Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

USA SPEC IPOD Install Problems

z4guyutah

USA SPEC IPOD Install Problems

Post by z4guyutah » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:43 pm

Hi,

I have a 2006 Z4 Si Roadster. As far as I know the changer has never been installed and that was somewhat confirmed by the cables and connectors being jammed under the housing in the trunk. The radio shows a DSP software option (Church, etc) but not a specific DSP button. I also have the newer IPOD (lightning connector).

I bought the USA SPEC PA12-BMW DSP IPOD interface and installed it. Since I don't have the DSP single pin connector I'm assuming my DSP is a software based one and doesn't therefore meet the DSP spec. But I am told the USA SPEC DSP version is supposed to work for either.

I connected the USA SPEC to the CD changer via the 6 and 3 pin connectors in the trunk, then to the USA SPEC control box and finally to the standard provided IPOD 30 pin connector cable. I also bought a genuine Apple lightning to 30 pin connector and connected that to the 30 pin USA SPEC connector. I bought the genuine Apple so that I would be sure if any issues cropped up it likely wasn't the cable.

When I turn on the car and connect the IPOD I don't get any CD changer related options when I push the Mode button. I just get the existing single in-dash CD and radio displays.

In addition the radio acts bizarrely and the behavior varies somewhat based on whether I have the module connected before or after I turn the car on. One of the things that happens is when the radio works (plays music) it will continue to play after I turn it off. Another weird thing that sometimes happens is that the time shows as being not programmed (dashed lines on radio) on the radio but the console version is fine. I also get the key-in warning beep when I shouldn't when it's plugged in and earlier the lights on the console (speedo and tach) would light up without the headlights being on but that is not happening now.

If it makes a difference in diagnosis I can further explain the connections and sequence and what bizarre stuff happens.

Any ideas on what's going on?

Thanks VERY much!

DMike

Re: USA SPEC IPOD Install Problems

Post by DMike » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:55 am

Just a few ideas... have you tried disconnecting the battery? And regarding the dsp kind, is there a coaxial cable connected to the amplifier?
2005 Z4 3.0i Sterling grey

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:45 am

There will be no coaxial Cable as it is a face lift model.

What interface have you bought exactly?

z4guyutah

Post by z4guyutah » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:59 pm

Thanks for the replies guys.

DMike - I haven't disconnected the battery yet. What do you think that will do? I know when I disconnect the box from the changer cable everything thankfully goes back to normal. As srhutch said there doesn't seem to be the co-ax coming from the amp.

I had read something about having to have the radio coded to accept the signal from the CD Changer since it has never been installed before. I called my BMW dealer and they agreed that could be the problem (of course since it's $180 or $250 to do almost nothing I suspect). However my thought on that is if it was only a signal reception problem the radio would simply not see the IPOD but this is screwing up the circuits somehow so I have no idea what's going on. I rechecked the connections on the 3 and 6 pin and they look to be correct.

I have the USA SPEC PA12-BMW dsp - It's one of the better rated IPOD interface modules.

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:02 pm

The radio will not need coding, the dealer is talking utter crap.