Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

GT86 --> Z4_ _ _? Help needed from Leeds

Buying and selling Z4's (VEHICLE SALES ONLY) (private sales only, no traders)
DataMark

Post by DataMark » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:04 pm

Hi All,

Bit of a newbie here, but I thought I'd post as I've just sold my GT86 and have been thinking about moving into a straight six engined Z4. My very kind brother (hi if you're reading this) let me take out his Z4MC which I loved and he's gently persuading me to get one too. I've had quite a few RWD cars before (Exige, Elise SC, Cayman S, Clio V6, etc etc), but the noise from his Z4MC was something else.

I can pretty much drive / fly to any location for the right car, but I've spotted one (a non-M car) right on my doorstep so wondered if anyone on here might know it. Are the 3 litre cars good fun too?
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... 3163353263

I'd quite like a convertible - has anyone seen any good ones that are currently available?

Mark

maxman

Post by maxman » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:49 pm

With your car history you would find a 3.0 a bit of a let down ,go for a z4m.

DataMark

Post by DataMark » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:06 pm

maxman wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:49 pm With your car history you would find a 3.0 a bit of a let down ,go for a z4m.
Possibly, but I found the Cayman a bit too quick for me (or rather I found myself using all the throttle as often as possible, so frequently found myself doing silly speeds). The 220bhp Elise was nice, but the 200bhp on the GT86 wasn't quick enough (due to the weight difference).

I guess I don't want to rule out a non-M car unless they are significantly different. Is there much in it?

I've just realised I might be opening a can of worms with that comment, but hopefully just a small one.

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:07 pm

Test drives are the only way you will know for sure..You may be pleasantly surprised at a 3.0si poke...speed is only half the story though with these cars, when the sun is shining and roof is down I often find myself lazily plodding about at legal speeds and it can be just as enjoyable as when you're giving it wot :thumbsup: :driving:
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:33 pm

As suggested, you really need to test drive one to see if it suits you!

I test drove a GT86 in April 2014 and really liked it, but still ended up buying a 3.0Si in June 2014 - it just felt so much quicker!

The M is even quicker, but you may find yourself having a repeat of your Cayman problem. :lol:

Good luck finding something you really like - the one in the advert in your post looks great BTW. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:13 pm

Yup as said, get out there and drive some. Just don't buy a 3ltr E89 untill you have driven an ///M roadster. They are very different characters. Reading your car history I think you would love the ///M and find a E89 a bit boaty, but only one way to be sure. :driving:

Happy hunting and Welcome. :)

lordgrover

Post by lordgrover » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:37 pm

I too moved from gt86 to Z4.
Loved my gt86, had it from new 1 September 2012 till this February. 50000 happy miles.
Z4 is very different. I have 35i DCT which is ballistic in comparison, but not chuckable. Way more relaxed and dare I say refined... Topless is where it's at.
Miss being able to boot it and rev the nuts off it - do that in the zed and I'd be dead or banned in short order.
Try a few, see what you think.

stevo///m3

Post by stevo///m3 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:46 pm

Hi Mark - I guess you're Phil's bro? He texted me earlier in the week...if not, ignore the below!
I also have a MC so can't help you on that front sadly but I do have access to an early E85 3.0 - by "have access" I mean I can get and drive most of the time. Because it is an early car, it has the M54 engine - amazing sound and decent performance but less poke than the newer facelifted 3.0si, at least from a horsepower numbers perspective. I'm really enjoying the M54 3.0 however, that coming from an MC owner. I'll help you if you like with a second opinion on any car you spot - especially S54-engined machines which is more my remit. Grab my number off Phil if you like as I'm not on here that often these days.
Cheers
Stevo
SOLD - '07 MCoupe-Sapphire Metallic-Imola leather-piano black
Previous: E36 Evo Vert
Current: ocean-going G31 estate
Insta: stevothecrab

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:21 am

stevo///m3 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:46 pm Hi Mark - I guess you're Phil's bro? He texted me earlier in the week...if not, ignore the below!
I also have a MC so can't help you on that front sadly but I do have access to an early E85 3.0 - by "have access" I mean I can get and drive most of the time. Because it is an early car, it has the M54 engine - amazing sound and decent performance but less poke than the newer facelifted 3.0si, at least from a horsepower numbers perspective. I'm really enjoying the M54 3.0 however, that coming from an MC owner. I'll help you if you like with a second opinion on any car you spot - especially S54-engined machines which is more my remit. Grab my number off Phil if you like as I'm not on here that often these days.
Cheers
Stevo
That sounds like a great offer OP. :lol:

It would be rude not to!

Good luck in your quest. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

DataMark

Post by DataMark » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:29 pm

Thanks everyone for the pointer, especially you Stevo! Yep Phil is my brother, I think we met when we went out on a run together with him last year.

It's a very kind offer, but I actually made a bit of a snap decision and rather than end up with a powerful softtop, I bought a Mini Cooper S yesterday. I loved the Z4MC but I've gone practical this time as I'm doing quite a lot of miles so put my sensible head on for a change.

Maybe Z4 next time...

Thank you all anyway

Mark

RyanB88

Post by RyanB88 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:25 pm

GOod hatchbacks the cooper s' and very chuckable... technically it is a BMW you went for anyway!
Z4 now sold :(

Current - M235i :thumbsup: