Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Torque setting for re-attaching rear shock?

How-To articles are in here. Please use sub-forum for requests
RickZ4

Post by RickZ4 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:31 pm

Can anyone advise me what torque setting I should use when re-attaching my rear shock after replacing the broken coil spring..?

Thanks
07 2.5i Sport Auto

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:47 pm

100Nm.

But you have to tension it at normal driving position.
torque it down with the wheels down / in full droop will damage the shock rubber bushing.
So the wheels have to be sitting on the ground or the rear suspension trailing arm has to be jacked up.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

RickZ4

Post by RickZ4 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:28 pm

GuidoK wrote:100Nm.

But you have to tension it at normal driving position.
torque it down with the wheels down / in full droop will damage the shock rubber bushing.
So the wheels have to be sitting on the ground or the rear suspension trailing arm has to be jacked up.
07 2.5i Sport Auto

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:19 pm

On a 4 post ramp it's easy yes. (if you have a pit its also easy)
With 2 post ramp you need a transmission jack to jack up the rear trailing arm to get it somewhere in the driving position.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch