Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Front windows won't go down at all

DinosaurEyes

Post by DinosaurEyes » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:28 pm

Just got in from a drive, windows working fine. Get home, go out the car, windows dropped a few millimeters as they do when you opeb the door to get under the roof seal. Closed the door all good. Locked car. Then realised I left my wallet, unlock the car, open door, grab wallet, closed the door but it kinda bounced back. I realised the window hadn't dropped at all. Basically both front windows won't move at all. Tried the roof button, tried all the window switches, tried the unlock button on key, nothing will move them. The rear windows go up and down fine. There's no sound at all so the motors aren't even doing anything. Feels like fuse.

The doors won't close unless I push them under the roof lip and then kinda shove the door closed.

Any suggestions? Where is the fuse box?

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:35 pm

Fuse box is a pita, above the passenger foot well under the glovebox. You need to remove a few screws and it pulls down, sort of. Worst design ever.

Personally I'd disconnect the battery for 20 mins and reconnect and try again in case some control unit has come over all mardy.

DinosaurEyes

Post by DinosaurEyes » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:52 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. Went down to try it and everything is working fine! Ah well seems like it must just tripped something that needed a bit to reset.

:lol: :thumbsup:

DinosaurEyes

Post by DinosaurEyes » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:53 pm

#HaveYouTriedTurningItOffAndOnAgain

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Z4M-2006 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:40 pm

Weird.,,,,,

Sounds like the door switches got stuck and it confused the modules...

16 mins rest or a battery reset usually sorts it..

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Sun May 01, 2016 8:44 am

Maniac wrote:Fuse box is a pita, above the passenger foot well under the glovebox. You need to remove a few screws and it pulls down, sort of. Worst design ever.

Personally I'd disconnect the battery for 20 mins and reconnect and try again in case some control unit has come over all mardy.
Surely you just pivot the glovebox down and off and the fuse box is there and fully accessible?

You only need to,drop the panel to get access to the rear of it.
Can't get to mine now, but think it's fuse 41 or 46
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Sun May 01, 2016 9:01 am

cj10jeeper wrote:
Maniac wrote:Fuse box is a pita, above the passenger foot well under the glovebox. You need to remove a few screws and it pulls down, sort of. Worst design ever.

Surely you just pivot the glovebox down and off and the fuse box is there and fully accessible?

CJ- that is the case on an E85/E86, but this is an E89 ...
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Sun May 01, 2016 9:08 am

pvr wrote:
cj10jeeper wrote:

CJ- that is the case on an E85/E86, but this is an E89 ...
Oh - I stand corrected.
Back to the pool and stop surfing the forum :(
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

InvisibleName

Post by InvisibleName » Sun May 01, 2016 12:49 pm

DinosaurEyes wrote:#HaveYouTriedTurningItOffAndOnAgain
:D
28i M Sport / auto / Mineral Grey - Walnut leather

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sat May 07, 2016 8:07 am

I used too occasionally get the dancing windows on the E89 which a number of owners have had where it forgets the window pisitions. Mine would go up and come straight down again, story of my life. The fix was to hold the switch up for 15 secs or so which reset it. Used to do it on the MINI as well with frameless doors.

Tim.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sat May 21, 2016 4:51 pm

TitanTim wrote:I used too occasionally get the dancing windows on the E89 which a number of owners have had where it forgets the window pisitions. Mine would go up and come straight down again, story of my life. The fix was to hold the switch up for 15 secs or so which reset it. Used to do it on the MINI as well with frameless doors.

Tim.

I've not had any trouble with the window since fitting the smart top module!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup: