid amputating them.

I've left the USB cable for the Intravee in the boot tucked under the carpets, it's the easiest place to put the laptop and update it.

Next steps, a specdock to have the phone secure in the cabin and charging.

Oh, and don't forget to put the shelf in the boot down, lest you think your roof motor has failed afterwards :oops:

Hope this helps anyone thinking of fitting one.
Add yourself to the Z4 Map HERE! Instructions HERE!
Z4M Roadster, Imola Red, with Stubby and Intravee II. Low Miles per Gallon, High Smiles per Gallon
Previously Alpina Roadster S #69 Alpina Blue

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Refitted my Intravee

Post by markeg » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:44 pm

:thumbsup: Nice Stuart - went the same way through (via the cubby holes) but left my intravee and KCA in the boot area. Found the cable routes nicely, tucked under the transmission tunnel cover. Good luck with the specdock, eventually built my own as I wasn't impressed with the cost of the original from the website :o
EDITED: to remove auto-carrot
Last edited by markeg on Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
previous: Alpina Roadster S, #108: gone
current: MB C-class
"veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around..."

Stuart Truman
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Stuart Truman » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:46 pm

Yep, I was using your original guide, but I have an electronics box where you put your KCA. I'm assuming that's my tracker as they fit them in strange places.
Z4M Roadster, Imola Red, with Stubby and Intravee II. Low Miles per Gallon, High Smiles per Gallon

aquazi
Lifer
Lifer

Post by aquazi » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:42 am

I am sure i stuck KCA next to my Bt module.... And left the intravee under the lower shelf in the firewall.

But i want to fit a dock in my car too... In the little coin holder infront of the cubby hole.

Stuart Truman
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Stuart Truman » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:42 pm

aquazi wrote:I am sure i stuck KCA next to my Bt module.... And left the intravee under the lower shelf in the firewall.

But i want to fit a dock in my car too... In the little coin holder infront of the cubby hole.
I have a mystery module where you and Markeg have fitted yours. I suspect I found my Tracker.

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:34 am

Stuart, as I have some spare time to mess this up myself, some questions if I may :

1. I assume you removed the carpet in the boot, and where the Intravee is located is left of centre, right ?

2. Can I get easy access to the CD changer wiring loom by simply removing the carpet or do I need to dismantle more than that ?

3. Did you just use strong double-sided sticky tape / Velcro to secure both the Intravee and Alpine unit in place ?

I will now get off and do a better search for everything else I need to know - ta :thumbsup:
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

Stuart Truman
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Stuart Truman » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:59 pm

Bing wrote:Stuart, as I have some spare time to mess this up myself, some questions if I may :

1. I assume you removed the carpet in the boot, and where the Intravee is located is left of centre, right ?
You don't need to remove it, just undo the fasteners (4, I think) and use some clips to hold it up out of the way. If you have the cubbyhole release cable you will need to make a small cut in the carpet to push it through so the carpet can be moved up. You won't notice it afterwards.
Bing wrote: 2. Can I get easy access to the CD changer wiring loom by simply removing the carpet or do I need to dismantle more than that ?
Yes. If you have DSP you might find a metal frame in the way. This just means you need nimble fingers and prepare to swear a lot. :)
Bing wrote: 3. Did you just use strong double-sided sticky tape / Velcro to secure both the Intravee and Alpine unit in place ?
Yes, heavy duty Velcro. I mounted the Intravee on top of the wiring bundle with is deeper than the Intravee thus protecting it from stuff moving in the boot)
Bing wrote: I will now get off and do a better search for everything else I need to know - ta :thumbsup:
Good luck! :thumbsup:

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:12 pm

Excellent - thanks Stuart :thumbsup:
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

andysat
Lifer
Lifer

Post by andysat » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:21 pm

Great job mate! :thumbsup:
Gone but not forgotten.
New ride silver e93.

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:58 pm

Sorted - did this today. Your pics really helped Stuart :thumbsup:

Couple of tips :

The trim clips in the boot unscrew. Tricky to get out, I put my fingers behind / between the trim between the two parts to apply pressure so the thread worked. Watch out for the backs falling off behind the trim you are not moving - I found them easily. When you put them back on, which is a complete PITA, try to press the back against something then line up the screw and keep pressed as you wind them in. Hardest part of the whole install :roll:

Remember to empty the CD changer (if you have it) before unplugging it, as you will of course lose power to it. I did not, luckily I had not put all the boot trim back so easily put the little connector that feeds power back into the CD unit.

Now all I need to do is update the firmware - I suspect (looking at the display) that mine has not been updated for some time. But that's a job for tomorrow... And perhaps a job for srhutch on Sunday if I cannot figure it out :D

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:22 pm

I'm sure I can sort that for you Bing :thumbsup:

Tip on the carpet screws, I super glued the backs in place so that they are easy to do up and don't fall out next time I remove.

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:32 pm

Cheers Mr Hutch :thumbsup:

B@lls, never thought of superglue :roll:

mac27040
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mac27040 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:47 pm

New firmware for intravee to be uploaded soon. I'm running version 7016
3.0i SMG Supercharged,19" CSL, AvinUSA android 10.25” screen,DSP,M6 gearknob,Coilovers,Aero F-bumper,M r-bumper,Aero skirts,Facelift front & rear lights,M sports seats,Carbon Steering wheel,Intravee,Rervese cam,Hydrographics

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Mon May 20, 2013 3:38 pm

Just discovered that I can have my (LED) sidelights on as DLR lights by selecting 'AE AS DLR'. Feels slightly boy racer, but I like :D

aquazi
Lifer
Lifer

Post by aquazi » Mon May 20, 2013 3:46 pm

Bing wrote:Just discovered that I can have my (LED) sidelights on as DLR lights by selecting 'AE AS DLR'. Feels slightly boy racer, but I like :D
I tried that and it didnt work with my halo's :(

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk