Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

SkyeFall Run 2014 - 30th & 31st August - Updated 29/07/14

Planned road trips and road-trip reports go in here
Digitourist

Re: SkyeFall Run 2014 - 30th & 31st August - Updated 29/07/1

Post by Digitourist » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:02 pm

So I uploaded the pictures from my phone, you should be able to view them all at:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/24f69w0ds5rq ... 5Y5ua?dl=0
There is at least one video in there and that's from Ian's dash during a faster part of the run.

-------------
Sorted! It's a Dropbox link now that does work!
Last edited by Digitourist on Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

Post by inkey$ » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:18 pm

Literally amazing scenes :thumbsup:
Current: Project Audi A2 1.4SE
Previously: Z3R 2.8 • E46 330i • Z4R 3.0 • Z4///MC • E90 335i • Z4///MR • Z3///MC 'Breadvan' • Z3R 2.8 • E30 325i R • Z4C • Z4R 3.0

Swiftly
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Swiftly » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:35 pm

paulgs1000 wrote:
Wow Nick - that's a great bit of video and I particularly like the choice of music. :thumbsup:

You're right it can't bring the full effect of the grandeur of the scenery and what it was like sat amongst it all, especially along the coastline and underneath that central mass of mountains - that would need a 360 degree camera - incredible. But how lucky were we with the weather ! And - you got the white Fiesta! :thumbsup:

Nice one! :driving: :thumbsup:
Glad you liked the music :)

I was quite impressed with what the dash cam managed to capture. The quality looks more less sharp that the original copy I have, guess it must be down to youtube when it converts the original video :x
Replacement, G29 Z4 M40i Lci in Alpine White :wub:
Gone G29 Z4 M40i in San Francisco Red
Gone F22 M240i auto coupe in Estoril Blue
Gone 2007 E85 3.0si Sport in Silver Grey,

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PerryGunn » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:39 pm

Swiftly wrote:
paulgs1000 wrote:
Wow Nick - that's a great bit of video and I particularly like the choice of music. :thumbsup:

You're right it can't bring the full effect of the grandeur of the scenery and what it was like sat amongst it all, especially along the coastline and underneath that central mass of mountains - that would need a 360 degree camera - incredible. But how lucky were we with the weather ! And - you got the white Fiesta! :thumbsup:

Nice one! :driving: :thumbsup:
Glad you liked the music :)

I was quite impressed with what the dash cam managed to capture. The quality looks more less sharp that the original copy I have, guess it must be down to youtube when it converts the original video :x
Lovely video Nick, if you captured it at 60fps, I think YouTube also downconverts to 30fps which makes fast action look a bit more blurry...
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PerryGunn » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:37 pm

I've had a quick scout through Cindy's photos and, rather than post lots of similar pictures. I've taken a selection from the run

Surprisingly enough, we all turned up at Sterling services on time (even though Bing decided to bring the meet time forward).
As soon as we were there a gentle discussion broke out over Bing's routes - apparently Z4s aren't very good over cart tracks...

This went on for a while, the crowd got restless, and Swiftly started to wonder if there was time for a second breakfast before we left

Eventually the discussion on how we were going to get to Skye stopped and we got down to actually getting there…

As Ruth’s coupe was unable to make it, we had to settle for Ian’s mock coupe

Roads were wet and, at times, the spray meant that it was almost impossible to read the road signs... officer

The overcast weather led to some quite dramatic views of some of the lochs…

…and the hills (might have been a mountain but we couldn't see how high it was)

Then the roads dried out, tops came down, the fun started and the excuse about the spray went out the window

Thanks to Bing's insistence on an even earlier start, we got to Mallaig with lots (and lots) of time to spare…
…so we had lunch and then queued for the ferry hoping that the clouds were going the other way

Cars all got tightly packed on the ferry and, as we set off, there was a wonderful blaring of car alarms from people who forgot to turn them off - surprisingly this included Ian's car.
Very surprising really because, as we parked up, he gave Bing detailed instructions on how to disable the car alarm

Mallaig looked much more picturesque from sea

Wee Bing spent most of the crossing deep in thought, either wondering about a career in the Navy or doing that strange, teenage, ‘staring into space’ thing

Cindy flat out refused to do a Titanic pose as she was scared that it would tempt fate

Once on Skye we made tracks for Uig, unfortunately the first stretch was during the Skye equivalent of rush hour. We all got held up behind a little old lady in a hatchback,
there weren’t many passing places and she eventually pulled over to let the 5 mile tailback through but, before that happened, she was overtaken by a motorhome and a bus…
Just how slow do you have to be to be overtaken by a bus…?

The clouds seemed to get lower and lower and started to look quite menacing…

…but as we moved across Skye towards Uig patches of sunlight broke through

After pitching tents/checking into the B&B/Hotel, we retired to a local hostelry for something to eat, a wee dram and a discussion of the day...
…they kicked us out at about 10:30 as WB was too young to stay inside so we sat outside on the decking and got drunk....

When WB explained just how loud the snores were going to get, Oli and Vicky got worried that their tent was too close and wondered if they should have pitched in Dunvegan Image

Completely bereft of his iPhone, WB came out of his shell and tried his hardest to get into every photo that was taken....

At one point he thought that he'd pulled but the girls declined his offer a night in ‘The Beer Tent’ after realising that they’d also be sharing the tent with the Scots Snoring Machine...

By 1am Bing was very ‘tired’ but managed to stay on his feet, with a little assistance from Cindy and Vicky

The following morning was bright and sunny and perfect for a bit of a hoon

Clouds came and went but we managed to keep the convoy together and the roof down

The view as you come over Skye Bridge is just amazing, you go up one side seeing nothing but tarmac then as you go over the crest it just opens out

The road surface was extremely variable in quality and this could make some of the fast sweeping bends quite 'interesting'

Eilean Donan castle was wonderful - so nice to get to see something that appears so often on TV or in films only to find that it's even better in real life

If Carlsberg made roads...

For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move.
R L Stevenson

Wonderful weekend, thanks to everyone for making it so memorable...
Alpina Roadster S #320

Digitourist

Post by Digitourist » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:58 pm

That video from Ian's dashboard.
Last edited by Digitourist on Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PerryGunn » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:06 pm

Fixed it for you Darby...

You just need to put the TBnMp38mFv0 part between the 'youtube' & '/youtube' bits

strange timing, I'd only just watched it on your dropbox link - nice :thumbsup:
Alpina Roadster S #320

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:13 pm

some more from the camera!

bacon for breakfast :P

Is that Bing parping?

Can I pay for the BMW please?

Guisely wondering where his engine has gone.
:zzzz:

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:22 pm

PerryGunn wrote:Fixed it for you Darby...

You just need to put the TBnMp38mFv0 part between the 'youtube' & '/youtube' bits

strange timing, I'd only just watched it on your dropbox link - nice :thumbsup:
was worried this video contain sounds of "Barbie Girl" and scenes of unadulterated dancing.
thankfully not.
:zzzz:

Digitourist

Post by Digitourist » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:37 pm

Ah okey so in that case this should be the HD version:

paulgs1000
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paulgs1000 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:33 pm

PerryGunn wrote:
paulgs1000 wrote:...and then you washed the car as soon as you arrived home!!! :o :o
Had to Paul, it looked like this

:lol:
Crikey, what a difference - and there I was thinking all the sunshine we'd had, had faded your paintwork! :lol:

Just washed my Zed now and have to return to clean the wheels - Hi Ho, Hi Ho!! :(

:driving: :thumbsup:
Now Porsche flat 6 experience, 986S & 981S.
2006 Z4MR Imola Red/Imola Red, 2008 3.0si Sport Stratus Grey/Piano black, 2006 2.0I Sport Silver Grey Facelift. MX5, TVR Chimaera, many motorbikes.

Rory

Post by Rory » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:00 pm

I spotted you all :lol:

I was out in the zed for a drive with my brother, heading north from Callander towards Crianlarich when we were surprised to see a whole convoy of Z4s pass the other way!

Was a great day for a drive, I had a great time and looks like you all did too :thumbsup:
2005 3.0i SE Manual Sterling Grey. Stubby, strut brace, Koni adjustables, Remus exhaust, M steering wheel, wheel spacers. Owned 9 years now 😲 summer use only
VW Polo Gt daily

Swiftly
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Swiftly » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:19 pm

Rory wrote:I spotted you all :lol:

I was out in the zed for a drive with my brother, heading north from Callander towards Crianlarich when we were surprised to see a whole convoy of Z4s pass the other way!

Was a great day for a drive, I had a great time and looks like you all did too :thumbsup:
I waved at a silver grey zed as we drove past, was that you Rory?
Replacement, G29 Z4 M40i Lci in Alpine White :wub:
Gone G29 Z4 M40i in San Francisco Red
Gone F22 M240i auto coupe in Estoril Blue
Gone 2007 E85 3.0si Sport in Silver Grey,

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:25 pm

I love that we were spotted by two forumites and the campsite owner - brilliant :D

I am not sure we can compete with the photos you have all posted, they are brilliant. We had a slightly different perspective from the front with no Zs - and often no cars - in shot, so I'll sit with Alex and pick a few of the best for you all. This evening I hope :thumbsup:

Still got a buzz from how great the whole weekend was, all the stories and photos kept me going through a dreary day at work :driving:
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

paulgs1000
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paulgs1000 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:30 pm

Love your photos and write up Perry - brilliant!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

(Favourite - 'Can I pay for the BMW please. . .' ) :lol:

:driving: :thumbsup:
Now Porsche flat 6 experience, 986S & 981S.
2006 Z4MR Imola Red/Imola Red, 2008 3.0si Sport Stratus Grey/Piano black, 2006 2.0I Sport Silver Grey Facelift. MX5, TVR Chimaera, many motorbikes.