Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

108 Broken stud removal

How-To articles are in here. Please use sub-forum for requests
sk93
Lifer
Lifer

108 Broken stud removal

Post by sk93 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:05 pm

Thinking about having a go at refurbing one of the three sets of 108's I currently own :?

However, I know for a fact one set has at least two broken studs (the bolts that hold the stars to the rim), and knowing my luck, I'm bound to break at least another 12...

so.. how does one go about removing the broken part of the stud?
I'm pretty sure there's naff all sticking out to grab hold of and twist.

Drill it out? easiout? something else?

Did a search, found people pm'ing each other the recommended way of removing them, but not sharing that knowledge publically.

someone care to share?
:zzzz:

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Re: 108 Broken stud removal

Post by PerryGunn » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:33 pm

sk93 wrote:Thinking about having a go at refurbing one of the three sets of 108's I currently own :?

However, I know for a fact one set has at least two broken studs (the bolts that hold the stars to the rim), and knowing my luck, I'm bound to break at least another 12...

so.. how does one go about removing the broken part of the stud?
I'm pretty sure there's naff all sticking out to grab hold of and twist.

Drill it out? easiout? something else?

Did a search, found people pm'ing each other the recommended way of removing them, but not sharing that knowledge publically.

someone care to share?
Drilling Titanium isn't easy - IIRC because titanium work-hardens you need to drill at very low speed and high pressure using something like a carbide/cobalt bit with lots of cutting fluid. Given that it's a small diameter bolt, I wouldn't like to try it freehand, do you have access to a drill press?

I'd try an easyout or other extraction tool first - but what do I know, I put my wheels on back to front :wink:
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:11 pm

I found the easiest way to remove a stud once the centre star part is off is to grind 2 flat surfaces onto the protruding stud with a small angle grinder :o then take a very small spanner that fits & turn it out :?
Actually drilling a head off in order to remove the star can be done quite easily with the correct size drill bit ( a fraction bigger than the actual thread of the bolt )
My best advice from the off is to strike each bolt hard 2/3 times with a lump hammer & a long spline ( wear ear defenders) , also with the wheel flat down remove the bolts in a star like fashion so opposie side of wheel each time .
Lastly if you feel one won't move just leave it , come back to it at the end & majority of times it will loosen ,even if you leave for a day or so then keep trying
:thumbsup:

oh & DON't use a torgue wrench :cry: best to get a feel for what will & won't move :wink:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:20 pm

mr wilks wrote: oh & DON't use a torgue wrench :cry: best to get a feel for what will & won't move :wink:
:o

You shouldn't use a torque wrench to undo bolts.

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:42 pm

srhutch wrote:
mr wilks wrote: oh & DON't use a torgue wrench :cry: best to get a feel for what will & won't move :wink:
:o

You shouldn't use a torque wrench to undo bolts.
Haha , i don't even have one , i just read many people asking for torque settings to tighten them & wouldn't want someone to try removing them with same setting as they are likely to round off a good few :oops:
Even tightening i wouldn't advise following the numbers as they were set for new rims/new bolts which clearly a used set of 108s are not & especially so if the rims have had a blast,powdercoat oven bake :?
You should get a feel once they are tight then leave alone for a day or 2 , then go back & check them all as you can often get a little turn extra that way :thumbsup:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markplant » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:53 pm

Some torque Wrench's only turn one way
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:44 am

markplant wrote:Some torque Wrench's only turn one way
this lady's not for turning!

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Machine monkey » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:21 pm

Just seen this... You bring them to me my friend. And this will be another job I can do for you.

Drilling Ti is OK if you have the correct tools and cutting fluids. And a bit of knowledge to get the correct cutting speed. A pilla or bench drill will help. Guess what i have all of the above....
My little blue zed is in lots of bits. With lots of things started and not many finished! I may have found the limits of my time and ability!!

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:24 pm

Machine monkey wrote:Just seen this... You bring them to me my friend. And this will be another job I can do for you.

Drilling Ti is OK if you have the correct tools and cutting fluids. And a bit of knowledge to get the correct cutting speed. A pilla or bench drill will help. Guess what i have all of the above....
I'll bring em down with me then sir! (and some more beer tokens)
yay for monkeys! :thumbsup:

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Machine monkey » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:53 pm

No need for beer tokens we can just swap skills and trades. I want your old tablet install....
My little blue zed is in lots of bits. With lots of things started and not many finished! I may have found the limits of my time and ability!!