Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Cup holders - removing blanking plate FITTED

How-To articles are in here. Please use sub-forum for requests
Z4Bob

Cup holders - removing blanking plate FITTED

Post by Z4Bob » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:49 am

Just bought some cup holders from Dean. I can find posts and a useful video on how to remove and install the holders, but nothing about removing the existing blanking plate. Is it just a matter of gently prising them out with a flat head screwdriver?
Last edited by Z4Bob on Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Sapphire 2.5 Drop Top, Auto, Cruise Control, Electric Memory and Heated Seats, 03 Reg 53k Winter Wheels and Tyres

Z4Bob

Re: Cup holders - removing blanking plate

Post by Z4Bob » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:52 am

Whoops posted this in the wrong area. My Z is an e85. Perhaps a kindly mod will move it for me. :oops:
Black Sapphire 2.5 Drop Top, Auto, Cruise Control, Electric Memory and Heated Seats, 03 Reg 53k Winter Wheels and Tyres

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:11 am

They do just prise out with a flat-bladed screwdriver.

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:57 am

I wouldn't use a screwdriver though unless you put something underneath to stop it marking. From memory you need to lever out from one of the short edges. The other short edge locates in the housing.

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:54 am

Take the whole unit out then you can see what you're doing from the back. IIRC you then don't need screw driver at all, just push the lug over and pop out. Ifyou don't sort it before I get home tonight I'll have a look at the set of vents I have sitting in my garage and take a pic... Assuming I remember.

Edit - thinking about it, you need to take the plate off to get to one of the screws... Doh ! :oops:

Will still take a pic though :D
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

Z4Bob

Post by Z4Bob » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:03 pm

Thanks for that. Yes, from the video it looked as though you need to remove the blank to get at one of the screws.

Any suggestions for a screwdriver alternative. Something plastic?

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:41 pm

Credit card ? Plastic ruler ? Or wrap the screwdriver in a bit of cloth perhaps.

Just got back from work a wee while ago, so not taken a photo yet and now bedward bound... Sorry :oops:
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

Dean

Post by Dean » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:22 am

They pop off quite easy, I used a screwdriver behind it but making sure I didn't use the dash as leverage if that makes sense, so I put the screwdriver behind it and pulled outward a making sure the screwdriver wasn't touching the dash...

Hope that makes sense mate, glad they got there ok

Z4Bob

Re: Cup holders - removing blanking plate FITTED

Post by Z4Bob » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:56 pm

Made the most of the good weather yesterday and fitted the cupholders yesterday before driving 200 miles to yorkshire. Only room 10 Minutes. Surprisingly good at holding bottles and cups. But with my long legs have to close the holder before ingress or egress.