Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Look what my son did to my new Z4

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sat May 13, 2017 8:53 am

enzed4 wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 1:30 am
bulmor wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 11:38 pm
Thanks for info. Had a chat with my brother in law tonight, who used to do vehicle repairs as his job in an earlier life. I am not really mechanically minded, however it was just replacement panels from scrappies and bolts I would probably give it a go. He suggested that though some are bolted others (such as rear side panels) are normally welded, so getting new ones put on properly, plus all others replaced, then a re-spray to get everything matching up, plus getting replacement rear window in rooftop and windscreen would most probably add up to much of the money that they give me, that's not including replacement lights and side windows.

Am figuring if they offer me old car for somewhere near £500, totally worth it, even if I strip it down and sell as spares, once gets over £1k, could probably make money from stripping, but probably not worth rebuilding financially. :(
Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought all the panels were bolted on the Z4, not welded? There's even a recent thread on removing one of the rear side panels that involves removing a bit of the roof to get to one of the bolts.
Yes, all bolted on.

bulmor

Post by bulmor » Sat May 13, 2017 11:30 pm

srhutch wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 8:53 am
bulmor wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 11:38 pm
Thanks for info. Had a chat with my brother in law tonight, who used to do vehicle repairs as his job in an earlier life. I am not really mechanically minded, however it was just replacement panels from scrappies and bolts I would probably give it a go. He suggested that though some are bolted others (such as rear side panels) are normally welded, so getting new ones put on properly, plus all others replaced, then a re-spray to get everything matching up, plus getting replacement rear window in rooftop and windscreen would most probably add up to much of the money that they give me, that's not including replacement lights and side windows.

Am figuring if they offer me old car for somewhere near £500, totally worth it, even if I strip it down and sell as spares, once gets over £1k, could probably make money from stripping, but probably not worth rebuilding financially. :(
Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought all the panels were bolted on the Z4, not welded? There's even a recent thread on removing one of the rear side panels that involves removing a bit of the roof to get to one of the bolts.
Yes, all bolted on.
Thanks enzed4 and srhutch, maybe I will look at this again then. Any idea on the price of replacement glass in roof?

bulmor

Post by bulmor » Sat May 13, 2017 11:33 pm

bluespit wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 8:46 am just a thought but if they let you buy it back there may be someone on here who would buy it off you if you felt repairing or stripping it was beyond your capability.

there must be at leat £1200 of usable parts in the car
Yeah, did think well most of interior fine, engine fine, wheels fine. I think that is about it, but probably a bit of money there I guess. Don't really have a mechanical bone in my body unfortunately and do worry about getting oil on the drive (yeah easily managed if I make the effort I guess), so still considering. A couple of the other guys on here confirmed all panels are bolted, so that could make a difference in terms of how easily it could be repaired, though no doubt, all panels, windows, wind mirrors a couple of lights and a respray, would still amount to a fair whack.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sat May 13, 2017 11:44 pm

bulmor wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 11:33 pm
bluespit wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 8:46 am just a thought but if they let you buy it back there may be someone on here who would buy it off you if you felt repairing or stripping it was beyond your capability.

there must be at leat £1200 of usable parts in the car
Yeah, did think well most of interior fine, engine fine, wheels fine. I think that is about it, but probably a bit of money there I guess. Don't really have a mechanical bone in my body unfortunately and do worry about getting oil on the drive (yeah easily managed if I make the effort I guess), so still considering. A couple of the other guys on here confirmed all panels are bolted, so that could make a difference in terms of how easily it could be repaired, though no doubt, all panels, windows, wind mirrors a couple of lights and a respray, would still amount to a fair whack.
Repair it if you want but I fear that the car will always be a reminder of an event which you will not want a reminder of.
It will be more expensive but i would suggest for your peace of mind, get rid and start again with another car that's fitted with some things you've said "I wish my car had .... "
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sat May 13, 2017 11:47 pm

bulmor wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 11:30 pm

Yes, all bolted on.
Thanks enzed4 and srhutch, maybe I will look at this again then. Any idea on the price of replacement glass in roof?
Easy answer, but not what you want to hear. Will require a new mohair roof. Should be able to pick one up used fairly easily though.

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paddy wright » Sun May 14, 2017 10:54 am

srhutch wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 11:47 pm

Yes, all bolted on.
Easy answer, but not what you want to hear. Will require a new mohair roof. Should be able to pick one up used fairly easily though.
Used roof off eBay normally around £4-500 in good condition. I'd still say save your z, it will help you feel you have not been defeated!
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

Crazy Harry

Post by Crazy Harry » Sun May 14, 2017 7:45 pm

paddy wright wrote: Sun May 14, 2017 10:54 am
srhutch wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 11:47 pm

Used roof off eBay normally around £4-500 in good condition. I'd still say save your z, it will help you feel you have not been defeated!
New fitted £624 http://www.monsooncarhoods.co.uk/bmw-z4-hoods

I fancy a blue on for my blue Zed :wink:

bulmor

Post by bulmor » Sun May 14, 2017 9:57 pm

I don't think keeping the car would give me bad memories. Yes they are bad, but for some reason, not connected to the car (in my head).

Bad news on needing a new roof to deal with rear window :(

Good news on the pricing you guys spotted though, thought would be much more :)

Would I be right in thinking panels best picked up at a scrappies?

Then there is the respray I guess :(

Bit of a roller coaster this one!

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Post by kis » Sun May 14, 2017 10:31 pm

Really depends on how long you want to take? If your willing to wait I'm sure you can pick up panels already in Titan Silver.

Have you heard back from insurance yet? Think the "project" is a really viable option.

In regards to soft top, I'm sure if you don't have garage space then a hardtop would tie you over till you can get a good condition second hand one.
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

Crazy Harry

Post by Crazy Harry » Sun May 14, 2017 10:38 pm

bulmor wrote: Sun May 14, 2017 9:57 pm I don't think keeping the car would give me bad memories. Yes they are bad, but for some reason, not connected to the car (in my head).

Bad news on needing a new roof to deal with rear window :(

Good news on the pricing you guys spotted though, thought would be much more :)

Would I be right in thinking panels best picked up at a scrappies?

Then there is the respray I guess :(

Bit of a roller coaster this one!
If you look through other posts members have been able to get hold of panels that don't need spraying - just bolt on and away you go.

As I recall this seller has had good recommendations - has two rear wings in titan silver http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Z4-E85-RE ... 2980100063

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paddy wright » Sun May 14, 2017 10:52 pm

Same seller has a roof for sale- even comes with a motor that you could keep for future or sell in to recoup some of the cost
http://r.ebay.com/l05uBH
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Mon May 15, 2017 2:30 am

If you end up sourcing mismatched panels (although it looks like members here have given a few good pointers towards Titan Silver panels), you could always look at it as an opportunity to wrap the car, in silver, or any colour in the range that takes your fancy.
I doubt it will be as cheap as sourcing second hand panels of the same colour though - a good wrap is not cheap.
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

bulmor

Post by bulmor » Mon May 15, 2017 8:00 am

kis wrote: Sun May 14, 2017 10:31 pm Really depends on how long you want to take? If your willing to wait I'm sure you can pick up panels already in Titan Silver.

Have you heard back from insurance yet? Think the "project" is a really viable option.

In regards to soft top, I'm sure if you don't have garage space then a hardtop would tie you over till you can get a good condition second hand one.
Good shout

bulmor

Post by bulmor » Mon May 15, 2017 8:00 am

enzed4 wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 2:30 am If you end up sourcing mismatched panels (although it looks like members here have given a few good pointers towards Titan Silver panels), you could always look at it as an opportunity to wrap the car, in silver, or any colour in the range that takes your fancy.
I doubt it will be as cheap as sourcing second hand panels of the same colour though - a good wrap is not cheap.
Certainly an option, though I thought wraps only lasted a couple of years?

bulmor

Post by bulmor » Mon May 15, 2017 8:01 am

paddy wright wrote: Sun May 14, 2017 10:52 pm Same seller has a roof for sale- even comes with a motor that you could keep for future or sell in to recoup some of the cost
http://r.ebay.com/l05uBH
Thanks Paddy, I did look on ebay, but don't use it much, so was probably looking in the wrong place or something. (Have book marked the link)