Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

How to feed an ipod cable from ashtray to boot?

How-To articles are in here. Please use sub-forum for requests
chrisj900

Re: How to feed an ipod cable from ashtray to boot?

Post by chrisj900 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:28 am

aquazi wrote:Wow thats a great install :thumbsup:

Now you have me thinking.... would it be possible to fit a dock in the coin thing under the center box? ... My 4S has such appalling battery life i would like to wire it to charge with my intravee, without opening the cubby hole!!
its totally possible, was concidering doing it myself but i prefere to see my iphone when driving, it would be canny hard to get the phone connected again while driving!! i havent came across one for sale but it would be very easy to make a dock from the original box. its as simple as using a quality extension cable (wouldnt want to damage the one that comes with the intravee) and some epoxy to secure it in place
z4 roadster 2.5i, hardtop, stubby, black grills, Dice silverline, carbon badges, custom illuminated wind deflector, custom iphone dock

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markeg » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:34 am

chrisj900 wrote:. its as simple as using a quality extension cable (wouldnt want to damage the one that comes with the intravee) and some epoxy to secure it in place
Has to be a 30 pin pass-through doc extension cable, such as the cablejive dockXtender - beware of cheap ebay extension cables, they sometimes don't have all the pins connected.
previous: Alpina Roadster S, #108: gone
current: MB C-class
"veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around..."

aquazi
Lifer
Lifer

Post by aquazi » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:39 am

chrisj900 wrote:
its totally possible, was concidering doing it myself but i prefere to see my iphone when driving, it would be canny hard to get the phone connected again while driving!! i havent came across one for sale but it would be very easy to make a dock from the original box. its as simple as using a quality extension cable (wouldnt want to damage the one that comes with the intravee) and some epoxy to secure it in place
Thanks.. i may have to give this a go in summer.... i put my coins in the ashtray, but use the rear slot for my cards... which could fit with the phone!
markeg wrote:. its as simple as using a quality extension cable (wouldnt want to damage the one that comes with the intravee) and some epoxy to secure it in place
Has to be a 30 pin pass-through doc extension cable, such as the cablejive dockXtender - beware of cheap ebay extension cables, they sometimes don't have all the pins connected.[/quote]

Don't i just know it.. fitted one a few years ago as i didnt like to plug it directly into my scoche adaptor - (used to charge the new usb powered apple devices from the intravee) and the bloody things wouldnt pass music through :headbang:

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:32 am

I have a Scoche adapter that plays my iPhone 4 music and charges the phone from the Intravee. Perhaps I am not reading your post right, but are you saying that yours does not work with the Intravee?
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markeg » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:04 pm

pvr wrote:I have a Scoche adapter that plays my iPhone 4 music and charges the phone from the Intravee. Perhaps I am not reading your post right, but are you saying that yours does not work with the Intravee?
If directed at me, then no, the iphone 4s does not work with the DICE system due to the change in security settings for accessing music etc. (I have a scosche adapter also) and it becomes an expensive charger -so I've removed the scosche and will just use an old ipod.

I was looking to upgrade the system to intravee II (with kca etc) later this year; my question was does the software update cause conflict with the intravee, which you've answered :D

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markeg » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:05 pm

btw - nice choice of dog, pvr :wink:

aquazi
Lifer
Lifer

Post by aquazi » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:24 pm

pvr wrote:I have a Scoche adapter that plays my iPhone 4 music and charges the phone from the Intravee. Perhaps I am not reading your post right, but are you saying that yours does not work with the Intravee?
I didnt use the "quotes properly there"!

The Scoche works fine on its own. However i got a cheapo ebay extension lead which i plugged into the scoche... which stopped the music working with my intravee :(

The problem i have with the scoche is that i use a case on my phone, which recesses the port on my phone, with a gap just the right size for the dock connector... and the scoche is wider then a standard ipod connector.

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:32 pm

Ah, I see. My phone case is an Apple leather one where I can fit the plug in no problem.
Current:
Abarth 595 Comp.
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4 3.0 Toledo

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:33 pm

markeg wrote:btw - nice choice of dog, pvr :wink:
Unfortunately, lost him at only 10 years old :(
Current:
Abarth 595 Comp.
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4 3.0 Toledo

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markeg » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:13 pm

pvr wrote:
markeg wrote:btw - nice choice of dog, pvr :wink:
Unfortunately, lost him at only 10 years old :(
Sorry to hear that - on my third lab, and first chocolate. Totally different from the black ones. Anyway, enough digression....

Logan

Post by Logan » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:17 pm

Quick update: I found my ipod has decided to play for a minute or so and then switch off when I used it. :( Most depressing. Thinking about this I decided it was most likely to do with the 255 limit on the software. There are several places where I have read that the Intravee can only take up to 255 folders or only 255 tracks per folder.
So back to itunes and delete all my music. Then look at the folder on my computer where wll my MP3s live - 265 folders. A quick look through and I was able to identify several collections where there were 4 or 5 folders - disc 1 of 5, 2 of 5 etc so I stripped these out and now only have 252 folders. Drag and dropped this back to itunes and half an hour later, resync ipod, back to car and lo and behold, it is working fine. Phew. :D
I would also recommend downloading the latest Intravee II operator instructions to work out the menu system and what buttons do which action. I managed to locate Intravee II Users Guide (Revision 6.02-5952, 26th January 2012) 150 pages which is much better than the previous version I had (Firmware V5.40, Revision 4.2, 4th January 2008) 46 pages. I have just had a quick look but I can't find it anymore - it must be somewhere out there on the interweb. PM me if you can't find it. :thumbsup:
Z4M COUPE

Stuart Truman
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Stuart Truman » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:22 pm

How do you arrange iTunes folders in the iPod? iPods use a proprietary database and afaik they have a fairly flat structure. I have nearly 10,000 tracks on my old iPod classic and have all manner of problems in my Ford where the iPod kit can't cope

Tapatalking...
Add yourself to the Z4 Map HERE! Instructions HERE!
Z4M Roadster, Imola Red, with Stubby and Intravee II. Low Miles per Gallon, High Smiles per Gallon
Previously Alpina Roadster S #69 Alpina Blue

Logan

Post by Logan » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:30 pm

I have one folder on my computer where I burn all my music to. Within here I have a folder for each artist. If there are several albums I generally have a folder for each album. This will have to change when I add more music - see post above re: 255 folder issue.
My arrangement consisted of dragging the MP3 folder from my windows explorer window and dropping it onto itunes music folder.
With 10,000 tracks you will have to be a bit imaginative with your folder structure. But in theory as 255 x 255 = 65025 you have a bit of room to play with.
Z4M COUPE

Stuart Truman
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Stuart Truman » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:55 pm

I have the same thing, but don't see how that effects the iPod itself which sorts it's own file structure. If I search by album, or artist, there are thousands and the Ford kit can't cope. Once you scroll down a certain amount, and select an artist, it lists the wrong albums, or if you select an album, it displays the wrong tracks. I just leave it on all tracks, shuffle

Tapatalking...
Add yourself to the Z4 Map HERE! Instructions HERE!
Z4M Roadster, Imola Red, with Stubby and Intravee II. Low Miles per Gallon, High Smiles per Gallon
Previously Alpina Roadster S #69 Alpina Blue

Logan

Post by Logan » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:04 am

Sorry, I can't help on this. Maybe cull out the tracks you don't listen to so often and the reduction in numbers may help.
Even with my 4951 tracks it takes a few minutes for the Intravee II to finish loading/reading through and updating the screen. This caused problems to start with untill I twigged. It was showing my previous selection for several minutes, even though I was 2 or 3 choices further on.
Z4M COUPE