Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Replacing Hydraulic Pump

SpecialNick

Replacing Hydraulic Pump

Post by SpecialNick » Tue May 12, 2015 7:47 pm

Hi Guys,
You may remember I posted about a leak I was having in my boot well last year: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=61309 (sorry for not posting an update).
After extensive drying the motor worked again, I wasn't able to trace where the water was getting in, but it seemed to stop coming in in such huge quantities.
After keeping an eye on it for many months all seemed fine, until the nice weather reappeared over the last few weeks and I tried the roof; the water was back with a vengeance, and has completely corroded the connections to the wiring harness (fell apart in my hands), and possibly the pump itself.

As it was in for a service today, I asked them to take a look at it to see what work would be needed, and was quoted £2700 for a new wiring harness (£20 on ebay), pump (used £250 ebay), relays and fuses (pennies - although I've tested both relays and they work fine, fuses ok too). Obviously there is labour, expertise and a degree of security in the cost, but I just can't justify spending that sum on what should be a straightforward swapout - which brings me to my question:

My intention is to replace the wiring harness, see if the pump works, and if not replace the pump. Is this a straightforward job? Does anyone have any guidance? My main concern would be refilling the pump properly with hydraulic fluid afterwards (I'm pretty handy but not done much with hydraulic systems before).

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Replacing Hydraulic Pump

Post by Maniac » Thu May 14, 2015 6:30 pm

I thin you might struggle with advice on this as you are the only person I've ever read that's had the issue. Have you found the reason for the water if it's happened again?

SpecialNick

Post by SpecialNick » Mon May 18, 2015 4:44 pm

I did find the source, see attached images. The water only got in after a significant downpour, explaining why it was so difficult to detect (2 BMW mechanics said I definitely didn't have a leak..!), through the seal joint with the two screws in the first picture. Once the water penetrated through the joint, it found its way to the bottom of the well down one of the electrical cables, causing the connectors to corrode and water to get to the motor. Again the fact that it only occurs after a particularly heavy downpour lulled me into a false sense of security, i.e. I would check after light rain and no water seemed to be getting in, making me think the problem had gone away.

I've ordered a used pump from eBay from a scrapped '14 plate (the BMW electronic catalogue says the newer pump is slightly different - has 4 outlets instead of 3 - but that they are backward-compatible).

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Mon May 18, 2015 5:43 pm

Those pictures I feel will save a lot of people hassle going forwards. I've just checked that same seal. Mine does not seal entirely either on that side. I also have water after a downpour today, on the wrong side (interior) of that seal. The passenger side seems fine. So, you've located an issue for me also, thank you, I'll be certain to apply some sealant there this weekend. There's no sign of any water ingress to the boot itself, but, there is water on the lower seal that the one you show removed sits upon. Only on the drivers side.

I do find your last pic interesting, the one where you are holding the top seal. This has some sort of paste applied under it, which makes me wonder if they knew the seals weren't right at the factory and they've used paste just in case. I also wonder how such a small leak could have resulted in the entire boot sub section filling up to the point its reached the motor, which stands on stilts to prevent such issues.

Tricky Dicky

Post by Tricky Dicky » Mon May 18, 2015 7:03 pm

We've had a extensive downpour today and I've checked the battery well ,dry as a bone , I've not taken off the trim covering over the area you removed ,but it all seems dry at the point were the trim meets the area were your photo showed a pool of water , the trim would be damp if this were so, but as the batt well is dry I think I'm ok ,our car is a March 2013 car if it's of any use
2013 E89 Z4 2.0L M Spec titanium silver,black leather,comfort pack, 19" 326 alloys ,I love this car. :driving:

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Angie4m » Mon May 18, 2015 8:29 pm

Well I've been to check my car. Been chucking it down all day. I have no water around that seal. The only water that was there was after I lifted the boot up and watched it run down to it. Seems that the seal around the boot is doing its job. Had a look from the underside and along the wiring harness and no water. I'll remove the trim at the weekend if the weathers alright but looks like at the moment but it's definitely one to watch.

Just out of curiosity, do you have a warranty at all?
Deep Sea Blue sDrive35is - I LOVE IT! Best car I've ever owned :) - Gone
RRS V8 Supercharged - Gone
Abarth 595 Competizione - Gone
Yas Marina Blue M4 Coupe - Gone

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997
F56 JCW Challenge (19 of 52)

Still Shy and retiring

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Mon May 18, 2015 9:12 pm

Angie4m wrote:Well I've been to check my car. Been chucking it down all day. I have no water around that seal. The only water that was there was after I lifted the boot up and watched it run down to it. Seems that the seal around the boot is doing its job. Had a look from the underside and along the wiring harness and no water. I'll remove the trim at the weekend if the weathers alright but looks like at the moment but it's definitely one to watch.

Just out of curiosity, do you have a warranty at all?

That's the thing it is a single not double seal that's only wet once you open the boot lid. So not mega serious probably but still a single seal is not good where a flood of water can run by it when opening the boot.

I don't believe the OP has a warranty having sourced his own pump.

Jasey

Post by Jasey » Mon May 18, 2015 9:31 pm

Definitely one to keep an eye - Cheers all for the heads up :thumbsup:

denimdick

Replacing Hydraulic Pump

Post by denimdick » Tue Dec 27, 2022 4:56 pm

Hi Guys,

I know this is an old thread but I've just discovered my (e89) boot is leaking big time.
I did think it might be the left rear light cluster (the gap around the light is a little off) and have oredered a new OEM one that will hopefully arrive shortly but reading this thread I'm really keen to check this seal.

The problem I have is that the link to the original photograph(s) is no longer working.
Is the original poster (SpecialNick) still around or does anyone else have a picture of what the issue was?

Thanks all,

DD

(BTW I sold my Z4M coupe and "downsized" to my e89 3.0i)

clarker63

Replacing Hydraulic Pump

Post by clarker63 » Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:01 pm

Be aware the new light will have one bolt less than the old one so youll need to block one up. Stange i know! There are loads of threads about leaking boots and it comes in a few different places including the light seals, top boot seal and the air vents.. Good luck!

denimdick

Replacing Hydraulic Pump

Post by denimdick » Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:03 pm

Thanks for your prompt & helpful reply :thumbsup:

After reading a few more threads, I'd come to the same conclusion - I think:
boot seal => rear light cluster seal => vents
in that order.
Mine's a 2010 3.0i - the year & model seemed to feature in a lot in these threads.

RobbiZ4

Replacing Hydraulic Pump

Post by RobbiZ4 » Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:14 am

Have a look at the following maintenance thread and you'll find all required infos.

⌛E89: Retractable Hardtop (roof) Maintenance (and additional) tasks
viewtopic.php?t=130932
Pardon, je suis Allemand :oops:
:ant:
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

Y3 Roof Diagnostic System
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=129048

denimdick

Replacing Hydraulic Pump

Post by denimdick » Wed Dec 28, 2022 4:46 pm

Robbie, you're a legend!
I'm really hoping that this is it:

6) Check your backlightclusters
Please have a look at the number of nuts on each backlight in the trunk. Replaced backlights have only 2 nuts instead of 3 of the initial ones. In that case, the 3rd hole in the body has to be sealed from the outside BEFORE mounting/replacing the backlight cluster! If not done, your trunk will transform to a swimming pool!

I can't be sure (and I've yet to check) but this would explain why I had a well of water in the boot yet all the carpets were dry. Luckily I'd just bought a small 12v oil pump to vacate it or else I'd have been there for a week with a sponge!

Not sure why but I absolutely love my e89 - way more fun & easier to live with than my Z4MC.

Thanks again for all your help.

DD

RobbiZ4

Replacing Hydraulic Pump

Post by RobbiZ4 » Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:29 pm

Welcome - and fingers cross that that's the source of your water.

At first dry or replace the foam of the pump. Then put it into a plasic bag as written in the maintenance thread.
But be patient, water can get trapped in the body rails and drip out again for days or even weeks while driving. Place some white or blue tissues on the bottom of the trunk for a longer term check.
Pardon, je suis Allemand :oops:
:ant:
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

Y3 Roof Diagnostic System
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=129048

denimdick

Replacing Hydraulic Pump

Post by denimdick » Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:11 pm

Hi all,

I know my water ingress issues haven't really been the subject of this thread but I thought I'd report back and update (as well as thank) you all again for your help.

It turned out that the issue was the incorrect fitting (of both!!) rear light clusters.
I knew when I bought the car that the rear bumper had been painted but it appears that whoever performed the job didn't refit the rear light seals properly. They (obviously not BMW) had compressed the seal rather than running it the channel designed for the body. Threw me a little as I hadn't expected them both to be wrong so I just assumed them to be correct when comparing.

So anyway, all's well that ends well.

I just need to work out if it's coincidence or something related to all the dampness that's caused a couple of my keys to "go down" - I get a yellow symbol with a line through it on the dash - but that's for another thread!