Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

BMW tech crashed my car! What would you do?

Whether it's exceptional service or a bad experience, post them here. (Disclaimer: posters views are their own and not that of z4-forum.com)
sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:13 pm

Johnh1976 wrote: I'm going to let them repair it and then ask to see the principal as I have taken legal advice and need to discuss my options with him regarding what compensation will work best for me.
By letting them do anything you are weakening your case. Nothing should be done at all until you have met with the dealer principal.
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markplant » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:31 pm

My 2 cents

Could they get the car 4 wheel aligned before doing anything else , just to see how it sits now,

This should show that if the other rear wheel is now bad that the shock has gone across the complete drive train and may like others have said effect the diff

It may be that like with crash protection and crumble zones the parts that are damaged have weak points built in , which might have saved more valuable components,
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:59 pm

Johnh1976 wrote:Yes I agree,
I'm going to let them repair it and then ask to see the principal as I have taken legal advice and need to discuss my options with him regarding what compensation will work best for me.
Bottom line is a crashed car is worth less market value and we need to negotiate what that value is!
Of coarse I will let everybody know the outcome :thumbsup:
No - don't let them touch your car until you've had a full meaningful conversation with the DP
When it's been repaired they will say it was a mere scratch and all evidence will be sprayed over - the DP is your first call on Monday I suggest !

When you do go in and I sincerely hope you do, go in with a partner or something recording the conversation in suit pocket as an aide memoire!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

RedLine

Post by RedLine » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:14 pm

That has had a serious impact. As said earlier, the force may have caused misalignment of the whole drive train. It isn't accidental damage.
If you allowing them to repair it you need to makes sure that the dealer accepts that it remains liable if the issues are not fully and completely repaired to your satisfaction.
I would have thought the tech and dealer are criminally liable for the damage. That could not have been caused unless the tech was driving dangerously. Tell the DP you will report it as criminal damage unless they fully under-right all repairs now and in the future until you are satisfied by a 3rd party inspection that all is fixed. Don't let them near the car until you get that agreement. The dealer will pay for that inspection. Because of the nature of the damage, you need to get that full independent inspection report - that needs to be a full engineering report not just a visual check.
They will agree - they won't want it making a criminal case. It is beyond a civil liability issue because the way it was caused. Gently remind them you expect to be put back in the situation you were when you left the car with them otherwise you may have to report the dangerous driving. If however it was done within the dealership, they will have security video. Tell them you want a copy so you can demonstrate in future how the damage was caused unless they give you a future guaranteed value for trade in.
There is great risk that if you let them repair it, the moment you drive away they will blame and further issues on you and that you caused it.
You need to protect yourself against it. Also insist that the whole issue including their liability is in the service history..
In the end it will be cheaper and less hassle for them to get you an identical replacement. You shouldn't be impacted in any way because they can't control their staff. You shouldn't have to take a hit so they can protect or mitigate impact on their bottom line. Stand up for your rights. I would contemplate getting a solicitor involved. It might be the best £50 you'll spend this year.
Z4 3.0L SI SPORT (in Montego Blue and Champagne Leather)
Z4 20i SDrive Msport
Land Rover Freelander 2 HSE
Previous - BMW 118i Convertible : Audi A3 : Jaguar S-Type : Audi A4 2.5 TDI Avant

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:21 pm

Did you buy the car from this dealer - if so, the simple and only acceptable solution for me is a 100 % buy back!

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:27 pm

sp3ctre wrote:
Johnh1976 wrote: I'm going to let them repair it and then ask to see the principal as I have taken legal advice and need to discuss my options with him regarding what compensation will work best for me.
By letting them do anything you are weakening your case. Nothing should be done at all until you have met with the dealer principal.
100% correct and as I've clearly stated before and others have too.
The moment they start work on your car you're finished. The DP will simply state - 'sorry, but we've repaired it to BMW standards, there's nothing more I can nor will do'. That's assuming he even then speaks to you.

You simply must get whatever it is you seek agreed and settled before a finger an repair is authorised or started.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:07 pm

ronk wrote:Did you buy the car from this dealer

Johnh1976

Post by Johnh1976 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:43 pm

Okay guys I went back to the dealer today to get an appointment with the dealer principal. They gave me his details so I have asked him for a meeting, hopefully he will get back to me tomorrow.
I went to have a look at my car also and took more photos. What really pissed me off is that they have left it under a tree where all the birds are shixxxng on it! These guys basically don't give a toss about other people's property, suffice to say I lost it a little :x
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (171.68 KiB) Viewed 3149 times
Previous Z4 3.0se auto with failed roof motor :headbang: 2009 Z4 3.0 sdrive auto :2016 TTS roadster

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:54 pm

Johnh1976 wrote:Okay guys I went back to the dealer today to get an appointment with the dealer principal. They gave me his details so I have asked him for a meeting, hopefully he will get back to me tomorrow.
I went to have a look at my car also and took more photos. What really pissed me off is that they have left it under a tree where all the birds are shixxxng on it! These guys basically don't give a toss about other people's property, suffice to say I lost it a little :x
I hope this leaves you "fired up " for the eventual meeting !

I'm sure they don't give a hoot about your car and can only be rubbing salt into the wound by the additional and subsequent mistreatment !

When you see the DP, unless he offers the deal of the century, then in my opinion, it would be prudent to give it some consideration before acceptance.

wegras

Post by wegras » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:55 pm

Johnh1976 wrote:Okay guys I went back to the dealer today to get an appointment with the dealer principal. They gave me his details so I have asked him for a meeting, hopefully he will get back to me tomorrow.

At last recognising what you dealing with they are an embarrassment to the Roundel
Make sure you have a recording of meeting ,as suggested, they clearly cannot be trusted on any level
2007 Z4 3.0 si Sport Auto Monaco Blue Roadster / 2013 X1 2.5d Auto M Sport White
1st BMW a 2002 when they were current ..! and wife has a 2014 Mini Cooper auto
All BMW family

wegras

Post by wegras » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:58 pm

RedLine wrote:That has had a serious impact. As said earlier, the force may have caused misalignment of the whole drive train. It isn't accidental damage.
If you allowing them to repair it you need to makes sure that the dealer accepts that it remains liable if the issues are not fully and completely repaired to your satisfaction.
I would have thought the tech and dealer are criminally liable for the damage. That could not have been caused unless the tech was driving dangerously. Tell the DP you will report it as criminal damage unless they fully under-right all repairs now and in the future until you are satisfied by a 3rd party inspection that all is fixed. Don't let them near the car until you get that agreement. The dealer will pay for that inspection. Because of the nature of the damage, you need to get that full independent inspection report - that needs to be a full engineering report not just a visual check.
They will agree - they won't want it making a criminal case. It is beyond a civil liability issue because the way it was caused. Gently remind them you expect to be put back in the situation you were when you left the car with them otherwise you may have to report the dangerous driving. If however it was done within the dealership, they will have security video. Tell them you want a copy so you can demonstrate in future how the damage was caused unless they give you a future guaranteed value for trade in.
There is great risk that if you let them repair it, the moment you drive away they will blame and further issues on you and that you caused it.
You need to protect yourself against it. Also insist that the whole issue including their liability is in the service history..
In the end it will be cheaper and less hassle for them to get you an identical replacement. You shouldn't be impacted in any way because they can't control their staff. You shouldn't have to take a hit so they can protect or mitigate impact on their bottom line. Stand up for your rights. I would contemplate getting a solicitor involved. It might be the best £50 you'll spend this year.
Remenber the points Redline makes he is spot on this was not an accident
2007 Z4 3.0 si Sport Auto Monaco Blue Roadster / 2013 X1 2.5d Auto M Sport White
All BMW family

Johnh1976

Post by Johnh1976 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:19 pm

Update

Went to see the dealer principal today :thumbsup:
I asked him what happened? I told him it was obvious the car has lost control of which he agreed. He went to explain that the tech who was driving it also has an M135i so is use to it and apparently he hit an object on the road that caused the car to lose control.
I then explained that many people have given advice on what I should do and it would seem I have a case for compensation due to the car being worth less after an accident.
He explained that in his own opinion the car will not lose value! I of coarse went on to say I think it would!

Thinking as quickly as I could I replied that if you believe it has not lost value then buy it off me for a bit less than I paid for 3 months ago and resell it for a profit if you can and source me another car. His mood suddenly changed and he agreed that would be the best idea.
He went on to add that he was embarrassed about what has happened and will do everything he can to make sure I'm happy. Anyhow he is going to get some figures over to me this week so until then I can't be 100% about a great deal just yet but it's looking good :thumbsup:
Of coarse I mentioned that the forum is watching :D

Hi all,

My 14 plate with 15k miles is going in to Cooper BMW tomorrow as I have the whine in reverse. Will be interesting to see what they say. I'll keep everybody posted.

Update.
Took my car in and also asked them to repair a very small car park dent behind the drivers door. Courtesy car was a mini clubman diesel which has to be one of the ugliest cars around!
In the afternoon I got the expected call from the dealer. Except he was apologising to me saying their tech had scraped an alloy which will need replacing along with some suspension. Obviously BMW will repair to their standard and will repair the dent for free.
I said to him i wasn't to fussed and accidents happen, as long as they give me a BMW to replace the M135i I'm okay. But then I get thinking how did he manage to damage the wheel? Thoughts of a young tech guy thrashing around in my car started entering my head.
Anyhow, they have given me a 220d convertible manual which is okay but not a patch on my M135i. The service guy expects I'll be without the car for over a week.
Previous Z4 3.0se auto with failed roof motor :headbang: 2009 Z4 3.0 sdrive auto :2016 TTS roadster

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:38 pm

Did you buy the car from them ?

Do not take a dive in price - if it had not been for his staff farting about in your car, you would not be contemplating spending more cash!

I would not overplay the forum yet - and I would suggest you don't accept his first offer and unless otherwise stated, it's a guilty plea!

wegras

Post by wegras » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:54 pm

ronk wrote:Did you buy the car from them ?

Do not take a dive in price - if it had not been for his staff farting about in your car, you would not be contemplating spending more cash!

I would not overplay the forum yet - and I would suggest you don't accept his first offer and unless otherwise stated, it's a guilty plea!
again :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
All BMW family

wegras

Post by wegras » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:59 pm

John don't forget DP is the one with the problem not you so echoing ronk stick to your guns you have nothing to loose the Dealer considerably more
BMW UK
Local press
Letters to the editor ,Autocar etc
and then there is social media the ultimate weapon
All BMW family