Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Boot with mind of its own!

TopDMC

Post by TopDMC » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:28 am

Last night got into the car to go to friends and as started the boot open light came on - sure enough it was open.
So got out, closed the boot (electrics pulled the lid tight), got back in and started to pull away, boot light came on again.
Third time same again! Left the car and took the wife's instead.
This morning went to the car to check it out and as I opened the driver's door the boot lid opened.
Closed the boot lid and opened the driver's door, the boot lid stayed closed; but opened as soon as I put the key in the slot.
Got out, emptied the boot of everything in case something was touching, changed the key fob in case that was faulty and tried again. Opened the door (boot stayed closed), put the fob in the slot (boot stayed closed) :) started the car - boot opened :x

So here I am asking for help as I can't do without my car for two days on the trot...
:) Life's for living :)

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Boot with mind of its own!

Post by Maniac » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:22 pm

From memory I think this is a low battery charge issue. Could be a duff battery or you might need to take the car on a good run to charge the battery up.

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Angie4m » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:55 pm

Oh great! I had this problem on my E88 which was caused by a dodgy boot lock. I thought that with this car having the 'soft close' option that I wouldn't see this problem.

I do hope it is a low battery however if it's the same issue that's plagued other BM verts in the past that's not great.
Deep Sea Blue sDrive35is - I LOVE IT! Best car I've ever owned :) - Gone
RRS V8 Supercharged - Gone
Abarth 595 Competizione - Gone
Yas Marina Blue M4 Coupe - Gone

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997
F56 JCW Challenge (19 of 52)

Still Shy and retiring

supersebbo

Post by supersebbo » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:11 am

You know, this has happened to me a few times. I've got out the car to find the boot open, and I'm certain I didn't press the button.

Maniac - low battery on the car or on the fob?

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:36 am

Low battery on the car, the fob is charged from the ignition slot unless its comfort access which has battery fobs. Fobs that discharge simply don't work. I've read a few posts from people that when the battery is failing or charge is low but not low enough for the car to complain, the boot starts to do this. So it may be a faulty car battery, car battery connection or low charge. In any event it seems related to the car battery.

supersebbo

Post by supersebbo » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:42 pm

Fair enough, that would be a very odd failure mode though, dodgy control module malfunctioning under low-power?

Don't let the criminals know that all they need to do to get into your boot is find some way to short your battery and drain it a little :)

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:02 pm

supersebbo wrote:Fair enough, that would be a very odd failure mode though, dodgy control module malfunctioning under low-power?

Don't let the criminals know that all they need to do to get into your boot is find some way to short your battery and drain it a little :)
Agreed but its what I've read other's have blamed for the issue and a new battery or better charge has sorted it.

TopDMC

Post by TopDMC » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:03 pm

So, I just got back from Birmingham, I left the car with Coopers at Reading station as I had to take the train.
I had to plead with them to take the car in as they said they were far too busy and the earliest they could look at it would be next Tuesday.
Obviously they were too busy as they never got round to look at it :x

Issue is still there with the boot lid opening and matters are even worse now, when I stop the car to get out the central locking does not work!!!

Thanks for your comment Maniac re the low battery, this makes sense, when I start my car recently I have felt that the battery was struggling - not as crisp as it used to be. I will give it a full charge in the morning.

One good thing came out of it though, I got two days free parking as I did not have to use the station car park and they gave the car a clean ( albeit that I do not usually let them touch it).

I will let you know how I get on....
:) Life's for living :)

mel_2013

Post by mel_2013 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:32 pm

did this ever get sorted ? was it just the battery ?