Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Odd leak issue

Avallon

Odd leak issue

Post by Avallon » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:33 pm

Hi,

I have a 64-plate e89 28i with an odd damp issue.

The passenger footwell is wet, but not the side near the door, rather the side of the transmission tunnel. The moisture seems to run from the far front of the footwell then down in a line alongside the right side of the footwell.

This morning the spot was nearly dry. This evening it seems a lot wetter. The car has been in a garage all day. I could possibly have driven through puddles but I didn't notice doing so...

I believe BMW replaced the air distributor (?) last month which seems to coincide with the damp problem, but then I'm not sure how an air distributor would be at fault?

I'll be taking the car back to the dealership but I'm not getting a sense they're really taking the issue seriously. They previously told me it was a window alignment issue and re-aligned the passenger window.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Thanks in advance!

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Odd leak issue

Post by Maniac » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:55 pm

My thoughts, take it back, they’ve likely caused a coolant leak in the heating system. The heater matrix is behind there.

Avallon

Odd leak issue

Post by Avallon » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:01 pm

Maniac wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:55 pm My thoughts, take it back, they’ve likely caused a coolant leak in the heating system. The heater matrix is behind there.
Thanks, it's booked in on Tuesday. Just to check my understanding, do you think the air distributor replacement could have caused the coolant leak?

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Odd leak issue

Post by Z4M-2006 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:12 pm

Probably AC leak off hasnt been routed properly...

If its coolant from the matrix,you will see your level going down.. AC leak off is condensed water for system.

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Odd leak issue

Post by Maniac » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:10 pm

Z4M-2006 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:12 pm Probably AC leak off hasnt been routed properly...

If its coolant from the matrix,you will see your level going down.. AC leak off is condensed water for system.

Good shout, yep could be that...

Avallon

Odd leak issue

Post by Avallon » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:43 pm

Thanks both - I'll see what they come back with...

mcbutler

Odd leak issue

Post by mcbutler » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:23 pm

put a dab on your finger, if it tastes sweet its antifreeze so a coolant leak. Could also be a blocked drain in the ventilation air intake plenum chamber. Might be full of leaves, you could try playing a hosepipe on the area between the wipers, if it drips inside your car tha'ts what it'll be.
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

Avallon

Odd leak issue

Post by Avallon » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:19 pm

Fault found! Deformed aircon leak off...apparently must have come deformed from the factory.

New leak off to be installed + aircon refresh to be undertaken. Fingers crossed it removes the damp smell...