Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

I can't get into my car! Help

Gizmo-R

I can't get into my car! Help

Post by Gizmo-R » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:11 am

Hi Guys

I've been away for an extended period of time for work (6 months+) and on return my car battery is completely dead.

I've tried opening the door with the key and it wont pop the locks up.

I need to somehow get a trickle charger to the battery which I believe is located underneath the bonnet but can any of you guys suggest how I can get access to bonnet given that I can not get into the cockpit?

Shoot me down as much as you want but I need to prep the car as now it has become my marriage fund! :cry:

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Re: I can't get into my car! Help

Post by Maniac » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:16 am

The manual key should open the lock on the drivers side, it can be stiff to operate.

That should get you in and able to open the bonnet for a booster/charger.

Other than that it's going to be very tricky.

Gizmo-R

Post by Gizmo-R » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:19 am

Maniac wrote:The manual key should open the lock on the drivers side, it can be stiff to operate.

That should get you in and able to open the bonnet for a booster/charger.

Other than that it's going to be very tricky.
I've tried both keys from both fobs and they have gone in fully and I've turned a full 90degrees both ways and the stub does no pop up. Do I need to turn more?

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:22 am

As they get little to no use they (at least mine when I tried it recently) take a bit more pressure than you feel comfortable with.

Gizmo-R

Post by Gizmo-R » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:41 am

Maniac wrote:As they get little to no use they (at least mine when I tried it recently) take a bit more pressure than you feel comfortable with.
I will attempt this later. I just did not think they require that much turning beyond 90degrees!

Thanks

E89_Gaz

Post by E89_Gaz » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:38 am

Your battery is in the boot under the floor, but there is a charging point under the bonnet.

Gizmo-R

Post by Gizmo-R » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:06 pm

E89_Gaz wrote:Your battery is in the boot under the floor, but there is a charging point under the bonnet.
Is there a way of getting the bonnet open without having to go into the cabin? I suspect not given it would be a security concern

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:35 pm

Is there no key lock on the boot of a E89?

Gizmo-R

Post by Gizmo-R » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:49 pm

Guys

The key worked in the end for me. I had to really turn the key for the lock to pop up

Clearly I need to hit the gym a bit more!

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:11 pm

Gizmo-R wrote:Guys

The key worked in the end for me. I had to really turn the key for the lock to pop up

Clearly I need to hit the gym a bit more!
Yep ;)

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:34 pm

You'll need a new battery if it's been that dead fro c6 months. Simply won't hold a decent charge now and will fail at the first ask.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Gizmo-R

Post by Gizmo-R » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:22 am

cj10jeeper wrote:You'll need a new battery if it's been that dead fro c6 months. Simply won't hold a decent charge now and will fail at the first ask.
You are probably correct.

I am looking on euro car parts for a battery (I was looking for a battery charger to begin with but may as well put the money towards a new battery)

I've been reading that replacing a battery is not straightforward on the Z4 and can cause problems?

jan_tekin

Post by jan_tekin » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:41 am

Gizmo-R wrote:
cj10jeeper wrote:You'll need a new battery if it's been that dead fro c6 months. Simply won't hold a decent charge now and will fail at the first ask.
You are probably correct.

I am looking on euro car parts for a battery (I was looking for a battery charger to begin with but may as well put the money towards a new battery)

I've been reading that replacing a battery is not straightforward on the Z4 and can cause problems?
Some cars need to be told its a new battery or it gets charged incorrectly
Current: M135i
Sold:3.0lsi Sport Roadster, Xenons,Heated seats, blutooth, Hi Fi,Comfort Pack, Cruse Control, Stormworks ST1
Gear Knob, Stubby, KW V2s, 224s