Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

SkyeFall Run 2014 - 30th & 31st August - Updated 29/07/14

Planned road trips and road-trip reports go in here
Bing
Legend
Legend

SkyeFall Run 2014 - 30th & 31st August - Updated 29/07/14

Post by Bing » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:30 pm

Assisted ferry and camping bookings are no longer available - though if you have compulsion to come along you'll be very welcome, you'll just have to book up yourselves. There's plenty of space on the ferry as of 29/07/14 (1520 sailing from Mallaig to Armadale on 30/08), and Martin at the Uig campsite will fit you in

It would appear that it has fallen to me to arrange this - a Scot who's lived in England for almost 19 years, is currently located in Kent, and who last experienced the West Coast of Scotland at the age of about 6 in my grandparents' caravan. Somewhere there exists a rather fetching picture of me in some brown terry towelling trunks in Mallaig, but I don't seem to be able to find it right now...

I can't go a year without a run to God's Country, and having traded PMs & spoken with JaxZ4 at length I'm now convinced that a trip to Skye is do-able in two days without excessive wearying driving - whilst still taking in awesome roads, jaw-dropping scenery, and stopping here and there for a p*ss. Or a photo. Or both if you feel adventurous :P

The route needs tweaked with some final changes, and I'll publish it by PM when we have a reasonable number of people interested. However, a quick overview looks like this :

Saturday 30th - start at Stirling M9 Services @ about 0800, west through the Trossachs, up by some of Loch Lomond, to Inverary & turn right for awesome roads, then Glencoe, The Road To The Isles, Mallaig for lunch, Skye by ferry, on to Dunvegan, then Uig Bay Campsite by about 1800 & overnight, where there is also a small B&B.

Sunday 31st - north Skye loop (tbc at the time), down and over the Bridge, across past Lochs Cluanie, Loyne, Garry & Lochy, Spean Bridge, Glencoe the other direction, The Green Welly for lunch (might be a late lunch...), through Callander, ending where we started at 1700/1730 or so.

The detailed plan has the stops listed, as well as timings. However it's all on PMs, bits of A4 and sticky notes right now so you'll need to wait until I get a mo to pull it all together.

Costs -

Fuel - obviously...
Ferry - Adult £4.65, Child £2.35, Car £23.90
Campsite - £6 pp/per night or £30 pp per night for the B&B
Food & provisions - whilst travelling, and if we have a BBQ rather than a pub dinner in the evening
Also, any hotels you need the night before leaving - I *think* there's a Premier Inn or similar at the services, but still need to check.

Logistics (read 'help required' :D )

- The ferry and the campsite (whichever it is) will need booked, as will lunch at The Green Welly on the way back I suspect, so there will need to be a time limit on accepting attendees - at least there will be a drop dead date by which I can arrange things as I am off on holiday for almost three weeks at the beginning of August. You can of course book your own ferry & campsite place after this time, and I will provide ferry times. the deadline for me booking anything is likely to be 1st / 2nd August.

- I'll need some help when the route is finalised as I have no clue how to convert a google maps route to TOMTOM or any other nav type - in fact I don't have one of these new fangled rolling screens, so...

- I will also need some help with leading / sweeping on the route(s)... Though the roads are not that complicated, which makes it simpler than down here.

- Suggestions for how we organise food on the Saturday night would be welcome... Also, we could stop in Dunvegan instead of Uig as it's less driving and there's more there, but it'll add to Sunday's drive as we should see some of Skye rather than just camp there and leave...

I've arranged a run before but not a road trip, so this is new territory for me - please be patient and I'll update this first post as things firm up. For now though, please indicate your interest (which will need to be commitment in a couple of weeks :wink: ) by the usual means - copy the list into a post and add your name, along with an indication if you will be +1. To kick it off...

Updated 28/08/14

1. Bing & Wee Bing - camping
2. Paul and Steph - B&B
3. Nick and Lorraine - B&B
4. metal licker + SWMBO - B&B
5. AndrewP - camping
6. PerryGunn & Cindy - 5* hotel
7. Tony & Ruth Guisely - camping
8. Oli T & Vicky - camping
9. Craig3.2 - camping (tbc, but likely)
10. sk93 - camping

We have 9 cars and 16 people confirmed and booked on the ferry, expecting Pimpernel Craig to pop up too - game very much on :trampoline:

Couple of updates -

ferry and campsite now booked for the above, and assisted booking is no longer available...

If you want to add yourself to the list and come along then of course you're more than welcome - the booked ferry is the 1520 sailing from Mallaig - and the details of where we're staying are above / in the thread.

Route has been PM'd :thumbsup:
Last edited by Bing on Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:37 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

paulgs1000
Lifer
Lifer

Re: SkyeFall Run 2014 - 30th & 31st August

Post by paulgs1000 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:41 pm

Terrific Bing :thumbsup:
With it being the two days we can make this - we'll travel up to Stirling the night before - really look forward to it.
We'll lend a hand with anything - just let us know how we can help and we'll pitch in.

1. Bing & Wee Bing
2. Paul and Steph (we'd like to stay at the B&B please)
Now Porsche flat 6 experience, 986S & 981S.
2006 Z4MR Imola Red/Imola Red, 2008 3.0si Sport Stratus Grey/Piano black, 2006 2.0I Sport Silver Grey Facelift. MX5, TVR Chimaera, many motorbikes.

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:56 pm

I have a week off planned from that Friday so a few question's mr B if that's ok ?
:
Is the trip planned for Z only ?

What's intended route mileage from start to finish point ? or what drive time or miles per day ?

Is the route "Policed" ?

Would we need sporans to get into Scotland ? :D
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:09 pm

mr wilks, in order...

Not at all, in the spirit of forum togetherness I think an Alfa would be very welcome. Will you be bringing your own tow truck ?

End to end the route is about 450 miles without the North Skye loop, which IIRC is another 50 odd miles - roughly split 50/50 across the two days, so call it 250 miles each day. Once I have tweaked it (hopefully tomorrow) I'll be more precise.

South of Glencoe through Crianlarich is favoured by speed camera vans I believe, though by that time we'll probably be relaxing into the last stretch anyway. I'd imagine the majority of the rest of the route, except that round Loch Lomond, is not heavily policed at all. But I'll defer to my Scottish brethren to give better advice.

Yes you do. You'll also be required to leave your underwear at the border and wear a tartan hat with a red beard attached.
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:15 pm

Where would the Sunday route end up & approx what time ? my co driver " wee wilks "would need to be in work Monday & the meet point of Stirling is around 4hours from home
Would camping be advantageous ? no gear & not done since scouts but sure we can rustle up a sheet of visqueen & rough it :oops: till the breakdown truck arrives that is :P
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:22 pm

The route officially ends at 1700/1730 at Stirling Services on the M9 - same as start point. It may be earlier, as there's plenty of slack in that. I think Wee Bing & I will be camping - not sure the B&B is huge, or if there is more than one. Hence suggesting we could stay in Dunvegan... But I need local knowledge from someone.

Halfords are selling off cheap tents I think - I'm sure I saw one for £15. Wee Bing may want his own, so I hope they're still on sale :D

Swiftly
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Swiftly » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:24 pm

Lorrain and I might be up for it, but that date is the weekend I am on duty as it is the Edinburgh Festival, so really depends what my patrol matrix is and if I can get someone to swap. However if I can manage to get the weekend off we will be there. I will let you know later in the week if that is okay?

1. Bing & Wee Bing
2. Paul and Steph (we'd like to stay at the B&B please)
3. Nick and Lorrain - strong possibility (we'd would be requiring B&B also)
Replacement, G29 Z4 M40i Lci in Alpine White :wub:
Gone G29 Z4 M40i in San Francisco Red
Gone F22 M240i auto coupe in Estoril Blue
Gone 2007 E85 3.0si Sport in Silver Grey,

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:30 pm

3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:32 pm

Be great if you can make it Swiftly, no worries about waiting. I think I'll try and get more info on the B&B ASAP - it says it sleeps 6, but not sure what the mix of rooms is. Might need booking ASAP.

I keep forgetting your profession, might be wanting some advice :lol:

Swiftly
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Swiftly » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:32 pm

Nice one Andy :thumbsup:

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:33 pm

Brilliant :lol:

Mine is a sale time festival tent from Millets years ago that has a foaming jug of ale and the words Beer Tent on the side :oops:

Swiftly
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Swiftly » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:36 pm

So guess that will be the forum beer tent then :wink:

Free samples then :lol:

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:39 pm

Indeed :D

This is the B&B at the campsite though there are others in Uig - http://www.uig-camping-skye.co.uk/about-bandb.shtml

2 doubles and one twin room. Got the price wrong, it's £30 per person. So far two doubles gone to Swiftly and Paul (assuming they're free, which I will check). May need you guys to call up and book individually if they are, but we can sort that when I know.

paulgs1000
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paulgs1000 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:42 pm

Bing wrote:Indeed :D

This is the B&B at the campsite though there are others in Uig - http://www.uig-camping-skye.co.uk/about-bandb.shtml

2 doubles and one twin room. Got the price wrong, it's £30 per person. So far two doubles gone to Swiftly and Paul (assuming they're free, which I will check). May need you guys to call up and book individually if they are, but we can sort that when I know.
That's fine - let us know and we'll book up.

:driving: :thumbsup:
Now Porsche flat 6 experience, 986S & 981S.
2006 Z4MR Imola Red/Imola Red, 2008 3.0si Sport Stratus Grey/Piano black, 2006 2.0I Sport Silver Grey Facelift. MX5, TVR Chimaera, many motorbikes.

Swiftly
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Swiftly » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:46 pm

paulgs1000 wrote:
Bing wrote:Indeed :D

That's fine - let us know and we'll book up.

:driving: :thumbsup:
Same here I should know tomorrow for sure :thumbsup: