Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof not retracting from the remote key

LeePreston

Post by LeePreston » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:19 pm

Hi. I’m a newbie, having just become the proud owner of my gorgeous 2009 35i.

I’m already loving the car way too much, and constantly squabbling with my other half over who has custody 😂

I’ve noticed a problem, and not sure whether I’m doing something wrong, whether there’s a simple solution, or whether there’s something more expensive......

The roof retracts and comes back up with no problems when using the buttons on the centre console. However, the roof will not retract with the keys. I’ve tried both remotes, but neither work. That said, one of them did on one occasion, a couple of weeks back.

I’m not trying to raise the roof, I know I don’t have the comfort access that gives that functionality. I’ve pushed and held the unlock button for many seconds, but this just unlocks the car.

I’ve tried using the emergency key in the drivers door lock. Unlocking and holding the key in this position lowers all of the windows (didn’t happen with the remotes), but still the roof won’t drop.

I’m confused. Does anyone have any idea what the issue might be, or whether there is some kind of reset?

I’ve read some topics about roof issues following battery disconnection, but this hasn’t happened. I’ve also read that poor battery performance or range for the remotes can also cause a problem. However, I’ve tried the roof lowering from a range of 10’. Conversely, I’ve also been able to lock and unlock the car from a range of nearly 100’

Any ideas greatly appreciated

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:30 am

Only thing I can think of is if the cars battery has little power it will not try to open the roof as it would use more battery power.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

cerbera

Post by cerbera » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:39 am

Yes, mine did the same as the battery was on it's way out. Workded fine once replaced. Car would start and run fine though.

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:46 am

Or your remotes batteries are also low, you need to cycle your keys make sure they get at least one long journey each every 6 months. Failing that buy an induction charging pad and leave them on it for 24 hours.
You can get your battery discharge tested at halfords or similar very quickly, cheaply and easily.
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

LeePreston

Post by LeePreston » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:47 pm

Just as an update

Firstly, thanks for the responses. Much appreciated.....

I took my car to KwikFit to get a free battery test. This took about ten mins and showed that the battery was in good condition, but needed to be charged. The charging system was also tested and was all given a clean bill of health.

Today’s been a white seat deep cleaning day, so I’ve left the car idling in the drive for a couple of hours, whilst awaiting the newly ordered battery charger. Basically, it’s worked. The car roof now retracts using the remote, as it should.

I’m guessing the low power level of the battery was responsible. Certainly for me, the cheapest and best outcome.

Thanks again for the responses.

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markplant » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:52 pm

When the battery gets low on zeds it can throw all sorts of issues out, your roof for example, sat nav screen not opening, various dash lights, and every car seem slightly different in the problems, but all seem to start without issue, glad you got sorted
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted