Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Automatic Headlights/Rain sensor wipers

How-To articles are in here. Please use sub-forum for requests
Carnage_Cannon

Automatic Headlights/Rain sensor wipers

Post by Carnage_Cannon » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:25 am

Simply put - I don't have them on my car and I want them! :( I'm guessing its a very complicated procedure retrofitting this sort of stuff? Has anyone done this before or is it normally done through a dealer?
Black Z4R 2006 2.5 Sport. Full Red Leather interior. MV2's. Stubby Aerial. ZHP knob and M-Wheel.

AlanJ
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Automatic Headlights/Rain sensor wipers

Post by AlanJ » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:55 am

Not sure it can be done simply - the rear view mirror housing holds the sensor so that will have to be changed etc etc. Lot of work and expense for not a lot I feel. Can't recall anyone retrofiiting this.
///M tri colour steering wheel, mud flaps and loads of other extras! ZHP illuminated gear lever..... Pre Purchase Checks,Getting the Best out of Dealers http://www.bmwz4roadster.net

Half Colin

Post by Half Colin » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:02 pm

I think you'll find that the rain sensor needs a special windscreen as well. I was told that the rain sensor operates by measuring the refraction through a special piece of glass at the top of the windscreen. Mine has the sensor and has a small black rectangle in the windscreen behind the rear view mirror.
Now E92 330D M Sport, Sapphire Black, AC Schnitzers and carbon badges soon
Sold E86 3.0si Sport, Sapphire Black, AC Schnitzers, carbon badges, ZHP, stubby and NO RUNFLATS!

Carnage_Cannon

Post by Carnage_Cannon » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:50 pm

Yeah I thought it would be a hassle. I'll just have to lump it I guess. Was hoping it might be easier than I imagined and could be a nice addition. Have just got my stubby zhp through today though so am looking forward to testing that out later. I'm sure that'll perk me up! Cheers guys
Black Z4R 2006 2.5 Sport. Full Red Leather interior. MV2's. Stubby Aerial. ZHP knob and M-Wheel.

a11y
Lifer
Lifer

Post by a11y » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:52 pm

Seriously I wouldn't bother. I've got them, hate them and would rather have a variable intermittent wipe that I could control, rather than the despite attempt to get it right. Too much of a control freak I guess lol
::::: e90 330i M Sport :::::