Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Experiencing odd starting experience with 35i RESOLVED!

dario

Experiencing odd starting experience with 35i RESOLVED!

Post by dario » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:49 pm

Over the last few days my 35i has begun to start oddly. Since i've had this car, starts first whizz of the starter and the make a beautiful booming noise until the revs settle back to normal idle.

now on occasion, its starting like a bag of spanners not growl no fast idle no boom, today i was out with the mrs and it took a couple of seconds to catch (most unusual). running is normal, no lack of urgency or power. just odd starting.

Anybody had this or have any ideas?

Dario
Last edited by dario on Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

pvr
Legend
Legend

Re: Experiencing odd starting experience with 35i

Post by pvr » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:53 pm

Coil? Had something similar on a VW which was the coil pack when I checked around and after I replaced it all was well.

Do you have a code reader?
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

dario

Post by dario » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:03 pm

pvr wrote:Coil? Had something similar on a VW which was the coil pack when I checked around and after I replaced it all was well.

Do you have a code reader?
As i understand it PVR the the E89 shows its error codes on the car status display and there is nothing showing.

I've got extended warranty from BMW so i'm not worried, but i have to pay for investigation works. Might wait until it developed in to a real fault so theres not fanning around.

As i said in my bit it goes straight to warp speed without one hiccough so i don't see it being a coil. I guess it to be a sensor rather than a specific device.

I did read on one american forum that one guy (his dealer) to find a fault fitted 6 x coils, 6 x injectors, 6 x spark plugs...... crikey i'm sure i could have four the problem like that!

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:10 pm

What about on warm engine start? On the VW it was spanners at idle but fine during driving, hot or cold.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

dario

Post by dario » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:15 pm

pvr wrote:What about on warm engine start? On the VW it was spanners at idle but fine during driving, hot or cold.
no, it starts fine.

If i were a betting man, i might even suggest that it might sound like fuel run back, or pressure dropping in the fuel rail.

Stark
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Stark » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:35 pm

Sure it's not the valve on the exhaust?

dario

Post by dario » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:44 pm

Stark wrote:Sure it's not the valve on the exhaust?
What make you say that Stark? do you have experience of this not opening and causing this sort of problem.

I'd rather it just went wrong and stayed that way, but we don't get a choice in these matters :headbang:

dario

Post by dario » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:02 pm

It progressed further this morning. Instead of the normal Vrooom when it starts, today with 30degrees weather and parked in direct sunlight it barely would catch and Carrie who was walking behind me god covered in a plume of black smoke. Started on second attempt but just ticked over without the Vroooom it normally does.

Goes in on Tuesday and it can stay there until its fixed.

envy

Post by envy » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:53 pm

sounds odd. have you revved it hard to clear out some of the crap that may have built up in it??

dario

Post by dario » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:21 am

envy wrote:sounds odd. have you revved it hard to clear out some of the crap that may have built up in it??
There are no worries about this being revved hard! The taps are opened on a regular basis!!

envy

Post by envy » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:05 pm

lol thats a good thing :thumbsup:

gt68

Post by gt68 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:03 pm

Did you get to the bottom of the DCT knocking you mentioned a few months back?

Audi A6 3.0 TDI BE + BMW Z4 35is
Melbourne Red 35is

dario

Post by dario » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:27 pm

gt68 wrote:Did you get to the bottom of the DCT knocking you mentioned a few months back?

Audi A6 3.0 TDI BE + BMW Z4 35is
Ah, sorry.

I did!

They had it for weeks whilst loaning me a well specced 5 series GT Nice car, but as FUGLY as sin!!!

i had to take them out and get it to do the knocking. It took a long time with a super tech in the car and low and behold i could repeat the circumstances that caused the knocking........

They changed the HPFP and it went away :-)

strangely it looks like they are about to replace it as they think that might be the problem with the starting issue its currently suffering from.

Dario

dario

Post by dario » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:11 am

Its been a quite a while that my Z4 has been suffering from poor starting. With various trips to the dealers to resolve this problem to no avail!

the problem has recently got more annoying and ultimately frustrating. It had been back at the last part of last year and the after days and days at the dealers to replicate the fault, eventually a fault code pinged a coil pack as being faulty........? I was unconvinced and repeated poor starting showed that the fault was still there.

reading the internet i recently read that some 335i owners were suffering the same problem (same engine) and their faults had been traced to leaking fuel injectors (at rest). the effect of this was to dampen the cylinder over time and cause combustion at start up to be lumpy.

I took this theory to my dealer and they took note! had a phone call yesterday to advise that they had removed the injectors and found that they were indeed leaking. They also found a further 2 coils that have pinged fault codes.

I'm preying that this problem is finally at an end for me.

this is the video i presented to the dealer to show it ran like a bag of spanners on start up.

Stark
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Stark » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:53 am

I think you'd need to be there to properly hear it, because I just hear a lovely sound that reminds me of mine

Glad they are sorting it though :thumbsup: