Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

HID lights

How-To articles are in here. Please use sub-forum for requests
benben

Re: HID lights

Post by benben » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:44 am

I have all of the above but i still dont quite understand where to spades connect to. I think i will take a few pictures, that should help.
Or else i could pay the mechanics 30-40 dollars to do it but i prefer to learn how to do it for future.
03 2.5i E85

Sim_Simma

Post by Sim_Simma » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:04 am

benben wrote:I have all of the above but i still dont quite understand where to spades connect to. I think i will take a few pictures, that should help.
Or else i could pay the mechanics 30-40 dollars to do it but i prefer to learn how to do it for future.
If you put a normal bulb in your headlight. You then put a plug on the bulb didn't you? The spades from the ballast plugh into that.Just think the ballast is just taking power from the cars power supply to the origional bulb.

benben

Post by benben » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:50 am

Sim_Simma wrote:
benben wrote:I have all of the above but i still dont quite understand where to spades connect to. I think i will take a few pictures, that should help.
If you put a normal bulb in your headlight. You then put a plug on the bulb didn't you? The spades from the ballast plugh into that.Just think the ballast is just taking power from the cars power supply to the origional bulb.
one side of the balast connects to the HID bulb, the other side im assuming must connect to the car power supply thing. This is the thing i need to find. The issue is all the cables connected to the headlight, parklight etc all go to the same place, is this where the ballast should be connected to?
03 2.5i E85

Wildfire

Post by Wildfire » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:23 am

No, the spades from the ballast go into the original connector that plugs directly into the H7 bulb.

Remove the H7 bulb, replace it with the HID burner. Take the female connector that you used to plug into the back of the bulb and plug the spades directly into this.

If you look at the back of the H7 bulb, there are two prongs that stick out, these are about the same size as spades. The spades replace these in the connector.

I think the connector is black and has a black and brown wire coming out of it.

It seems that BMW use black as + and brown as -??? So if it doesn't fire up reverse the polarity.
Last edited by Wildfire on Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2007 3.0si Coupe, LED interior lights, Stubby, ZHP, AC Schnitzers, 15mm spacers on the rear. 1993 Modified Pre-Cat TVR Griffith, Ducati Monster 821, MV Agusta F3 675

Wildfire

Post by Wildfire » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:25 am

I will be putting in my HID kit this weekend (along with replacing the headlight washer jet) so will have the bumpers off. If you can wait I'll try and take a pic for you?
2007 3.0si Coupe, LED interior lights, Stubby, ZHP, AC Schnitzers, 15mm spacers on the rear. 1993 Modified Pre-Cat TVR Griffith, Ducati Monster 821, MV Agusta F3 675

Sim_Simma

Post by Sim_Simma » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:46 pm

You plug them I to this Image