Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Any epic driving roads near Edinburgh? HELP!

Planned road trips and road-trip reports go in here
Adamski
Lifer
Lifer

Any epic driving roads near Edinburgh? HELP!

Post by Adamski » Fri May 02, 2014 10:36 pm

So, having moved to Edinburgh a couple of years ago now, I am still struggling to find quality driving roads within a 25 mile radius of where I stay.

When I lived up near Dundee and Forfar, there was an abundance of quality roads right on my doorstep. And when I say quality, I really do mean fantastic roads. Some of them have been used time and time again on forum runs. Some examples of the roads near Dundee/Forfar

Cairn O'Mount road:

A93 Braemar road

Glen Prosen

The list goes on and on.

I found a few decent roads tonight whilst out hooning :D near Gifford. Very twisty, and undulating, the perfect roads for a blast, but 25 miles away from where I live. Surely there are some better roads closer to Edinburgh? :headbang:

There's a list on Pistonheads covering some suggestions near Edinburgh, but it's usual A70 (which is pretty straight, with few corners), A702, A701 blah blah, but none really floats my boat.

So with that in mind - Question.......

Do you have any favourite driving roads around Edinburgh? If so, where? :thumbsup:

I'd be really grateful for any suggestions, as I'm taking the beast out (no jokes about the missus please :P) tomorrow, and most likely Sunday too 8)
Gone: Z4M Coupé|Black Sapphire|OEM CSLs|Aero Skirts|OEM Strut Brace|Nav|Heated Seats|Logic 7 Pro Hi-fi|Bluetooth|Carbon Leather|PDC|BMW Assist|Stubby
Gone: Cherished 2003 3.0i Black Sapphire Roadster

jaRED

Re: Any epic driving roads near Edinburgh? HELP!

Post by jaRED » Fri May 02, 2014 10:53 pm

Don't know but me and Guiseley fancy a trip up soon - we were hoping for this weekend but I have to work. So if you find any good routes we are up for a hoon
Redzed coupe gone but not forgotten :? , Lotus Evora providing the smiles now :driving:

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Fri May 02, 2014 10:55 pm

I have to do a Scotland meet one day.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Fri May 02, 2014 10:58 pm

Adam I was based up in Rosyth for two years, back in my Navy days. My favourite route was from Dunfirmline up to Crief, past Knockhill and Glen Eagles. There are plenty of great driving roads once your North of the Bridge.
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Du ... 1&t=m&z=10

How's the new bridge comming along?

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Fri May 02, 2014 11:00 pm

There's two roads that go from Dunns towards Edinburgh, join up and then end up at Gifford - they don't appear to have road numbers on Google maps, but you'll spot them as they are not main roads. Can't remember which one we took last summer - ask Jack or Craig - but pretty much the entire route from Dunns back to where we started in the morning was awesome. I can only assume it's just as good in the other direction :driving:
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Fri May 02, 2014 11:02 pm

buzyg wrote:Adam I was based up in Rosyth for two years, back in my Navy days. My favourite route was from Dunfirmline up to Crief, past Knockhill and Glen Eagles. There are plenty of great driving roads once your North of the Bridge.
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Du ... 1&t=m&z=10

How's the new bridge comming along?
My Dad was based at Rosyth on and off... And I went to school in Crieff :D

Great road, depends if you're after going north or South though.
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

ZermattV
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ZermattV » Fri May 02, 2014 11:06 pm

The road you mean Bing is the B6355 past Whiteadder Reservoir
Awaiting an Alpine A110
2016 M-Sport Fiesta ST

- Previously - 997 Targa - Z4M 2006 - Z4 3.0 Roadster - MX-5 1.8 Phoenix

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Fri May 02, 2014 11:09 pm

ZermattV wrote:The road you mean Bing is the B6355 past Whiteadder Reservoir
Thought it was the one past the reservoir — loved it :driving:

Summer is coming, need my fix :D

ZermattV
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ZermattV » Fri May 02, 2014 11:16 pm

Yep a real lucky found - was looking for a road out of Duns when choosing the route and that one came out of google maps - I knew runs down to Duns to the Jim Clark museum were popular - know I know why a museum to a great Scottish driving legend and a fantastic road !

Adam ? Have you gone soft since you got this coupe does it matter if the road is 25 miles away from the capital or 250 miles from it so long as it's great :evil:
Awaiting an Alpine A110
2016 M-Sport Fiesta ST

- Previously - 997 Targa - Z4M 2006 - Z4 3.0 Roadster - MX-5 1.8 Phoenix

Adamski
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Adamski » Fri May 02, 2014 11:23 pm

Bing wrote:There's two roads that go from Dunns towards Edinburgh, join up and then end up at Gifford - they don't appear to have road numbers on Google maps, but you'll spot them as they are not main roads. Can't remember which one we took last summer - ask Jack or Craig - but pretty much the entire route from Dunns back to where we started in the morning was awesome. I can only assume it's just as good in the other direction :driving:
ZermattV wrote:The road you mean Bing is the B6355 past Whiteadder Reservoir
Yep, I drove that very road this evening :thumbsup: :thumbsup: - albeit not fully down to Duns. Maybe I'll go further south tomorrow....
ZermattV wrote:Adam ? Have you gone soft since you got this coupe does it matter if the road is 25 miles away from the capital or 250 miles from it so long as it's great :evil:
It's all about good use of time 8) Would rather not have to waste 25 miles of driving time to get to the good stuff :poke: :D
Gone: Z4M Coupé|Black Sapphire|OEM CSLs|Aero Skirts|OEM Strut Brace|Nav|Heated Seats|Logic 7 Pro Hi-fi|Bluetooth|Carbon Leather|PDC|BMW Assist|Stubby

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Fri May 02, 2014 11:48 pm

Fair point. I don't know the area but is there nowhere you can carve off the 701 or 702 onto interesting roads ? I fear you may be discovering a disadvantage of living in the smoke that is difficult to fix...

Adamski
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Adamski » Sat May 03, 2014 12:00 am

Yeah the distance doesn't bother me, but the time investment does. Even when I lived in Dundee, the road up to my parents house was epic, the Kellas and Wellbank B road (featured on the Tayside forum run). That was a 32 mile round trip of awesomeness :D

I suppose it just means I have to be more organised about proper drives, and less spontaneous. These days I want to maximise every minute in the car

Shenanigans

Post by Shenanigans » Sat May 03, 2014 1:24 am

Stathhaven to Moffat then over to the east coast Excellent roads

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
2007, 3.0si , Montego Blue, Bi-Colour/Silverstone Leather, Cruise Control, Xenon Headlights, Heated Seats, K&N Panel filter, Wind Deflector, Stubby, 108 Alloys

Sae

Post by Sae » Sat May 03, 2014 11:55 am

If you are heading down to borders direction, then you should do the road that runs past St.Marys loch, really nice scenery, epic driving :driving:
Z4MCoupe Sapphire Black