Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Condensation advice ... ?

geordie_zed

Post by geordie_zed » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:22 pm

Hi,

Just got my Z4 and looking for some advice. It's a 2009 with just shy of 50k miles.

I noticed there is condensation in the rear lights - looks like in the photo.

Is this indicative that there is the 'water ingress' problem ? Should I be concerned and what can I do ?
IMG_0473.JPG
IMG_0473.JPG (164.22 KiB) Viewed 871 times
Cheers!
==============================================
EEK my MPG is currently: Image

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:42 pm

If thats all you have dont worry. If it gets worse you can drill a tiny (tiny) hole in the lamp casing. Drill it on the inside edges. There is a post somewhere on the forum with pictures. But as you probably realise the search facility is next to useless.
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

Dietcokeman

Post by Dietcokeman » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:23 pm

Personally I would ignore the above and read the thread below first .

Pictures are gone ( thanks photo bucket ! ) but early light units do suffer from water ingress due to poor design. Take the light unit out dry it out and then put silicone sealer around the removable rear case part and refit it in position , and then put sealer over every screw head you can see on the rear of the lamp and around the edge of the lamp where the reflector meets the lamp case . Let it dry. Then refit the lamp making sure to fit the lamp rubber seal to the mounting plate of the car correctly, take you time to get the rubber lip over the mounting plate so the grove in the rubber sandwiches the mounting plate . And you should be ok.

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=92773

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markplant » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:35 pm

Dietcokeman wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:23 pm Personally I would ignore the above and read the thread below first .

Pictures are gone ( thanks photo bucket ! ) but early light units do suffer from water ingress due to poor design. Take the light unit out dry it out and then put silicone sealer around the removable rear case part and refit it in position , and then put sealer over every screw head you can see on the rear of the lamp and around the edge of the lamp where the reflector meets the lamp case . Let it dry. Then refit the lamp making sure to fit the lamp rubber seal to the mounting plate of the car correctly, take you time to get the rubber lip over the mounting plate so the grove in the rubber sandwiches the mounting plate . And you should be ok.

Unfortunately the photos in your link are dead, thank you photo bucket
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

EssexZed

Post by EssexZed » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:36 pm

I experienced this problem on a 2010 model, about the same amount of condensation as in your photo. I didn't take any remedial action as it came and went dependent on the weather. If it got to the point of being persistent or got considerable worse I'd have followed the advice on how to fix it as posted by other members on this forum. I think BMW modified the lamp fitting on later cars following lots of warranty claims.

Dietcokeman

Post by Dietcokeman » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:57 pm

markplant wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:35 pm
Dietcokeman wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:23 pm Personally I would ignore the above and read the thread below first .

Unfortunately the photos in your link are dead, thank you photo bucket
I did say that Mark , bloody photo bucket .