Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Wanted-Z4MR

Buying and selling Z4's (VEHICLE SALES ONLY) (private sales only, no traders)
z4all

Wanted-Z4MR

Post by z4all » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:00 pm

kxaddict wrote:
z4all wrote:Well I've had experience of the s54 before hence my caution. If the right one doesn't come up, I simply won't buy. I'm not desperate for one but would defo love to have one. Price is the probably the main issue though I would say. I think so many of them are priced based on these overpriced cars that are for sale for 6 months etc, which imo is the wrong way to price. I don't want to be stung whenever I go to sell.
Hmm. If I were buying I'd set myself a budget and go find the best car I could within that budget. If I couldn't find a decent car then I'd either re-assess the budget, or consider a different car :thumbsup:

I don't understand people under-valuing them at their current price. There's nothing else you can buy for the same money (age/ rarity/ performance etc) With their limited 2-year run; they're only going to be increasing in price too..
Well the cars aren't selling so that says everything really...

stujeffrey

Wanted-Z4MR

Post by stujeffrey » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:46 pm

It is for sure a buyers market at the moment. I think about a grand has dropped out of valuations in the last 6 months, especially on Coupes.

I watch the market closely still even after have my Z4MC for almost 6 months! If you want one in excellent condition with a great service pedigree, one in a decent colour combo, decent spec and with medium miles/owners (circa 60k and 2/3 owners) then I think the market sits at £14k for a roady and £17k for a coupe.

The fact is that these cars are a great investment (look at the Z3Ms now) and even though I paid over the market value for mine (as it was the colour combo I wanted) you still cant find a car with the same wow factor for the same price......but I am seriously biased.

Good luck with your search. I would suggest that one with an engine rebuild is so unlikely....if well serviced and cared for the engines are pretty much bullet proof!
BMW Z4 M Coupe / 2006 / Interlagos Blue
Eibach Springs / Gruppe M / Powervalve BCS exhaust / Carbon rear lip spoiler / ZHP / PSS

GONE: Porsche 997.1 Carrera S Convertible
GONE: Porsche 987.1 Box S
GONE: BMW 118d M Sport

z4all

Wanted-Z4MR

Post by z4all » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:25 pm

Don't totally agree regarding the engines and really there are very good alternatives for similar or less money. E46 m3 for example and they are much cheaper. That's why I think these seem to sit for a while. The market is very small at the prices they seem to be up at. There's been one up for sale on Autotrader for over 6 months now and it's at 10k with a dealer.

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Wanted-Z4MR

Post by tomscott » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:00 pm

Ye but with the E46 M3 they made so many finding a good one is a minefield. I decided I wanted one a few months ago after great memories having one many years ago and they have aged so much. They are old with the last being made in 2006 earliest 2001 and the first Zs being produced in 06.

About 5 years ago they dipped to the lowest they have been and many were bought used and abused now they are in high demand finding one that hasn't been abused is very difficult. Service history all over the place. These cars cost good money to keep them running and people generally don't want to spend the money, also many weren't fuelled on super just standard unleaded... Especially facelift cars any low mileage late cars 05> are in the 25-30k region.

Every car I looked at in the 10-15k area were in really awful condition. I ended up test drivin an SMG manual because the GF wants a convertable and at the time I was commuting thinking the auto would be a good compromise. I can only tell you how shocking the car was to drive and lopping off the roof made the car feel like glass. The chassis wabbles at every bump completely shocked compared to how the coupe drives the SMG is absolutely awful by todays standards your literally waiting for it to change.. and its very jerky. Compared to my Z4Mc the interiors wear badly and the Zs don't wear well and it felt old... the Z is still on the cusp of being slightly modern apart from its computer OS. The M3 was an 05 with 60k on it.

Good M3 manual coupes command more money than the equivalent Z4Ms currently so have to disagree with you and there are virtualy non for sale.

Unless you want a convertible SMG then ye... but there are so many issues with the M3 like them ripping the sub frame apart and age has made this issue even worse. Not a good investment IMO in the sub 14k area.

The Z4M is yet to produce any major issues, doesn't rip itself apart like the M3 and Z3M does. The engines are the updated version so the failure rate especially on Z4-forum has been virtually non existent. I can think of 2 cars that have had catastrophic engine failure since ive been a member.

Its easy to say they are good value for money until you buy one and realise you need to spend how much money you need to spend getting it into decent condition.

stujeffrey

Wanted-Z4MR

Post by stujeffrey » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:57 pm

An excellent sorted e46 M3 in a later year with ave miles will set you back 15k easy. It's finding one that I found impossible.....plenty at 10-12k that need some love. I was looking for one until I happened to find out about a local Z4M!

I guess it's what you want the car for that matters. Having had Porsche's in this price bracket I am sticking with the Z as I couldn't find a car with the raw feel, looks and rarity that came close. Only other car I considered was an RS4 but got talked out of one of those by a friend and mechanic who had countless issues.

Mine is a weekender only.
BMW Z4 M Coupe / 2006 / Interlagos Blue
Eibach Springs / Gruppe M / Powervalve BCS exhaust / Carbon rear lip spoiler / ZHP / PSS

GONE: Porsche 997.1 Carrera S Convertible
GONE: Porsche 987.1 Box S
GONE: BMW 118d M Sport

z4all

Wanted-Z4MR

Post by z4all » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:27 am

Get in M3 cutters. 8-12k will have you a nice one.

kxaddict

Wanted-Z4MR

Post by kxaddict » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:27 pm

z4all wrote:Don't totally agree regarding the engines and really there are very good alternatives for similar or less money. E46 m3 for example and they are much cheaper. That's why I think these seem to sit for a while. The market is very small at the prices they seem to be up at. There's been one up for sale on Autotrader for over 6 months now and it's at 10k with a dealer.
E46's are everywhere, and you'd still need upwards of £14k for a decent sub 60k miles example.

The most like-for-like car IMO is something like a 997 911 which are far closer to £20k
A nice Boxster S would still set you back £14k+ (which isn't really like-for-like in terms of rarity or performance)

z4all wrote:
kxaddict wrote:
z4all wrote:Well I've had experience of the s54 before hence my caution. If the right one doesn't come up, I simply won't buy. I'm not desperate for one but would defo love to have one. Price is the probably the main issue though I would say. I think so many of them are priced based on these overpriced cars that are for sale for 6 months etc, which imo is the wrong way to price. I don't want to be stung whenever I go to sell.
Hmm. If I were buying I'd set myself a budget and go find the best car I could within that budget. If I couldn't find a decent car then I'd either re-assess the budget, or consider a different car :thumbsup:

I don't understand people under-valuing them at their current price. There's nothing else you can buy for the same money (age/ rarity/ performance etc) With their limited 2-year run; they're only going to be increasing in price too..
Well the cars aren't selling so that says everything really...
I disagree. Any that have sat around either have history missing or are high milers (or just way over-optimistic dealers). Decent cars shift fairly quickly. The car and condition is more important than price IMO.

Mad Professor

Wanted-Z4MR

Post by Mad Professor » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:01 pm

In my opinion your'e better paying strong money for the right car ,because in the long run you'll enjoy it more and wont have to shell out on loads of annoying niggles you inevitably get on a cheaper one . In the scheme of a few years of ownership an say extra 2k on top of 13-15k isn't that much of a big deal really- especially as these cars represent such cracking intrinsic value- and it will mean you'll get a much better deal when you come to sell it . You'll know when you look at the OCD type file of receipts if its been properly sorted . I would always be swayed by the mechanicals and accept a few cosmetic blemishes as a compromise . In any event if you drive it properly you will soon accumulate lots of stone chips and if you use it as a daily driver the usual wee car park dings are inevitable .I think the best fun is the chase and anticipation -bit like finding the right partner I guess .Best of luck in your quest . I have never had an Elise but have had numerous sevens and while i still hanker after another seven ,i'm not sure my old man musculoskeletal system is up that kind of experience any more .If an Evora was more affordable then perhaps that would float my boat . I had also previously toyed with the idea of a Europa but the reality is that cf Z4M they don't represent good bang for buck .
Present : 987 Box
Past history : ,Z4MR ,Cat HPC evo , XKR , Eunos VR , Eunos VS, Westie S8 ,TVR S2 , S54 Z3MR, SL500 , TVR Wedge 4.6 , Cat Xflow , Saab 900 Turbo ,Cat VXE ,Cat BDR, Cat Twincam , Elan S3 , Haldane Healey, Lancia HF turbo

Lites

Wanted-Z4MR

Post by Lites » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:49 pm

Edit - Nevermind, good luck finding one pal
BMW Z4MR - Black
BMW M240i - Blue