Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

WTB Z4 Coupe - Montego Blue/Black - 50k-60k miles

Buying and selling Z4's (VEHICLE SALES ONLY) (private sales only, no traders)
NickSalf

Post by NickSalf » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:20 pm

I have decided to make a post on this forum to state my interest and describe what I am looking for,

Z4 Coupe - Si Sport
Colour: Montego Blue/Black/Red
Interior: Champagne Grey? (I think that name is correct, not the Nappa leather)
Transmission: Manual
Alloys: 18" 135M MV2
Miles: Below 60k
Budget: 9-10k
Sat Nav: Preferably without

I know you guys are super helpful so hopefully I will be able to find something quickly,

If anybody is interested, I am 24 & this will be my first car, insurance quote comes in at <£1000/year so I think why not?! Also, since I have decided to buy one, I cannot comprehend not buying one. Hopefully looking to complete a purchase within the next month.
Last edited by NickSalf on Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:07 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum OP. :thumbsup:

As you say, why not?

You may already know if you've spent any time on here, but all Coupes are 3.0Si (well other than the Ms) but there are SE models and Sport models. The SE has what BMW call Sport seats, but the Sport model has what they call M-Sport seats which are so much more suited to a car like a Z4 Coupe, plus the Sport has slightly stiffer and lower suspension (10mm I think).

You won't struggle to find a black or blue one but red are very few and far between! And I think the interior colour you mention may be officially Pearl Grey, but there was a Champagne option too!

There were two types of wheel as standard on the Sport Coupes, the 5 spoke ones you say you don't want are 108s! The other option was the 135M, also know as the MV2 but quite a few have been fitted with other BMW and non-BMW wheels.

Be aware that the standard spec was a bit mean, so if there are things you really want you need to look out for them as some aren't too easy to retro-fit! While they all had electric seats with driver's memory, the options list included heated seats, cruise control, rear parking sensors, Multi-Function Steering Wheel, cup-holders, CD changer and Xenon headlights (definitely worth having).

Good luck with the search - then you can post photos of yours! :)

And if there are things you aren't sure about someone on here can usually help!

Anyway, as an excuse to post a photo of the two I have had the first has the 135 wheels and the second has the 108s (both with Pearl Grey interior).
Attachments
Ruby Z4 220815.JPG
Ruby Z4 220815.JPG (324.1 KiB) Viewed 1211 times
Blue Z4 Nearside 141216.JPG
Blue Z4 Nearside 141216.JPG (336.72 KiB) Viewed 1211 times
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

philbo909

Post by philbo909 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:30 pm

Have you checked the for sale section? There's a couple of coupes on there roughly at your price range.
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=98333
I know that's over budget, but you'll soon wish you had the mods he's put on there bringing your 10 k spend up! (quaife Lsd namely)
And
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=98341
Miles are higher than what you want, but you're pushing with your budget and wanted miles imo
Sapphire black z4 coupe 135,000miles young

CraigP

Post by CraigP » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:59 pm

I'm not sure 10k is pushing it with low miles, personally I think that's quite a decent budget for a car that's 10 years old now and will need more maintenance than a newish car.I traded in my 2006 red Brera 3.2 for 5k last year with 59000 miles on which cost 35k new in 2006, as a comparison a z4 was just over 31k ten years ago and commands 10k, twice the value of the Brera so its not doing bad !

I've been looking for a couple of weeks now and prices appear to vary quite a lot between 8k and 12k and sometimes the ones in the 8k bracket are not so different to some of the 12k ones, eg some with mileage of 70k are asking 12k yet so are ones at £8000+

There's a silver se coupe on today on autotrader with just 41k at less than £10k, so coupes do come up with low mileage under 10k, there was a black on at 9.5k with 45000 miles on two weeks ago too

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... esc&page=1

Deepseaskateboard

Post by Deepseaskateboard » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:12 pm

Check this one out,

Best thing is, it will have had all the checks and repairs made by BMW, and it should have full history given its an approved used.

Stunning car and interior!
Love the E86, this car made me look twice, I have an e89, my e86 was a disaster! Broken engine!!

At least you will have full warranty with it! Worth a look!

http://usedcars.bmw.co.uk/Z/3.0si-Sport ... c=se_na_re_

gerryp

Post by gerryp » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:26 pm

Deepseaskateboard wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:12 pm Check this one out,

Best thing is, it will have had all the checks and repairs made by BMW, and it should have full history given its an approved used.

Stunning car and interior!
Love the E86, this car made me look twice, I have an e89, my e86 was a disaster! Broken engine!!

At least you will have full warranty with it! Worth a look!

http://usedcars.bmw.co.uk/Z/3.0si-Sport ... c=se_na_re_
Link not working.

Deepseaskateboard

Post by Deepseaskateboard » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:19 pm

Ahh, maybe cant link a search result from approved bmw?

I have attached a picture of the car. Input the correct search criteria and it will come up.

This probs wont be around forever though, two tone interior is really cool!
Attachments
IMG_6996.PNG
IMG_6996.PNG (505.36 KiB) Viewed 1152 times

z4pilot

Post by z4pilot » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:46 pm

CraigP wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:59 pm I'm not sure 10k is pushing it with low miles, personally I think that's quite a decent budget for a car that's 10 years old now and will need more maintenance than a newish car.I traded in my 2006 red Brera 3.2 for 5k last year with 59000 miles on which cost 35k new in 2006, as a comparison a z4 was just over 31k ten years ago and commands 10k, twice the value of the Brera so its not doing bad !

I've been looking for a couple of weeks now and prices appear to vary quite a lot between 8k and 12k and sometimes the ones in the 8k bracket are not so different to some of the 12k ones, eg some with mileage of 70k are asking 12k yet so are ones at £8000+

There's a silver se coupe on today on autotrader with just 41k at less than £10k, so coupes do come up with low mileage under 10k, there was a black on at 9.5k with 45000 miles on two weeks ago too

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... esc&page=1
I'm sure if you keep looking and are patient, something will come up. IMO, if that silver SE had been Sport spec with anything other than questionable taste full beige interior trim, general poverty spec (no heated seats etc) and 17 inch wheels, it would probably have been listed at closer to 11k.
Now Gone - 2008 Coupe, Montego Blue, Champagne leather and Piano Black interior, Eibachs & Koni Sport shocks, Style 230 19s, Eisenmann Quad - approaching perfection...

Boris

Post by Boris » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:32 pm

Not the right colour I know but worth looking at I would say.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... 500&page=7

NickSalf

Post by NickSalf » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:04 pm

Thanks for the reply's everyone, you are all very helpful. I have also had a couple of private messages but unfortunately it wont let me respond yet as I am a new member.

Im just not blown away by any of the silver ones, although I do really like the two tone interior and the idea of a bmw warranty for the one for sale in Hull, I think it might have gone already!

I think the full black one for sale looks really good, but its too modded for me im afraid!

I shall keep looking for a blue/black one with my preffered spec's! I am currently checking autotrader, pistonheads, this website & ebay!

Seen this one which looks really nice, what do you guys think? (miles a bit high)

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds ... ue/7448583

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:55 pm

Looks great OP - but I am definitely biased!

Plus it has parking sensors, Xenons, heated seats, Multi-function Steering Wheel and piano black trim - get it bought! :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Deepseaskateboard

Post by Deepseaskateboard » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:18 am

From experience I would always buy from a main dealer.

Buying privatley leaves you with no rights should anything go catastrophically wrong!

My E86 had done 72k miles and I kid you not the engine blew up 10 mins from the farm where I purchased it!

Luckily, (although at the time I was gutted) it happened then and there and saved me a lot of hassle.

If this was a private sale, I would have been 11K down.

I think this was just a one off, the engine is reputable, but just be wary purchasing one with out FSH and make sure its been looked after. How many owners could be a clue if its been passed about because of recurring faults!

Good luck with the purchasing. I rushed into my E86 sale, one will always come along for the right spec/ price despite being a relatively rare car.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:11 am

Sorry, but I'm not sure main dealer is the best option for a car that is about 10 years old.

And OP, you won't get one with the mileage you are looking for in your budget from a "stealer". :lol:

I bought my first one from AutoTrader and it was a pre-reg with 2 owners and FBMWSH. It was a Sport, and was £2K cheaper than a local indy trader wanted for a higher mileage SE with 2 RFTs and 2 non RFTs - seemed like a no-brainer to me! :rofl: Did 8,000 miles with that one and other than a painful water pump failure it behaved really well! Sold it to another forum member and hopefully it is still behaving itself!

I bought my current one off PistonHeads and have had it a year and done 5,000 miles - had a service and Insp 1 at TWG Automotive a few weeks ago and all is good (I know, that's the kiss of death)! :roll:

But it's all a bit of a gamble - do you pay a few grand more for a safety net, or take a chance?

If you are risk-averse go main agent, if you are willing to take a punt go private! And the latter option does at least mean you get to meet the last owner, which I find useful as you get a feel for how cherished the car has been.

Now just go and find one so we can have some photos! :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

CraigP

Post by CraigP » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:03 am

well here's one from a dealer, not that much above budget and really low mileage and a sport and only 11k in Blue too :)
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... =Z4&page=2

z4pilot

Post by z4pilot » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:09 am

NickSalf wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:04 pm Thanks for the reply's everyone, you are all very helpful. I have also had a couple of private messages but unfortunately it wont let me respond yet as I am a new member.

Im just not blown away by any of the silver ones, although I do really like the two tone interior and the idea of a bmw warranty for the one for sale in Hull, I think it might have gone already!

I think the full black one for sale looks really good, but its too modded for me im afraid!

I shall keep looking for a blue/black one with my preffered spec's! I am currently checking autotrader, pistonheads, this website & ebay!

Seen this one which looks really nice, what do you guys think? (miles a bit high)

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds ... ue/7448583
I honestly wouldn't worry too much about the mileage - these engines can take it and with the exception of the waterpump (which can quite honestly go at any point in time) they are very robust and give very little trouble. The spec looks good and the price is right - it also has the electric folding mirrors - which is a rare option. In fact I would prefer it to the London based car with less miles - that one has a headlight full of condensation. That in itself can be sorted quite easily, but points to poor dealer prep and possibly poor owner maintenance?
Now Gone - 2008 Coupe, Montego Blue, Champagne leather and Piano Black interior, Eibachs & Koni Sport shocks, Style 230 19s, Eisenmann Quad - approaching perfection...