Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

roof pump location.

How-To articles are in here. Please use sub-forum for requests
wirrklunk

roof pump location.

Post by wirrklunk » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:27 am

Just ordered a replacement motor and pump. A question came to mind, has anyone fitted this unit in a different spot, or does the waterproofing of the sound insulation prevent the corrosion problems from recurring.

Too Old
Too Poor
Too Stupid

wegras

Re: roof pump location.

Post by wegras » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:08 pm

[quote="wirrklunk"]Just ordered a replacement motor and pump. A question came to mind, has anyone fitted this unit in a different spot, or does the waterproofing of the sound insulation prevent the corrosion problems from recurring.

Mine replaced today by dealer 07 facelift The new plastic casing is identical to the original fitted in manufacturing ,so don't hold your breath
2007 Z4 3.0 si Sport Auto Monaco Blue Roadster / 2013 X1 2.5d Auto M Sport White
1st BMW a 2002 when they were current ..! and wife has a 2014 Mini Cooper auto
All BMW family

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:07 pm

It is possible to relocate in the boot. Some guy in Belgium offers a fitting service. Not sure what is involved.

SteveG

Post by SteveG » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:24 pm

There is a thread on the forum in the 'How to' section somewhere with a link to replacing the hood motor. I'm sure you'll find it by the search facility.

On the pdf it shows using silicone sealant around the plastic cover which should help prevent future problems. I make a point of clearing the roof drains on a regular basis in the vain hope that it will prevent problems long term. It's a PITA and a significant design fault.
Steve
2004 3.0 SE
'Old mans last chance'

wirrklunk

Post by wirrklunk » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:12 am

Thanks for the replies.
I will look at fitting this unit in the boot. Was quoted more for a used pump from a wrecker in Sidney than the new one on order.