Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Post 04 cruise control retrofit N52

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Post 04 cruise control retrofit N52

Post by gannet » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:06 pm

aquazi, it is clipped in around the middle of the steering column, just ease the clips out...
-- Gannet.
Current: MINI JCW... - Modification: Driver Upgraded :D
Previous: DS3 DSport, Z4 3.0SE, 206 GTi & XS, Alfa 147 Lusso

Bug

Post by Bug » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:09 pm

aquazi wrote: does the lower cowel just pull off after you remove the screw? i removed my screw and pulled my cowel pretty hard but it wouldnt budge.
As Gannet says the clips are on the the front face of the cowel either side of the steering column cutout. The clips are vertical if I remember correctly.
There are also two vertical pins that locate the two halves together, I managed to break one :oops: but it hasn't affected the alignment at all. I think my ham fisted method excludes me from advising the best way to separate the two halves :( but good luck, it's definately worth it.

Cheers
Dave

Guiseley

Post by Guiseley » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:39 pm

:ilz4f:

All sorted now - thanks to Bradders and his soldering iron, and a multitude of PMs to friendly forumites :cheers:

Anyone need any tips / help then use Jamiecarpenter's excellent write-up :) or get in touch.

I didn't bother with the repair cable, and confirm it's pin 39 (the fourth from the end of the block) - not pin 4 as per BMW instructions.
Blue Z4C now long gone, as is it's replacement, and the Red Zed's gone too.. now piloting a rather tasty Carmine flat6

Ellardo

Post by Ellardo » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:29 am

I did it !

Don't really know what I did, just followed the instructions to the letter and it all works and looks great !

A big thanks to all, I only went ahead with the purchase of my non-cruise 2006 3.0si after reading this topic on the forum.

All my recent cars have had cruise and until I saw how cheap & relatively easy it was to fit OEM cruise, I really didn't fancy buying a non-cruiser.

Thanks again to all who posted :thumbsup:

gmetcalf

Post by gmetcalf » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:17 pm

Thanks jamiecarpenter for a great guide. :thumbsup:

I picked up my stalk and wiring loom this morning and it was fitted before lunch :)

Fitted to 56 Plate 2.0l N46.

Points of note for others:
1) The blue cable that routes to the engine bay stays inside the box on the top right of the engine bay on the N46 engine. ( It looks like the other engines have a separate box in the engine bay for the DME. )
2) The DME ( Engine Management ) wiring is difficult ( when you dont know how ) to release. Pull the black "clip" on the short side of the DME and it will release a "holder". You want the one on the left, nearest the front of the car. Once the "holder" is released, you need two "terminal" screw drivers to release the 26 pin black connector. One in the space at the end of the connector, and one to move the small tab and the bottom of the connector. This lets the 26pin connector "slide" out of the "holder", then use the terminal driver to remove the "clip" on the holder so you can completely slide out the connector. NOTE: On the N46 engine Pin 4 already has a Blue / White cable, remove this ( and tape it up securely ) and insert the blue cable from the wiring loom as per the instructions ( using the conversion cable ).

:driving: Broom Broom

What to mod next ....... :)
2013 Z4 M Sport SDrive20i in Alpine White ( LCI ) with Pure Traction Interior
2006 Z4 Sport in Alpine White with Comfort Pack and Alpina Rims

audiman

Post by audiman » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:34 pm

Followed this tread today and works a treat. Only thing i dont have is an dashboard indicator showing me the cruise is set/on. Is this normal? Fitted to a 06 N52, as per these instructions.

Thanks

Tom

audiman

Post by audiman » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:40 pm

Just answered my own question, its normal, no dash light fitted :)

mark a

Post by mark a » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:42 pm

Thanks for the OP instructions, took me 2.5 hrs this morning to fit the system and get it working on my coupe.

One addition, At Step 4, slide out the 2 blocks from the main connector block, much easier to find the correct wires this way and to prevent any mistakes.

:thumbsup:

ASW28

Post by ASW28 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:07 pm

gmetcalf wrote:Thanks jamiecarpenter for a great guide. :thumbsup:

I picked up my stalk and wiring loom this morning and it was fitted before lunch :)

Fitted to 56 Plate 2.0l N46.

Points of note for others:
1) The blue cable that routes to the engine bay stays inside the box on the top right of the engine bay on the N46 engine. ( It looks like the other engines have a separate box in the engine bay for the DME. )
2) The DME ( Engine Management ) wiring is difficult ( when you dont know how ) to release. Pull the black "clip" on the short side of the DME and it will release a "holder". You want the one on the left, nearest the front of the car. Once the "holder" is released, you need two "terminal" screw drivers to release the 26 pin black connector. One in the space at the end of the connector, and one to move the small tab and the bottom of the connector. This lets the 26pin connector "slide" out of the "holder", then use the terminal driver to remove the "clip" on the holder so you can completely slide out the connector. NOTE: On the N46 engine Pin 4 already has a Blue / White cable, remove this ( and tape it up securely ) and insert the blue cable from the wiring loom as per the instructions ( using the conversion cable ).

:driving: Broom Broom

What to mod next ....... :)
Having just got the retrofit kit, thought I would check out all areas that may cause a problem with fitting, as the last thing I want is for the DME to go bang, due to poor wiring.
The main parts that I was unsure about were firstly the pin numbering system, for the pin locations on the X12 light switch connector, and the X60002 in the DME.
It was easy using a WDS disc to confirm how the pins are numbered.
My second concern was regarding the blue/white wire in pin 4 of X60002 in the DME. Again using the WDS disc, it seems that the Blue/White wire runs back to connector X6051, and then to X72 connector, on S28- the cruise control stalk.
It seems then, that disconnection, or even crimping into the blue/white wire will not cause any problems.
I hope this is the case, as I intend to install the Cruise within the next few days. :thumbsup:
Glider pilots do it quietly - ASW28 C6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ej4kE99x ... B5bE-sohlo

2.0 Sport, 2006, Sapphire Black.

retropc

Post by retropc » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:43 pm

just followed these instructions for 2007 57 plate 3.0si (N52), worked first time :)

cheers!

Muska

Post by Muska » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:21 pm

Just completed this retrofit to my 3.0Si 2006 (N52)in under 2 hours thanks to your guide. If I was relying on the BMW one then I'd have taken alot longer and never found the correct pin!

Dreamer

Post by Dreamer » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:24 pm

Someone do this to an M so we know it's possible!!!!
///M Interlagos. Champagne leather

dan425

Post 04 cruise control retrofit N52

Post by dan425 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:22 pm

Help! I seem to have 4 x E sockets and 0 x D plug connections. Is this normal?

The instructions say I should have 2 x of each!

Anyone else's kit come with a different number of bits than expected? I'm not sure how I'm supposed to connect G to D now. Connecting E to F shouldn't be a problem.
E85 Z4, 3.0i, 2005.

howdedo

Post by howdedo » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:36 pm

dan425 wrote:Help! I seem to have 4 x E sockets and 0 x D plug connections. Is this normal?

The instructions say I should have 2 x of each!

Anyone else's kit come with a different number of bits than expected? I'm not sure how I'm supposed to connect G to D now. Connecting E to F shouldn't be a problem.
Dan425 -
I had exactly the same thing happen to me.
I contacted the stealer and got them to send me the 2 missing D plugs, as you should indeed have two of each.

Good luck with the fitting.

howdedo

Post by howdedo » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:54 pm

Completed this retrofit to my 3.0Si 2007 (N52) in around 2 hours.
Just one thing different to Jamies excellent, excellent write-up is that i didn't use the repair cable supplied, as the one on the wiring harness fits just fine.