Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Potential purchase advice

Buying and selling Z4's (VEHICLE SALES ONLY) (private sales only, no traders)
Mdyork

Post by Mdyork » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:25 pm

image.png
image.png (248.13 KiB) Viewed 731 times
image.png
image.png (270.01 KiB) Viewed 731 times
Hello, newbie here. I absolutely love the z4s - by far my favourite car. Unfortunately I'm a youngish driver and my budget isn't the most fruitful.
I've found this z4 and was just asking thoughts and advice.
103,000k on the clock. 2 keys, had MOT week ago, everything checked. Had front bumper replaced after right side dented by another car in traffic. Only issue is roof motor gone so new owner will have to replace but otherwise runs smoothly, no problems.
Only selling as rarely used now. Commute to the city on public transport Read less

Should I steer clear or does this sound ok. How much does a roof motor cost to buy and fit (anyone around the London area that does it?)

Thanks in advance for any replies

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:54 pm

You can use the roof motor to drive the price down, then get one of the roof guys on the forum to get it working again and move it to the boot. What are they asking for it, what engine, interior, history
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:03 pm

Just checked the MOT history and it's failed 7 times since 2006 ??
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paddy wright » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:23 pm

firebobby wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:03 pm Just checked the MOT history and it's failed 7 times since 2006 ??
Looking at the reasons for failure they are all minor e.g. consumables like tyres and wiper blades or known faluts with zs like cracked rear spring and weak handbrake. All have been sorted in a timely fashion and wouldn't overly let this worry the OP. Go have a look and see what you think in the flesh. Welcome along.
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:41 pm

Welcome OP.

Car looks good in the photos. :thumbsup: As has been suggested why not have a look at it and if it all looks good when you see it, and you can get it at a price you are happy with, then why not?

Good luck. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

csm180

Post by csm180 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:16 am

Most e85 owners have cars approaching major miles. Most will have had a number of owners and most will have had at least one surprise at mot, rear spring in my case. I believe buying with your eyes and ears is the best way. If the current owner has owned the car for a while ( 2 plus years in my opinion ) and can show money has been spent on the right things then all the past issues really pale into insignificance. I would also consider how I wanted to use the new car. If I planned to travel 100 plus miles a day then an e85 would not be the car for me. However if small daily journeys and some longer ones what better way to travel is there?. ( other than my new e89 8) ). Finally I would expect that the seller would have built in the fact the roof motor has failed, if this is the case the opportunity to drive down the price doesn't exist. I have always approached car selling as show the car and let the buyer decide, pointing out the relevant bits. If it were ever to become a battle the potential buyer can leave the same way they arrived. Best of luck finding your ideal e85, it may well be this one. :thumbsup:
E89 23i pearl black.
E85 Titanium Silver 3.0se sold