Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

2.0 Exhaust manifold removal

How-To articles are in here. Please use sub-forum for requests
Cooky675

Post by Cooky675 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:37 pm

Hi All,
New to the forum and after some advice please...
I have a 2007 2.0 and have the seemingly common fault of a blowing exhaust manifold. I have a mate who is a dab hand at welding exhausts so thought I'd whip it off and let him do his thing.
Problem is I have all the fasteners and connectors removed but am struggling to get it out of the car! Anyone had any experience? Please tell me I don't need to remove the steering column!!! Does removing the mid section of exhaust give enough room?
Any help much appreciated!
Cheers,
Matt

CRB22

Post by CRB22 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:17 am

Hi,

Did you manage to remove the manifold in the end ?

I'm in the same position and grateful for your update

Thanks

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:39 am

BMW TIS manuals are your friend with stuff like this, you can buy the disc for a few quid on line or is available on the web via google.

Necessary preliminary tasks:
•Remove engine splash guard.
•Remove reinforcement plate.
•Remove exhaust system.
•N42 only:Identify plug housings of control sensors for
cylinders 1 and 4 and 2 and 3. Unclip plug housings from retaining fixture.Disconnect plug connections of oxygen sensors.Release nuts, remove exhaust manifold from cylinder head
Re-installation: Clean sealing faces. Replace seal.Install seal so that lug (1) points to exhaust manifold.Coat stud threads with copper paste.Replace nuts.Tightening torques per TIS.
Assemble engine.Check function of DME. Important!Ensure sensor cables are exactly routed

Unfortunately I cant get the TIS page to load here as a link but the address is, hopefully it helps :thumbsup:
http://workshop-manuals.com/bmw/z_series_e85/z4_2.0i_n46_roadst/2_repair_instructions/11__engine_(n46)/62__exhaust_manifold/1_ra__removing_and_installing_sealing_replacing_exhaust_manifold_(n40_n42_n45_n46)/
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

CRB22

Post by CRB22 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:47 am

Ewazix,

Thanks for your reply.
I have already looked at the TIS for the N46 engine and have done all they suggest.

I cant seem to get the manifold past the steering column shaft. It seems that either that needs remving or engine lifted !

I'll have another go

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:36 pm

Just a thought :scratchhead:

The TIS available online appear to have 'US' tags, I'm wondering if the instructions are LHD only where the steering shaft obviously wouldn't be an issue. I've got a full TIS disc somewhere but can't get to it for a bit, it may be someone can check the RHD instructions for you, I'm thinking that the steering shaft may well have to come out on a RHD car.
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

CRB22

Post by CRB22 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:56 pm

Ewazix,

I think you are right, the repair guide seems to be for the US. there is no mention of the steering shaft.

If anyone has the UK TIS and can let me know I would very much appreciate it.

Of course when I manage to remove it I will update everyone.

Ronnie3232

Post by Ronnie3232 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:12 pm

I removed both bolts on rack and slid rack to one side to move shaft but no good. Had to remove small steering shaft with universal joints and hey presto. Just make sure you don’t move steering wheel and put shaft on in the same position or there will be tears, :headbang:

CRB22

Post by CRB22 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:14 pm

Thanks Ronnie3232,

I removed the streering shaft in the end and it slipped staright out.

All done now.....

Many thanks