Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

BMW tech crashed my car! What would you do?

Whether it's exceptional service or a bad experience, post them here. (Disclaimer: posters views are their own and not that of z4-forum.com)
ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:14 pm

Be fair but firm !
It's been said - you do not have the problem. Play your cards close - the DP will want to minimise his costs but of course that's his problem and not yours!

You should come out with a newer car at no extra cost - the first service or a service package should be a given - just make sure you you take it elsewhere!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Z4M-2006 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:20 pm

And this forum is definitely monitered...

I made a comment about my M coupe when it was in for warranty paintwork on the tailgate,and they had the car 3 months..

I said something along the lines of "someone is going to need dental work" if i dont get my car back,and the DP of the dealer mentioned it when we had a conversation and asked me to delete the comment....

Johnh1976

Post by Johnh1976 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:15 pm

Good advice as always guys, it's when a situation like this arises either for me or somebody else that forums like this are great :thumbsup:
Previous Z4 3.0se auto with failed roof motor :headbang: 2009 Z4 3.0 sdrive auto :2016 TTS roadster

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:36 pm

So they are saying that the tech hit an object in the road which caused him to lose control.
What sort of object causes you to lose control enough that the car spins and hits a pavement?
Is there other damage at the front end of the car that has not been looked at?
Sounds like bull but obviously they wont tell you what really happened, or more to the point the tech wont tell his bosses what really happened.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:18 pm

Does the log stored in the car show that the traction / stability control was on or off when the innocent technician had his most unfortunate mishap?! Insist on an answer to this question.

A friend span his Elise into a kerb with near identical external damage to that shown in your pictures. His less than one year old car was declared uneconomical to repair and written off due to damage to the drivetrain.
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

Johnh1976

Post by Johnh1976 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:19 pm

Believe it or not I was told he hit a bearing in the road that damaged the tyre and caused him to lose control!
Yep I must admit it's more than likely total make believe! I mean a pot hole yes but a bearing!
Previous Z4 3.0se auto with failed roof motor :headbang: 2009 Z4 3.0 sdrive auto :2016 TTS roadster

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:21 pm

Johnh1976 wrote:Believe it or not I was told he hit a bearing in the road that damaged the tyre and caused him to lose control!
Yep I must admit it's more than likely total make believe! I mean a pot hole yes but a bearing!
Sounds like a bucket of bull :roll:
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

RedLine

Post by RedLine » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:12 pm

Bearing? Complete and utter rubbish. You could drive over a brick and not have that damage.

But, it doesn't matter if the DP has accepted responsibility and will see you right, he's started moving to a negotiated settlement. He just wants to know what you want. Don't go overboard but define in you own mind what you would like and your minimum acceptable solution. Go for what you would like as your minimum. Don't let him make his problem your problem. He needs a quick solution not a drawn out affair.
Be firm. Don't threaten (especially the forum). Just state what you want. Go with it in writing so you don't get bullied and confused. He knows you know that it wasn't an accident. He can't afford to have that exposed. Make sure he knows you will seek assistance from on the legal side. He can't afford to let that happen.

He can effectively swap the car for you probably a (slightly) better car, then get yours repaired and back on the road and it just costs the hours and parts. It's his path of least resistance and pain. Get any agreement in writing. He doesn't need a Cat D car on his hands. I suspect that is what your insurer would see it as. Replacing your car ASAP is his least cost option. He will want to do it quickly but quietly.

Good luck - but, it sounds like he's decided what he's going to do. hes waiting for you to ask for lower than he's prepared to go I expect.
Z4 3.0L SI SPORT (in Montego Blue and Champagne Leather)
Z4 20i SDrive Msport
Land Rover Freelander 2 HSE
Previous - BMW 118i Convertible : Audi A3 : Jaguar S-Type : Audi A4 2.5 TDI Avant

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:56 am

CAT D :lol: for that damage? Are you on drugs?
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:44 am

ben g wrote:CAT D :lol: for that damage? Are you on drugs?
Agreed. At most it looks like it needs a new wheel, tyre and lower wishbone, but potentially there could be more damage found on a lift. My mate's Elise was thumped fairly hard to damage the drivetrain and write it off.
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

stuartinzg

Post by stuartinzg » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:14 pm

ben g wrote:CAT D :lol: for that damage? Are you on drugs?
That's not a very appropriate comment it is...

We don't know the full situation until the car is checked, he could have serious drive chain issues later on.
35iS, Black/Coral Red, 19" BBS CH-R/MPSS, Eiback Pro Springs, CoolCarbon Performance Pads, Golf T, Stubby, LED 80w halo's, X6 tips, CarPro CQuartz, Custom painted accessories

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:55 pm

If they buy it off you it'll be interesting to see if it ends up going to auction (losing them a fair whack) or if they sell it "approved used" stock.
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:13 pm

sp3ctre wrote:If they buy it off you it'll be interesting to see if it ends up going to auction (losing them a fair whack) or if they sell it "approved used" stock.
The next buyer will be none the wiser. How would they know?

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:19 pm

srhutch wrote:
sp3ctre wrote:If they buy it off you it'll be interesting to see if it ends up going to auction (losing them a fair whack) or if they sell it "approved used" stock.
The next buyer will be none the wiser. How would they know?
Kinda makes a mockery of "approved used" though, doesn't it?!
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

wegras

Post by wegras » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:07 pm

Looks like we need to know the Reg :evil: :evil:
2007 Z4 3.0 si Sport Auto Monaco Blue Roadster / 2013 X1 2.5d Auto M Sport White
1st BMW a 2002 when they were current ..! and wife has a 2014 Mini Cooper auto
All BMW family