Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Driving trip through europe

Planned road trips and road-trip reports go in here
T2FFN

Driving trip through europe

Post by T2FFN » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:23 pm

I'm planning on driving to switzerland in a couple weeks for a work meeting in northern switzerland. I haven't planned the route yet, but will be leaving two days to get there, and 3 or 4 to get back, so should be able to take some nice routes and see some sights.

I'd like to do some of the 'best driving roads' type stuff through some mountain roads.

Anyone have any first hand experiences they'd like to share, must see places, must avoids etc.

As its getting to the late end of the year, I will not be entering Germany as I dont have winter tyres and I think they are now mandatory, and possibly in switzerland too, which might be a problem. Surely if its not icy, winter tyres aren't reqired.
3.0i

micz4

Re: Driving trip through europe

Post by micz4 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:25 pm

Can't help with the legislation but i am very jealous.
2010 2.3i ,Sapphire Black,Kansas Red Leather,2 years of joy,replaced by Porsche Boxster 2.7

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:25 pm

All mountain roads in Switzerland will be icy-ish anyway. Don't think I would really fancy it right now in the Z and certainly not in a few weeks.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

T2FFN

Post by T2FFN » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:31 pm

I'm not straying too far into Switzerland, literally on the french border. Temps in france are still pretty good, so not expecting it to be too cold.

I'm planning on going through Belgium, seeing some WW2 memorial sites etc, northern france, Swiss border... then open to anywhere. Its around 10*C at night right now, so unless high up in the alps (Lowered Z4 doesn't seem the best tool to take high up in the alps lol) I think driving conditions should be fine.
3.0i

T2FFN

Post by T2FFN » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:32 pm

Watching Band of Brothers in preparation (for WW2 sites, not invading europe :rofl: )
3.0i

Leesfarm07

Post by Leesfarm07 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:33 pm

Ranski's the man to ask. He travelled in September and drove some glorious roads
Current
2012 Mercedes SLK 250 AMG Sport auto in black
Westfield SE 1800 Zetec on twin 45's Aldon-Tuned pocket rocket in orange
Gone but not forgotten my lovely Zed 2.5

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:33 pm

The most spectacular / impressive ones are really in the south of NL, like Margraten.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Stu00

Post by Stu00 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:37 pm

Well your in for a treat. Some of the greatest roads out there. Roads around Munster which is in the mountains by Mulhouse/Basel are fantastic and great time of year to go as empty and no snow! Also can double back into the black forest (other side of the Valley), French roads are better tho

If you going via Belgium try some of the roads around Ardennes.

In terms of tyres, if you can get some winter's on there your best too. But TBH I ran the Elise on normal tyres all year round in Luxembourg, and as long as it was not snow I just took it easy but never went far and was pretty much non winter time.

If you want more advise on Accommodation, exact routes etc let me know

T2FFN

Post by T2FFN » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:47 pm

Thanks Stu00, I'm making a shopping list of 'to see' places and will draw up a route from that, but I'm not currently planning on being anywhere by a specific date/time, just a little adventure really, see where the road takes us.

Been on eBay getting a load of bits for the trip; 2nd first aid box for storage, high-vis vests etc.

Spot on with Basel, that's where my meeting is. I dont plan on spedning too much time in Swiss territory apart form those two days, so will duck back out onto the french roads, looking for scenic alpine lakes to chill out by 8)
3.0i

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:20 pm

For Germany, the tyre advice is as follows, and covers 'winter conditions' means those months where the average temp is below 7ºc.
While the law does not mandate calendar dates during which snow tyres are required, German drivers often use the helpful rule of thumb “von O bis O” – “from O to O,” meaning snow tires should be put on in October and remain on until Ostern (Easter).

This regulation applies to all motorised vehicles using roads in Germany, including those registered abroad, so vehicles registered in the United Kingdom are affected. It is prohibited to use summer tyres in Germany during winter weather conditions - summer tyres are predominantly fitted to vehicles in the United Kingdom.

Winter weather conditions include black ice, snow, ice, slush and hoarfrost. Please bear in mind that these conditions may also be present even if the temperature is above 0 degrees.

German law specifies that the tyres must be winter tyres or all season tyres designed for use in wintry conditions. Suitable tyres will normally be marked 'M+S', however these can also be marked with a snow flake or snowy mountains symbol.

Motorists, whose car is equipped with summer tyres may not take the car on the road in winter weather conditions. Motorists in violation face fines of €40. If they actually obstruct traffic, the fine is €80. You may also be prevented from continuing.

All motorists have the obligation to adapt their vehicles to winter weather conditions. This includes but is not limited to winter tyres. Extreme weather may additionally require snow chains.

Spiked tyres are prohibited.
Also, don't forget your vignette for Switzerland and 'plakette' for the low-emission cities/towns of Germany.
Last edited by mmm-five on Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

Stark
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Stark » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:22 pm

You can do it in a day....doesn't take long...about 500 ish miles....

Stark
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Stark » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:23 pm

Pure meant to have the breathalyser in France now too....

T2FFN

Post by T2FFN » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:24 pm

Stark wrote:You can do it in a day....doesn't take long...about 500 ish miles....
About 700 from my house, but its not a race, its also a holiday :driving:
3.0i

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:25 pm

Stark wrote:Pure meant to have the breathalyser in France now too....
Two in fact.

One to show you've tested yourself to ensure you're below the limit to drive (after you've had a drink of course), and another so the policeman can take a breathe test at the roadside. Don't know what you're supposed to do after you've used both of them in the first half hour or so though :headbang:
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

T2FFN

Post by T2FFN » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:25 pm

Stark wrote:Pure meant to have the breathalyser in France now too....
Already got 2 disposable ones :thumbsup:
3.0i