Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Does anyone know this car

Buying and selling Z4's (VEHICLE SALES ONLY) (private sales only, no traders)
firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:15 pm

Me and a friend are possibly looking at this car over the weekend (not for me) and I was wondering if any of you guys know of it. Also, what should we be looking out for (apart from a rusty roof) running gear and fittings wise. I'm pretty clued up on the E85 but not so the E89 .Any advice and comments would be much appreciated :thumbsup:
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ars&page=1
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:31 pm

Looks nice Firebobby. Good spec, no cruise though which may or may not matter. PDC there plus nav. Apart from the guy not having the foggiest which wheels it has, which are 19" 296's, check the inside rim of these for cracks as yes, they are the crack prone ones. Check the roof for smooth operation. One of you stand behind the car on start up and look for blue smoke from the pipes indicating possible turbo impeller shaft seal problems. It's a non M sport so you've no worries with mega expensive leaking shockers. Check the boot for water ingress, could be knackered rear light cluster seals. DCT is clunky and a bit awkward and slow changing from reverse to forward and vice verser so don't worry about that, but it should be smooth and change seamlessly on the go in auto and give quick rapid changes on the move in manual, getting faster as the speed increases. Other than those just the usual car checks. I will have forgotten something but others will be along to fill in the gaps.

Best of luck. :thumbsup:
Last edited by john-e89 on Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Pastry

Post by Pastry » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:38 pm

You have a friend Fred, are you sure? :poke:
I would advise checking the roof for corrosion! :roll:
991 Carrera 2S
Now gone:
2008 Z4MR Midnight Blue Metallic
2006 Z4 3.0si sport Ruby Black
2006 Z4 3.0si sport Titanium Silver
2010 Z4 23i Msport and a 3.0i

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:46 pm

john-e89 wrote:Looks nice Firebobby. Good spec, no cruise though which may or may not matter. PDC there plus nav. Apart from the guy not having the foggiest which wheels it has, which are 19" 296's, check the inside rim of these for cracks as yes, they are the crack prone ones. Check the roof for smooth operation. One of you stand behind the car on start up and look for blue smoke from the pipes indicating possible turbo impeller shaft seal problems. It's a non M sport so you've no worries with mega expensive leaking shockers. Check the boot for water ingress, could be knackered rear light cluster seals. DCT is clunky and a bit awkward and slow changing from reverse to forward and vice verser so don't worry about that, but it should be smooth and change seamlessly on the go in auto and give quick rapid changes on the move in manual, getting faster as the speed increases. Other than those just the usual car checks. I will have forgotten something but others will be along to fill in the gaps.

Thanks for the tips John, I will have a good look at the inner wheels, how much are they to replace by the way? My mates quite a perfectionist so between us, we should spot any body issues, if we go :wink:
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Mini 1000 1981

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:49 pm

Pastry wrote:You have a friend Fred, are you sure? :poke:
Only a muppet would buy a rusty roofed car :poke:
So with you, that means I have 2 friends, Yay :nahnah:
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Mini 1000 1981

Pastry

Post by Pastry » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:54 pm

firebobby wrote:
No, only a muppet would buy a rusty roofed car, fight BMW for weeks to get it fixed free, then sell the bloody thing :oops:
991 Carrera 2S
Now gone:
2008 Z4MR Midnight Blue Metallic
2006 Z4 3.0si sport Ruby Black
2006 Z4 3.0si sport Titanium Silver
2010 Z4 23i Msport and a 3.0i

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:00 pm

firebobby wrote:
john-e89 wrote:Looks nice Firebobby. Good spec, no cruise though which may or may not matter. PDC there plus nav. Apart from the guy not having the foggiest which wheels it has, which are 19" 296's, check the inside rim of these for cracks as yes, they are the crack prone ones. Check the roof for smooth operation. One of you stand behind the car on start up and look for blue smoke from the pipes indicating possible turbo impeller shaft seal problems. It's a non M sport so you've no worries with mega expensive leaking shockers. Check the boot for water ingress, could be knackered rear light cluster seals. DCT is clunky and a bit awkward and slow changing from reverse to forward and vice verser so don't worry about that, but it should be smooth and change seamlessly on the go in auto and give quick rapid changes on the move in manual, getting faster as the speed increases. Other than those just the usual car checks. I will have forgotten something but others will be along to fill in the gaps.

Thanks for the tips John, I will have a good look at the inner wheels, how much are they to replace by the way? My mates quite a perfectionist so between us, we should spot any body issues, if we go :wink:
They're £495 a pop for genuine. However they look like they've been refurbed to me as I can't see the diamond polished face on the spokes, pretty common on these wheels at this age, so you'd need to buy 2nd hand anyway and get it refurbed.
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:00 pm

Pastry wrote:
firebobby wrote:
No, only a muppet would buy a rusty roofed car, fight BMW for weeks to get it fixed free, then sell the bloody thing :oops:
:rofl: :rofl: very true Paul :rofl: :thumbsup:
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Mini 1000 1981

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:45 pm

So, we are definitely going tomorrow morning, if anyone else has other advice or knows of this car, please feel free to comment, thanks :thumbsup:
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Mini 1000 1981

step_change

Post by step_change » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:45 pm

Good luck. Let us know how to get on. Looks a lovely car.
Gone :( : 2013 35is, Melbourne Red, DCT, Nav, Comfort pack
Gone: 2007 2.5is, Montego Blue, Auto, Nav

Sgreen

Post by Sgreen » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:06 pm

Condensation in tail lights, later cars had the problem solved, so budget for new.

Ian
Supra twin turbo, great in a straight, rubbish around twistys
NSX, pretty cool but no heated seats and can't get top down
Z4 23i sdrive, now gone, got the wrong car, need more power.
Z4 35is loved and missed
Z4 M40i one word sums it up Wow!

*AL*

Post by *AL* » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:12 pm

How did you get on? :driving:
2009 (59) Z4 E89 3.0i Sdrive in deep sea blue, white extended leather, I-drive, folding mirrors. Suzuki GSX 1300R Hayabusa

extrablatt

Post by extrablatt » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:26 pm

Looks like a tidy example of an E89 at a cracking price :thumbsup: hope it looked as good in person so your friend bought it!

The interior seems to be in very good condition. An 09 35i I looked at back in October with the same beige leather interior had badly discoloured speakers in the doors, which wasn't the end of the world, but annoyed me ever so slightly. That one was 13995, so you've won on the price front too, for a car with pretty much the same spec.
2013 E89 35iS Mineral White
19" 326M | heated seats & wheel | pro nav & hifi | stubby

Gone: 2010 E89 23i Space Grey

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:07 pm

Thanks for all the info.
So the car looks pretty stunning, it's had replacement wheels fitted which look Fine, apart from slight kerbing, pretty hard to have a proper look though. Tyre are RFT's.
No water in the boot area and the lights are dry and free from condensation.
The interior is clean, slight colour loss on the drivers seat cushion, but not bad. No smoke from cold start up and engine settle to a smooth tick over. Engine could do with a service, although only done a few thousand miles ago, oil looks pretty black.
There was a bit of ticking from the engine, not loud though, not sure what's normal, it's a bit noisier than my 30i on tick over ?
roof works fine, although there are 2 tiny scabs forming on the roof panel, so that would need doing
Body work is good, it has a small parking dent on the rear N/S arch.
It's had some work done on the front bumper, different number plate and the gap on the r/h/s of the bonnet is slightly higher than the other side, looking from the front.
Car drives very nicely and pulls well, no knocks or clunks or weird noises, the roof is rattle free too
My mates going to have a think about it and call the guy tomorrow

We had a look at 5 few more in car giant London and they were not as good.
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Mini 1000 1981

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:55 am

So my mate is still looking and has found this one, with very high spec, but also quite pricey IMO and a long way to travel. Does anyone recognise this car. There is a discrepancy with it's 1st MOT, but the garage says they have a DVLA letter that states the info is wrong. They are also sending over copies of the full BMW history.
My friend is really interested in it, but doesn't want to get burned, so if anyone does know of the car or the garage, then any info would be very welcome. Thanks
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ars&page=2
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Mini 1000 1981