Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

AT wits end...

Dietcokeman

AT wits end...

Post by Dietcokeman » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:18 am

Smartbear wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:18 pm
Smurfalot wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:01 pm
Dietcokeman wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:52 pm Ok so I've sorted out a few of these E89's with roof issues, but normally the roof will be doing something abnormal with the opening or closing procedure . Even if it's just the windows not coming back up after operation . So OP do you have any other issues with the roof operation and associated operations , boot, windows, warning lights etc ?
Two things.. 1 the vehicle check light, (car on ramp) 2 days ago. Never seen that light before. 2 on Monday, when I put roof up, drivers window hit the top and then came down again. Don't recall that on the previous 2 units, but my memory isn't good. (Living with depression is a b*tch).
I think the bouncing window is probably just the anti-trap mechanism being over sensitive, you can reteach them by holding the window switch all the way up for several seconds after the travel has completed which should teach it any difference in resistance that may have slowly crept in :thumbsup:
Rob
As Rob states above, the window issue on this occasion seems to be the anti trap. Normally with window issues associated with roof problems the windows stay down and do not raise. Do you have access to Carly ? Do you have any fault codes ? I am in Buckinghamshire, if you can get over I will take a look for you, but can't say that I've come across this issue before from what you are saying, but I know where all the sensors and micro switches are and the rams etc .

When the roof operates up or down can you hear the pump running on ? You can operate the roof with the engine off ( just don't do it more than a few times ) and listen at the boot area for the pump ?

Smurfalot

AT wits end...

Post by Smurfalot » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:45 pm

Dietcokeman wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:18 am
Smartbear wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:18 pm
Smurfalot wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:01 pm

Two things.. 1 the vehicle check light, (car on ramp) 2 days ago. Never seen that light before. 2 on Monday, when I put roof up, drivers window hit the top and then came down again. Don't recall that on the previous 2 units, but my memory isn't good. (Living with depression is a b*tch).
I think the bouncing window is probably just the anti-trap mechanism being over sensitive, you can reteach them by holding the window switch all the way up for several seconds after the travel has completed which should teach it any difference in resistance that may have slowly crept in :thumbsup:
Rob
As Rob states above, the window issue on this occasion seems to be the anti trap. Normally with window issues associated with roof problems the windows stay down and do not raise. Do you have access to Carly ? Do you have any fault codes ? I am in Buckinghamshire, if you can get over I will take a look for you, but can't say that I've come across this issue before from what you are saying, but I know where all the sensors and micro switches are and the rams etc .

When the roof operates up or down can you hear the pump running on ? You can operate the roof with the engine off ( just don't do it more than a few times ) and listen at the boot area for the pump ?
I do have a Carly in the car.. Will run it later and see what pops up.
If there are any faults, I will see if I can upload the report.
As for noises, will have to wait until BMW replace the unit again, tho I might take you up on the offer of a looksee, as it'll be a nice excuse for a trundle out. Your only 1.5hrs away.. I wouldve hoped that BMW, when they claim they ran full diagnostics last time, would've found a faulty micro switch or sensor.. But it sounds like your more of an expert on these roofs than they are :rofl:
Now: Jaguar XF R Sport red/black leather and soooo many new toys
Gone :cry: sdrive 30i, silver, black leather, 19" wheels
Gone :cry: 2.0i sport. Black. Black Piano trim. Black Leather.

Smurfalot

AT wits end...

Post by Smurfalot » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:12 pm

Finally have car back and fixed.. Although, I'm now very apprehensive about putting the roof down.. :(

We are wondering, if there could be an intermittent fault on the shut off? So maybe the motor still keeps going, until I get home and switch off engine.
Any Thoughts?

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

AT wits end...

Post by flybobbie » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:28 pm

Wire a bulb to the motor circuit and run a wire into the cabin, to see when it's running,
it's what I would do.
Or try first, drop your mobile phone next to the motor and record the sound to see if it's running.

Smurfalot

AT wits end...

Post by Smurfalot » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:04 am

flybobbie wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:28 pm Wire a bulb to the motor circuit and run a wire into the cabin, to see when it's running,
it's what I would do.
Or try first, drop your mobile phone next to the motor and record the sound to see if it's running.
If I even knew how to do the first bit!! :rofl: dense as can be with that sort of stuff.
BMW have been checking it, had it all week, as this is the 2nd motor they have replaced under warranty... Oh well.. I have another 12months cover lol

Darkangelv2

AT wits end...

Post by Darkangelv2 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:55 pm

Smurfalot wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:12 pm Finally have car back and fixed.. Although, I'm now very apprehensive about putting the roof down.. :(

We are wondering, if there could be an intermittent fault on the shut off? So maybe the motor still keeps going, until I get home and switch off engine.
Any Thoughts?
I'd be opening and closing the roof as much as possible - last thing you want is the motor to burn out after the 12 month warranty lapses.
BMW Z4 2006 2.5SI - 437M Wheels - Strut Brace - H&R ARBs
3.0si Brake Conversion - Custom Nappa Sport Interior - Z4M Bumper+Bonnet -
BC Racing BR Coilovers - AFE Stage 2