Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

BMW tech crashed my car! What would you do?

Whether it's exceptional service or a bad experience, post them here. (Disclaimer: posters views are their own and not that of z4-forum.com)
Johnh1976

Post by Johnh1976 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:51 pm

Hi all,

My 14 plate with 15k miles is going in to Cooper BMW tomorrow as I have the whine in reverse. Will be interesting to see what they say. I'll keep everybody posted.

Update.
Took my car in and also asked them to repair a very small car park dent behind the drivers door. Courtesy car was a mini clubman diesel which has to be one of the ugliest cars around!
In the afternoon I got the expected call from the dealer. Except he was apologising to me saying their tech had scraped an alloy which will need replacing along with some suspension. Obviously BMW will repair to their standard and will repair the dent for free.
I said to him i wasn't to fussed and accidents happen, as long as they give me a BMW to replace the M135i I'm okay. But then I get thinking how did he manage to damage the wheel? Thoughts of a young tech guy thrashing around in my car started entering my head.
Anyhow, they have given me a 220d convertible manual which is okay but not a patch on my M135i. The service guy expects I'll be without the car for over a week.

So although I'm getting the dent repaired for free which was a smart repair worth probably £100 maybe I'm being to soft? What would everybody demand if it happened to them?
I probably should have demanded to see the car!
Previous Z4 3.0se auto with failed roof motor :headbang: 2009 Z4 3.0 sdrive auto :2016 TTS roadster

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:07 pm

You seem remarkably cool about it all TBH, Id wanted to see the damage and charbroil the tech as to how it happened. The wheel is explainable (but still bloody annoying) but buffed suspension takes a bit more creativity, presumably just moving it around the compound?
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Z4M-2006 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:27 pm

Think we have all scraped a wheel from time to time,but damaging the suspension takes a fair whack...

I wouldnt be happy at all....

The £30 for the dent repair is a piss take in the way of "BMW making the situation right"...

I would be at the dealers to see the extent of the damage asap......

Johnh1976

Post by Johnh1976 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:29 pm

Yes I surprised myself how laid back I was to be honest. It's only since I got home and spoke to a few people about it that I realise I may have slipped up!
I mean a scuffed alloy fair enough but suspension as well means he or she has lost control which means they would have been seriously flooring it! and without seeing the car how do I know that's all they have done.
Guess hindsight is a wonderful thing. What I do know is that I will check it thoroughly on return.
What I can say is the 220d is not a patch on the Z4 :)
Previous Z4 3.0se auto with failed roof motor :headbang: 2009 Z4 3.0 sdrive auto :2016 TTS roadster

Pastry

Post by Pastry » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:36 pm

I would be straight down there in the morning to inspect it and see if your'e getting the full story and find out the circumstances of the 'accident'. My Zed is in the garage this week and they've lent be a 420d convertible, trust me you've struck lucky with a 220d :poke:
991 Carrera 2S
Now gone:
2008 Z4MR Midnight Blue Metallic
2006 Z4 3.0si sport Ruby Black
2006 Z4 3.0si sport Titanium Silver
2010 Z4 23i Msport and a 3.0i

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:03 pm

Pastry wrote:I would be straight down there in the morning to inspect it and see if your'e getting the full story and find out the circumstances of the 'accident'. My Zed is in the garage this week and they've lent be a 420d convertible, trust me you've struck lucky with a 220d :poke:
That's what I'd do to put my mind at rest as to what the damage was and how caused. I'd want a new wheel and tyre (internal damage) and if the opposite is worn a matched pair.

End of the day through accidents happen and 5mph could damage a piece of suspension.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Johnh1976

Post by Johnh1976 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:05 pm

Quite honestly Im embarrassed to put the roof down and be seen :? It doesn't do it for me I'm afraid.
It's a good point about the tyres, internal damage could be an issue!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (149.59 KiB) Viewed 3709 times

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:02 pm

Maybe they were doing a Gas Monkey Garage burnout in the carpark and hit a kerb :o
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:08 am

Johnh1976 wrote:Hi all,

My 14 plate with 15k miles is going in to Cooper BMW tomorrow as I have the whine in reverse. Will be interesting to see what they say. I'll keep everybody posted.

Update.
Took my car in and also asked them to repair a very small car park dent behind the drivers door. Courtesy car was a mini clubman diesel which has to be one of the ugliest cars around!
In the afternoon I got the expected call from the dealer. Except he was apologising to me saying their tech had scraped an alloy which will need replacing along with some suspension. Obviously BMW will repair to their standard and will repair the dent for free.
I said to him i wasn't to fussed and accidents happen, as long as they give me a BMW to replace the M135i I'm okay. But then I get thinking how did he manage to damage the wheel? Thoughts of a young tech guy thrashing around in my car started entering my head.
Anyhow, they have given me a 220d convertible manual which is okay but not a patch on my M135i. The service guy expects I'll be without the car for over a week.

Y
So although I'm getting the dent repaired for free which was a smart repair worth probably £100 maybe I'm being to soft? What would everybody demand if it happened to them?
I probably should have demanded to see the car!

Sorry to hear mate. But sounds like a case of 'foulplay downplay' to me tbh.

Replacing any suspension component does indeed sound like its taken a bit of a whack or at least there has been a high enough impact load force applied to whichever suspension component to warrant damage and necessary replacement.

'Scraped alloy' to me translates as 'buckled alloy' demand to see the damage for yourself, also the damage to suspension.
Risidual damage could also have taken place if the whack was severe enough, in the form of associated components, fixings and fasteners. Even chassis damage could ensue from a severe enough whack.

I'd have been down there like a shot to see for myself. Don't want to scare you but this is your property for which the dealer may well be trying to downplay the damage over. Get down there and takea butchers.
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Sae

Post by Sae » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:23 am

Sounds like the tech has gone sideways into pavement kerb, I would be checking it out and ask to speak to the technician.

That's really s**t though you expect the dealers to be careful at all times, accidents happen, but doing a ferris bueller is definitely not cricket :((

Hope it's not serious.
Z4MCoupe Sapphire Black

Johnh1976

Post by Johnh1976 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:51 am

I'm going to see it tomorrow after thinking of Ferris Bueller! :D Top film by the way :D
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (13.57 KiB) Viewed 3628 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (37.25 KiB) Viewed 3628 times

Johnh1976

Post by Johnh1976 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:08 pm

Well here is the damage!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (106.75 KiB) Viewed 3550 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (136.2 KiB) Viewed 3550 times

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:13 pm

Christ, that's had a bit more than a simple curbing-it's taken a fair bit of force to do that :thumbsdown:
Poor show from the dealer that's taking "care" of your car!
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Pastry

Post by Pastry » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:16 pm

WTF That's naughty. Looks like someone's lost the arse end an hit the kerb hard, I'd be fuming :thumbsdown:
991 Carrera 2S
Now gone:
2008 Z4MR Midnight Blue Metallic
2006 Z4 3.0si sport Ruby Black
2006 Z4 3.0si sport Titanium Silver
2010 Z4 23i Msport and a 3.0i

jan_tekin

Post by jan_tekin » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:17 pm

Shocking :o
Current: M135i
Sold:3.0lsi Sport Roadster, Xenons,Heated seats, blutooth, Hi Fi,Comfort Pack, Cruse Control, Stormworks ST1
Gear Knob, Stubby, KW V2s, 224s