Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

replacing headlight seals /rear covers

How-To articles are in here. Please use sub-forum for requests
badflaw

replacing headlight seals /rear covers

Post by badflaw » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:40 pm

[*]hello i have the condensation look on my headlights i have ordered men seals and recs covers at 25 squid . is there a guide onimy to replace them .. does the wing have to come off ?!

RJS-Z4

Re: replacing headlight seals /rear covers

Post by RJS-Z4 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:43 pm

Not the wing, just the front bumper. Then they just unbolt and unplug.
Titanium Silver E85 Mods Done - 224's, Stubby, Amarone //M seats, ZHP, Retrofitted Wind Deflector, Aux In

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:01 pm

You don't need to take the bumper off if you are talking about the rear covers for the headlights - you just need to get in to top access hatch in the wheel arch.

Turn the wheels so the wheel on the side you want to replace is facing out (not in - counterintuitive, but gives more space)
Use a 10p to turn the catches on the hatch and pull it out
You will see a piece of wire diagonally over the headlight back hooked at the top closest to you and the bottom on the other side
Pull the wire down, out of the clips it sits in, then pull the old back out
To fit the new one do the reverse. I find it easier to take the far end of the wire out of the hole it is slotted into and put it back in when the back is in place (wire just gets in the way otherwise). Also, you do need to wiggle and lever the back about a bit to force it into place.
Check the bonnet is securely fastened when you are done - the cable to release the side catch is close to the headlight and the procedure can put enough pressure on it to pop one side one.

Hope that helps - sorry I don't have any pics, but it is pretty straightforward.
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

RJS-Z4

Post by RJS-Z4 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:38 am

Sorry Bing, I assumed the original poster would want to remove his and dry them out. :oops:
Titanium Silver E85 Mods Done - 224's, Stubby, Amarone //M seats, ZHP, Retrofitted Wind Deflector, Aux In

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:38 am

RJS-Z4 wrote:Sorry Bing, I assumed the original poster would want to remove his and dry them out. :oops:
For that you just need 20mins and a hair dryer. Takes me 25mins as I have to get mine from in the house rather than the boot :D
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

badflaw

Post by badflaw » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:54 pm

i do not have enough hair for a dryer... i've ordered some silica gel packs

badflaw

Post by badflaw » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:16 pm

i do not have enough hair for a dryer... i've ordered some silica gel packs

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:50 pm

badflaw wrote:i do not have enough hair for a dryer... i've ordered some silica gel packs
Me either - I use the wife's, much to her disgust :D

badflaw

Post by badflaw » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:07 pm

so.........

put the new seals on. left silica gels in for a day or so

all sorted and it hasnt come back.

its a bit fiddly but not too bad... access the lights from the flap on inner wing by the wheel

RJS-Z4

Post by RJS-Z4 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:36 pm

Nice job :)

vanilla

Post by vanilla » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:54 pm

hmm..I need to do this - also my bonnet release cable is stuck, Bing, you said the latch is close to the headlight?
2.0 SE Z4 Roadster Sapphire Black, Red Leather.
MM gear knob.
R. I. P :(

jamiez

Post by jamiez » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:53 pm

vanilla wrote:hmm..I need to do this - also my bonnet release cable is stuck, Bing, you said the latch is close to the headlight?
Yes they are in there there some where to the inside edge of each light. I found it by mistake when doing this job on my passenger light and if popped the bonnet. But it just does one catch. I assume the other catch is a separate wire perhaps even only accessible from the other light - that bit needs to be confirmed
Z4MC | Midnight Blue | OEM CSL's + MPSS | Extended Light Sepang Leather | Folding Mirrors | Stubby| BT | Prof Nav | DSP HiFi | Intravee | Privacy | Illuminated ZHP…

vanilla

Post by vanilla » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:02 am

jamiez wrote:
vanilla wrote:hmm..I need to do this - also my bonnet release cable is stuck, Bing, you said the latch is close to the headlight?
Yes they are in there there some where to the inside edge of each light. I found it by mistake when doing this job on my passenger light and if popped the bonnet. But it just does one catch. I assume the other catch is a separate wire perhaps even only accessible from the other light - that bit needs to be confirmed
Thanks, could you describe what it looks like a bit more please? so if i 'fiddle' with it, it might free the bonnet again?
2.0 SE Z4 Roadster Sapphire Black, Red Leather.
MM gear knob.
R. I. P :(