Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E89 Comprehensive problem list

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:24 pm

Perhaps your engine suffered the cam bolt problem. Quite a few cars called back.
Had the potential to smash engine. It could a stuck valve smashing into piston, if the timing goes out.

billdun

Post by billdun » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:59 am

Hi all. As well as reporting the faults listed and warning owners to keep checking their boot seals, I am looking for some advice on how I might pursue a complaint against the dealer for replacing a part I don't believe needed to be replaced.

1. E89 sDrive 23i
2. 2010/60
3. White
4. Red

2015 (April)

5a. Parking brake light constantly illuminated (yellow).
5b. Resolved
5c. Total bill/cost to me £199 – diagnostics and installed new software.
5d. This fault appears to be something to do with incorrect response to battery voltage dropping. Tried pointing out to them that software does not suddenly go wrong and fault must have been present from manufacture. Guess where that got me.

2016 (May)

5a. Roof opened half way and then stopped and would neither open or close.
5d. Resolved (but not to my satisfaction – see below)
5c. Total bill/cost to me £2038 New hydraulic unit and wiring/hydraulic line harness. New boot seal and vents.
5d. Problem caused by water ingress through boot seals. First video from service department showed external corrosion of hydraulic unit and severe corrosion of an electrical connector block. Second video showed that hydraulic unit had been replaced and explained that the connector was not available separately and would require the supply of a complete wiring/hydraulic harness in order to obtain the connector to splice into my harness. I asked for the replaced items to be returned to me. On checking the hydro unit it certainly showed some external corrosion but on removing the outer cover of the motor it was obvious that there had been no significant water ingress and on connecting a power supply the motor worked perfectly. It is obvious that they could not have tested the unit as they had already replaced it before repairing the corroded connector. I am really annoyed that they have replaced a very expensive part without checking if it was serviceable or not. I spoke to the Service Manager who, when he realised they had replaced the part without testing the old one, fobbed me off with “it's our experience that they fail eventually if they have come into contact with water” ignoring the pictures I sent him showing that no water had got into the unit.

metal licker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by metal licker » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:18 pm

billdun wrote:Hi all. As well as reporting the faults listed and warning owners to keep checking their boot seals, I am looking for some advice on how I might pursue a complaint against the dealer for replacing a part I don't believe needed to be replaced.

1. E89 sDrive 23i
2. 2010/60
3. White
4. Red

2015 (April)

5b. Resolved
5c. Total bill/cost to me £199 – diagnostics and installed new software.
5d. This fault appears to be something to do with incorrect response to battery voltage dropping. Tried pointing out to them that software does not suddenly go wrong and fault must have been present from manufacture. Guess where that got me.

2016 (May)

5a. Roof opened half way and then stopped and would neither open or close.
5d. Resolved (but not to my satisfaction – see below)
5c. Total bill/cost to me £2038 New hydraulic unit and wiring/hydraulic line harness. New boot seal and vents.
5d. Problem caused by water ingress through boot seals. First video from service department showed external corrosion of hydraulic unit and severe corrosion of an electrical connector block. Second video showed that hydraulic unit had been replaced and explained that the connector was not available separately and would require the supply of a complete wiring/hydraulic harness in order to obtain the connector to splice into my harness. I asked for the replaced items to be returned to me. On checking the hydro unit it certainly showed some external corrosion but on removing the outer cover of the motor it was obvious that there had been no significant water ingress and on connecting a power supply the motor worked perfectly. It is obvious that they could not have tested the unit as they had already replaced it before repairing the corroded connector. I am really annoyed that they have replaced a very expensive part without checking if it was serviceable or not. I spoke to the Service Manager who, when he realised they had replaced the part without testing the old one, fobbed me off with “it's our experience that they fail eventually if they have come into contact with water” ignoring the pictures I sent him showing that no water had got into the unit.
Hi and welcome to the forum :thumbsup:
Sorry I can't help with your problem but I think you'll get more help if you put it in a new post of your own :)
718 4.0 GTS Boxster in YELLOW :driving:
718 Guards Red Boxster .........Gone!
A35 AMG saloon .........Gone!
JCW ...........Gone !
E89 35i Msport VO ................Gone !
E89 23i SE DSB ................Gone !

Hello to Jason Isaacs

billdun

Post by billdun » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:00 pm

Will do, thanks.

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:11 pm

So 5 yrs into this thread & remove cracked wheels + annoying rattles it doesn't make too bad a read for current 89ers or potential 89ers :)
There is the vein running through of main dealers appearing clueless or changing parts out for no good reason :( more proof that if running any BMW out of warranty a competent & trusted indy should be highly prized :wink:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

zORdead

Post by zORdead » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:56 pm

billdun wrote:Hi all. As well as reporting the faults listed and warning owners to keep checking their boot seals, I am looking for some advice on how I might pursue a complaint against the dealer for replacing a part I don't believe needed to be replaced.

1. E89 sDrive 23i
2. 2010/60
3. White
4. Red

2015 (April)

2016 (May)
5d. Problem caused by water ingress through boot seals.
Thanks for the heads up re boot seal...can you be more specific about which section of boot seal failed and what the failure was?

I just got the Parking brake light too...I totally agree that this should be done for free as it was clearly not programmed correctly to begin with. Sure, someone has to pay for the time it takes to perform the software update. Possibly the update is cheaper than if hardware was replaced, but either way, it's a manufacturing defect and NOT normal wear and tear. :x

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:22 pm

When my business partners car recently had the park brake failure..well she just traded in for a Mercedes without getting it fixed.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:23 pm

When my business partners car recently had the park brake failure..well she just traded in for a Mercedes without getting it fixed.

If I get this light on I will print out as much info from this site before I approach BMW and trading standards.

Linzi_m

Post by Linzi_m » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:23 pm

1. E89 Model (2.0i M Sport)
2. Year / Reg (2015 - 64reg)
3. Colour exterior (Black)
4. Colour interior (Black)

5. Issues experienced, notes & status e.g.

5a. Cracked 326M rear near side wheel - 2 cracks
5b. Resolved
5c. Warranty Claim rejected - Cost completely paid by customer at £615

6a. High pitched whirring noise under acceleration over 2.5k revs in 1st to 3rd gear. Timing chain replaced.
6b. Resolved
6c. Warranty covered 100% (~£2.5k)

7a. Rear driver side light fitting filled with water. Replaced prior to vehicle purchase.
7b. Resolved
7c. Warranty covered 100%

Deferd

Post by Deferd » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:40 am

2016 2.0i msport
Saphire black
Black leather interior

No problems at all so far
Bought the car new September 2016
Done 9000 miles

Sometimes I get the odd rattle in the car but having checked this over the months
that I've had the car I would say that they are caused by the roof closing down and attaching
itself to the body of the car, when I close down the roof of the car on a flat surface I do
not get any rattles but if I close it down on a slope or on the move the odd rattle invariably
appears.
This is my first Z4, would I notice a fault if I had one ? Perhaps, but I'm 61 my eyesight hearing and
perception isn't what it used to be so maybe not .
I would notice obvious faults of course but I'm no expert.
I love this car especially with the top down, I just have to remember to look at the lights when
I'm sitting at traffic lights because it's so enticing to watch the clouds passing overhead. :rofl:

DrChef

Post by DrChef » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:32 am

1. E89 Model 20i MSport
2. Year / Reg: 2012
3. Colour exterior: Alpine White
4. Colour interior: Black

5a. Issue description: 12V socket not working
5b. Current status: Unresolved
5c. Warranty Claim: none
5d. Comments: still under investigation. Both sockets (dash + armrest compartment) not working

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:17 pm

DrChef wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:32 am 1. E89 Model 20i MSport

5d. Comments: still under investigation. Both sockets (dash + armrest compartment) not working
Is that even worth paying the excess ? :? could a decent indy or auto electrician not have sorted that easier & cheaper :?
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:24 pm

mr wilks wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:17 pm
DrChef wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:32 am 1. E89 Model 20i MSport

Is that even worth paying the excess ? :? could a decent indy or auto electrician not have sorted that easier & cheaper :?
Keep in mind we live in an age where people can't do much for themselves.
I used a dodgy tyre pump and cheap phone charger, both blew fuses.
I fitted a socket in the boot direct to battery via a fuse, for future pump use.

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:54 pm

mr wilks wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:11 pm So 5 yrs into this thread & remove cracked wheels + annoying rattles it doesn't make too bad a read for current 89ers or potential 89ers :)
There is the vein running through of main dealers appearing clueless or changing parts out for no good reason :( more proof that if running any BMW out of warranty a competent & trusted indy should be highly prized :wink:
There seems to be a sub text that the 35i and 35is are likely to cause an owner quite a bit of cash at some point in their lives, maybe more than once?

High pressure fuel pump
Ignition coils
Adjustable dampers
Turbos

If you are lucky these happen before or after you have had the car..otherwise......some of the issues have been covered by extended warranties..

Reading the history of owners on the forum I just walked away from a 35is purchase decision for these reasons...

The newer 4 pots despite being only 4 pots seem to be more reliable motors give or take the odd camshaft tensioner..

Anyway my dream of an Atacama Yellow 3.5is just evaporated...

Interestingly there were some interesting US reports of people going from 35is to 2.8i and not regretting it, mostly on the basis of improved handling and usability of the performance...

Bound to stir up a hornets nest now... :poke:

Kugaman1

Post by Kugaman1 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:26 pm

Not quite the same, but I went from a 23i SE to a 20i Msport.....no regrets whatsoever.

The 20i is more responsive and handles better with less weight over the front wheels.