Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Wrapping a 'compound' curve

How-To articles are in here. Please use sub-forum for requests
JaEdBa

Wrapping a 'compound' curve

Post by JaEdBa » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:24 pm

Hi All,

Decided to carbon wrap just the lower bar on my front bumper (it's an M bumper so roughly 1m long stretch...) I'm not too bothered about having a bash, as looking on e bay even the proper 3m wrap can be bought for about a tenner.

two things:

1) is it easy to remove if / when i make a balls up? and

2) is anyone aware of any reasonable online guides for achieving a decent finish on this surface? it curves (quite a lot) in both planes, i foresee creases.... :(

thanks very much...

JDM

Re: Wrapping a 'compound' curve

Post by JDM » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:28 pm

James.. My good friend (bunnyjoyrider) on here, who's M I was borrowing until I took delivery of my new one has wrapped his bottom rail in Matt black. He told me it took him about half an hour which included making a template, cutting to size and installing. It looks great.

So im pretty sure it will be pretty straight forward. Especially if you get the good quality 3M stuff. Iv'e heard horror stories from people using the cheap nasty alternatives.

Good luck with it. Can't wait to see pics of it finished :thumbsup:
04 3.0SE Roadster, 07 3.0Si Coupe, 12 2.0iSdrive M Sport... Gone but not forgotten

Now proud owner of an Audi TT TFSI S line, Misano Red Amplified black edition... Don't shoot me.

JaEdBa

Post by JaEdBa » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:39 pm

thanks John,

the only slight concern i have (apart from creases, altho i'm thinking a hairdryer will sort that out....) is the pattern running in line with the lines of the rail if you know what i mean..

like i said, i reckon £10 buys me enough wrap so if i'm not happy i won't be sweating too much - avoid the cheap stuff like the plague, at best you'll struggle to get it on right, at worst you'll struggle to get it on and then it'll fall off.

RichardG

Post by RichardG » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:40 pm

When I had my M bumper sprayed the plan was to have the bottom rail carbon wrapped. The guy doing the job tried 3 different wraps and could never get the weave to lie to his satisfaction.
I never saw it so can't comment on what it actually looked like, so it was left in Sterling Grey, it is now however being finished off in Satin Black, whilst he has the Zed for painting my aero skirts.
04 2.5 SE, Alpine iDA X-305, Eibach's, M Tri-Colour MFSW, CF Roundells, LeatherZ Armrest, De-Gingered, 19" VMR V710's, Aero Skirts, Fr & R M Bumpers, Quad Exhaust and NO Stubby

Oakandacorns

Post by Oakandacorns » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:49 pm

RichardG - sounds nice :) . Hope to see it when it's had the ickle makeover.
Oakandacorns
Former: 2.5 (04), Ellipsoid alloys, Heated seats, RFT, OEM Wind Deflector
Love it