Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

What iphone options with DSP

samZ4M

What iphone options with DSP

Post by samZ4M » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:19 pm

Old member back in a Z4M, car has the DSP (not listed on advert) and I'm wondering what I can do with it? Car also has BT plus.

Ideally I'd like a iphone cable, so it can play music and charge, and I imagine use the bluetooth for the phone.

What can I do to get this? Or do I need to have an AUX and charger separately?

hopz121
Lifer
Lifer

Re: What iphone options with DSP

Post by hopz121 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:05 pm

Do you have an AUX in the centre console under the heater controls?
2004 BMW E46 M3 Coupe - Manual - Silver Grey
2017 BMW F31 318d M-Sport - Auto - Glacier Silver
2007 Porsche Cayman 2.7 - Manual - Arctic Silver
2003 Renault Clio 172 Cup - Blue
2003 BMW E85 Z4 3.0i - Gone
2008 BMW E90 330i SE - Gone

samZ4M

Post by samZ4M » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:33 am

No aux ( that I spotted).

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:51 am

You can either build/buy an aux cable, or you need to look at buying either a Denison or Dice (Audiovox) Mediabridge 1500.
The aux cable will give you audio (obviously), but nothing else.

If, like me, you wanted to be able to control the iphone from the car, you need to buy a proper 3rd party integration box like Denison or Dice.

I went the mediabridge route after lots of investigation, and haven't regretted it.
With DSP, like me originally, you will need to buy the additional DSP adapter module (this is true for Denison or Dice).

These modules give you native iphone support via USB and/or bluetooth.

I can't speak for the denison, but the mediabridge now also works with siri natively via bluetooth as well, which is really nice. :thumbsup:
:zzzz:

samZ4M

Post by samZ4M » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:01 am

Sounds like what I need. I've got a AUX on my 330, and it's a pain, so want a better solution.

So the mediabridge will give me a wire for my iphone, so it'll charge and play music?

Does it replace the CD changer, or will that work too?

I've just looked at the DSP adapter, and it says it's only needs upto 2006. Mine is a 56 plate, still required?

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:03 am

It will indeed. you get a female USB cable that you can plug the iphone cable in, with which you can get track information on your radio, plus track control.
it will also charge the phone.

You also get an aux cable, and bluetooth connectivity with the mediabridge, which can be switch to and from directly from the radio (using the track select buttons during the first couple of seconds after selecting the mediabridge via the mode button - don't worry, it's obvious when you actually use it!)

It WILL replace the cd changer, so unless you go down the route I have and hack it back in, you should treat either of these devices as a repalcement to the CD changer, rather than an addition.

2006 is the "odd" year.. you MAY need it, you may not.
The best way to check is to examine the plugs on the back of your CD changer.
if it's got two square plugs (one four pin and one six pin from memory!), then you've got the later version of DSP and do NOT need the adapter.
If, like me, you've got one square plug and one round coax cable, then you've got the earlier version of DSP and DO need the adapter.

(with that said, this actually might not be true for the older cars, as I know ALL standard z4 stereo's have active pins in the rear of the unit for cd changer in. which are used by the newer DSP system, and not by the older. When my DSP amp drowned, I switched to using these pins directly for my media bridge, and everything worked a-ok.. but obviously, without a DSP amp, I can no longer test my theory - so if you want to play safe and have the old system, get the adaptor :))

samZ4M

Post by samZ4M » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:10 am

Very informative thanks. I'll wait until I've got the car and can check then.

Mine is a late '06, september I think, so might be lucky and save a few ££

I suppose if I've got it all nicely sorted to charge and play music, I'm not fussed about the CD changer.

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:16 am

samz4 wrote:Very informative thanks. I'll wait until I've got the car and can check then.

Mine is a late '06, september I think, so might be lucky and save a few ££

I suppose if I've got it all nicely sorted to charge and play music, I'm not fussed about the CD changer.
I doubt you'll miss it.

what could work really well is buying a USB Y-cable and cutting/blocking the data lines to one of the Y ends.
Then, you could plug your phone into that cut end for charging, and connect to the mediabridge via bluetooth.

Then, get a cheap usb flashdrive, fill it with mp3s, plug it into the other Y end (with the data lines intact), and the mediabridge will pick it up and allow you to navigate and play the music off that as well - effectively giving you a "digital" cd changer, as well as mobile phone support :thumbsup:

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:17 am

Just saw you've got an //M on the way.
You DONT need the adapter for that :thumbsup:

samZ4M

Post by samZ4M » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:20 am