Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

///My Euro Road Trip (pics page 5)

Planned road trips and road-trip reports go in here
Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Re: ///My Euro Road Trip

Post by Taz » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:24 pm

Popey wrote:Wowzers that a bit more than expected, I was looking at routes that avoid most tolls. My thought on this where to A, save money and B, more interesting roads.
depends how quickly you want to get there. I opt for big long journeys to get as far south as possible in a quick as time possible. Once your down there you can then just potter around. I find the toll roads are best dealt with by credit cards, this way theres no panic trying to sort out money that your unfamiliar with

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:27 pm

srhutch wrote:
gasman wrote:Or take the ferry to Spain if you don`t like the long drive thru France.
Portsmouth to Santander or Bilbao, and Plymouth to Santander.
http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/ferry ... y-to-spain
Might as well fly if you going to do that.
I was thinking of doing that, then driving down to Barcelona, then ferry across to Italy, then drive back up from there

mattwaltersz4m

Post by mattwaltersz4m » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:30 pm

Fly unless you are going to go to a few other countries and mountain passes! Will also be a nightmare on the auto-routes with your badboy zorst!
Z4MR Carbon

JT_0306

Post by JT_0306 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:47 pm

mattwaltersz4m wrote:Fly unless you are going to go to a few other countries and mountain passes! Will also be a nightmare on the auto-routes with your badboy zorst!
This might be a stupid question - but how come? Do you mean because it is loud(er) for those in the car, or more likely to attract unwanted attention?
'06 Interlagos Blue Z4MR. Eventuri Intake and Evolve remap. H&S Exhaust. Absolutely loved it, but now sold :cry:
'10 Sepang Blue R8 Spyder, Manual. Top Gear F1 Valvetronic Exhaust. Love with this one too :D

Paulwirral

Post by Paulwirral » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:20 pm

Be sure to carry your wheel brace inside the car , just in case any friendly locals try to point out that you have a "flat tyre ", if you show it to them they'll soon go and find someone else with a " flat tyre " !
I always leave mine on top of the dash when grabbing shut eye , halfords extending one for extra reach !
Beware the car behind you in the petrol station , they may not be admiring your car when your paying for fuel .
Tourists are easy pickings for thieves so keep your wits about you , I've been up and down through Europe for years now and I've learnt not to trust anyone by experience .

nightyard

Post by nightyard » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:03 pm

Popey wrote:Wowzers that a bit more than expected, I was looking at routes that avoid most tolls. My thought on this where to A, save money and B, more interesting roads.
stay off the toll roads for sure if you want interesting (unless its a large bridge or tunnel with a toll then they are usually fun.
Current : 640D M Sport & F30 320D
Previous: e39 3.0i, e86 3.0i, e85 3.0i, e46 m3, mk1 Audi TT, e92 2.0D

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:18 pm

Paulwirral wrote:Be sure to carry your wheel brace inside the car , just in case any friendly locals try to point out that you have a "flat tyre ", if you show it to them they'll soon go and find someone else with a " flat tyre " !
I always leave mine on top of the dash when grabbing shut eye , halfords extending one for extra reach !
Beware the car behind you in the petrol station , they may not be admiring your car when your paying for fuel .
Tourists are easy pickings for thieves so keep your wits about you , I've been up and down through Europe for years now and I've learnt not to trust anyone by experience .
i have never had any problems at all

Lance

Post by Lance » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:22 pm

Paulwirral wrote:Be sure to carry your wheel brace inside the car , just in case any friendly locals try to point out that you have a "flat tyre ", if you show it to them they'll soon go and find someone else with a " flat tyre " !
I'm really surprised at that, I've been around many many parts of France and never had a single problem.

Obs-Com

Post by Obs-Com » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:30 pm

I've been driving across France and other west euro countries for many years and never had any issues. The roads and standard of driving is so much better than here. As long as you're "sensible" you wont have and problems. I find most people I've come across on my travels to be very friendly - so don't be put off.

If I was going from Northern French ports I'd use the motorway to Rouen as only partly toll. (7 euro?). I'd then go on the N154 across to Orleans as its free and a lot of duel carriageway. You can then use the A71 motorway all the way to Clermont Ferrand (25 euro) or use A roads, depending on how quick you want to get there. From Clermont all the way to Beziers on the A75 is a great drive and is free apart from the Millau Bridge (stop at the services just before the bridge for a great view of the bridge and valley). Beziers to the Spanish boarder via motorway is round 10 euro.

Fuel prices in France and Spain are cheaper than here currently (don't fill up on motorway) 1.23 euro France - 1.08 euro Spain. £600 would easily cover it for me for the return drive and driving round when there.

Hope you decide to go for it!
2011-14: E89 2.3sDrive
2014-16: E89 35is - Valencia Orange X2 (gone but not forgotten)
2016-17: F33 440i
2017-17: E85 2.5si
2017-19: F87 M2 - Long Beach Blue DCT (Stunning)
2019-23: G29 M40i First Edition (more stunning than the M2)
2023-??: G23 M440i

Paulwirral

Post by Paulwirral » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:21 pm

Taz wrote:
i have never had any problems at all
I have , car broke into just outside Barcelona in a sevice station when I was inside paying for fuel , twice had cars park behind me in french petrol stations as if they are waiting for me to move , plenty of other pumps free , in a zm coupe and caught them checking out what was in the back . Both times were Belgian plated cars .
I usually travel alone and need a sleep due to it being an 18 hour door to door journey hence I take precautions . I've been up and down through France for the last 15 years , usually 4 or 5 times a year so I'd guess the law of averages caught up with me .
Non baise avec moi voiture :D my french is dreadful but it does the trick :lol:

Popey

Post by Popey » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:40 am

Thanks guys.

I have wanted to do this for so long, I really can't wait to get started now... Roll on July!

Popey

Post by Popey » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:06 pm

On another note, what cleaning products should I take?

I'm thinking of using a jet wash with my wash mitt and taking some drying towels. I think bug removal will be vital lol.

Paulwirral

Post by Paulwirral » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:57 am

Lance wrote:
I'm really surprised at that, I've been around many many parts of France and never had a single problem.
He's also dropping into Spain , France is usually ok but best be careful . I've lived in both places and speak from experience .
Toll roads all the way and credit card payment for quick progress , millau bridge is s**t unless you stop on the viewing point before , or better , take the switchback road all the way down to millau town for a good drive and look up while having a cold beer outside the hotel .
Keep an eye out for random small french cars at the side of the road , speed traps are common in unsuspecting places as well as the motorway and backed up by motorbike cops , you don't know until they pull you over and fine you :D
If the roadside cops indicate you to pull in when your in Spain do so , the Spanish cops have less of a sense of humour than the gendarmes , and that's saying something !
Give me a shout if you come back up through the dordogne , if I'm down there you can call in for a BBQ and a few beers :thumbsup:

Popey

Post by Popey » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:25 am

BBQ and Beer sound great, very nice of you :thumbsup:

Do the xenons on the zed adjust for driving on the wrong side of the road?

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:02 am

Paulwirral wrote: millau bridge is s**t unless you stop on the viewing point before , or better , take the switchback road all the way down to millau town for a good drive and look up while having a cold beer outside the hotel .
Maybe a bit harsh but agree its somewhat of a letdown after a long drive as you get very little feel of the scale as you trundle across it (Pont d Normandy nr Le Havre leaves more of a impression imo :? )
I did the route into Millau 2 years running whilst the bridge was under construction & from below the sheer scale of the job really boggles the mind , still a good route down though for the volcano landscape :thumbsup:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo