Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Windscreen washer clogged...?

Acid_Monkey

Post by Acid_Monkey » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:46 pm

So, I've ran the my windscreen washer tank down to empty - filled it up the other day, but I still get nothing more than a dribbling trickle out of both of the windscreen washers - although the right side at least hits the windshield! :thumbsdown:

Not sure what I've done, but my best guess is that debris at the bottom of the tank is either clogging the pump, or the pump has died due to being used when dry...

Any ideas or advice on how I can repair without actually replacing the pump!

Got a 4-5 hour drive to Devon tomorrow - would love my washers to be working again :driving:

Cheers!

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Windscreen washer clogged...?

Post by Angie4m » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:01 pm

Need to look into the bottle and see what there. Any floaters? I had an issue with mines where some nob dropped a bit tissue in it.

I found that a chopstick or some long pokey item to remove any build up from around the filter along with running pure, undiluted wash helped remove the blockage. I started running it through and loads of white tissue gunk sprayed all over the window. Let it sit for a hour or so and then went out and tried again and again running it through until all washers were working correctly.

Mines was so bad that the headlamp washers weren't working.
Deep Sea Blue sDrive35is - I LOVE IT! Best car I've ever owned :) - Gone
RRS V8 Supercharged - Gone
Abarth 595 Competizione - Gone
Yas Marina Blue M4 Coupe - Gone

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997
F56 JCW Challenge (19 of 52)

Still Shy and retiring

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:53 pm

Locate where the pipe goes from the engine bay into the bonnet, you should find a junction there, if not, then where the pipe goes into the jets. Disconnect it there and then use the screen wash function, if water comes out of the open pipe, then your jets are blocked. If they are, get a needle and clear them with it. If the blockage is in the bottle and it's floating matter, just fill the bottle and keep it overflowing to remove the muck. An air line is also good for blowing muck out of the lines/jets.
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Angie4m » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:06 pm

As the bottle of the E89 is huge, the location and the amount of stuff around it, I do not suggest running water into it until it overflows. Instead it's best to siphon off any fluid within the bottle.

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997

Still Shy and retiring

Geezah

Post by Geezah » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:30 pm

There is an in line filter where the tube exits the tank to the windscreen nozzles. IIRC it sits in a rubber grommet which just pulls out. My filter was clogged with crap. Literally a 5 minute job.
2008 Z4 2.0i SE E85, Space Grey, 18" 241 staggered rims, 255/35/18, 225/40/18, 2 tone anthracite/silverstone leather Msport heated seats, M sport MFC Steering wheel, Bluetooth, Comfort pack, Tracker, Automatic climate control, Gaptech, Blah, blah.

Highlander

Post by Highlander » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:58 pm

Yeah,easy job to get to filter.Pull the wiring plug from the pump in reservoir and swivel the pump away from the reservoir to remove it....from memory the filter sits under the pump in the reservoir on top of the grommet.All that's from memory as I had the same issue with mine when I got it but you'll easily see how to fix it when the bonnet's up and you're looking at it.
Hope it's just the filter choked and you get them working.

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:05 am

I had mine block recently. Just siphoned off the fluid then removed the washer fluid tank and scrubbed the plastic filter with a toothbrush.

Both pumps are pushfit so pop out quite easily.

I have only ever had BMW screenwash in the car but upon inspection of the siphoned fluid it was full of gunk. I think unless you fully empty the tank between fills you will get a build-up of gunk in the tank.

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Angie4m » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:14 am

I tend to now not fill the tank right up knowing that I won't be using the car daily and knowing it could 'gunk' up it means I can just have enough for a few journeys and then when the warning pings I just top it up a bit.

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997

Still Shy and retiring

Acid_Monkey

Post by Acid_Monkey » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:14 pm

Wow thanks everyone - wealth of information here - tried to look into the reservoir but its filled to the top with a dark blue ready mixture so no hope in hell of seeing inside.

Will have a look at the filter and pump as suggested and keep you guys posted - however nothing happens now when i try and use the windscreen wash - can't even hear the pump... :(

Do I need to empty the reservoir before looking at the filter/pump?

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:25 pm

If you can't hear the pump, I would check to see if your getting power to it. Unplug the wire to the pump and test for power when someone presses the washer button. If the power is there, then you need to check the pump
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

ric19

Post by ric19 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:02 am

Thread I opened a year ago (almost to the day) here :-

http://z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=72861

Tricky Dicky

Post by Tricky Dicky » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:45 pm

Hi Folks
Dropped the wife's Z4 off to Ryebrook warwick for its 4 year service, picked up a loaner :thumbsup: had a phone call off service desk after wife passed them on to me ,As money was involved !!! there was an advisory on a small oil leak at the cam cover gasket , I could not see any oil when I valeted the engine last weekend and it's spotless not a trace of Oil on the floor either , trust me very OCD about that so I said no don't do that as they wanted £350 :cry: , next the screen wash just dribbled out of the jets , same bloke said filters blocked and wanted £130 to clean filters out :cry: , he said as the car has only done on average 30 miles per week it's to be expected !!,!! I thought That is total Tosh , :headbang: initially I said yes do it , but then thought WTF I'll consult the Forum ,I've since said no so I'm going to try and fix it myself ,wish me luck , I must say I'm rather shocked at the prices , it's strange when it's your car you look at prices , I cannot remember the last time I looked at my company car service breakdown :|
2013 E89 Z4 2.0L M Spec titanium silver,black leather,comfort pack, 19" 326 alloys ,I love this car. :driving:

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:36 pm

Tricky Dicky wrote:Hi Folks
Dropped the wife's Z4 off to Ryebrook warwick for its 4 year service, picked up a loaner :thumbsup: had a phone call off service desk after wife passed them on to me ,As money was involved !!! there was an advisory on a small oil leak at the cam cover gasket , I could not see any oil when I valeted the engine last weekend and it's spotless not a trace of Oil on the floor either , trust me very OCD about that so I said no don't do that as they wanted £350 :cry: , next the screen wash just dribbled out of the jets , same bloke said filters blocked and wanted £130 to clean filters out :cry: , he said as the car has only done on average 30 miles per week it's to be expected !!,!! I thought That is total Tosh , :headbang: initially I said yes do it , but then thought WTF I'll consult the Forum ,I've since said no so I'm going to try and fix it myself ,wish me luck , I must say I'm rather shocked at the prices , it's strange when it's your car you look at prices , I cannot remember the last time I looked at my company car service breakdown :|
Cam cover gasket was one of the first issues I had to sort on my E85 as it was leaking. Discovered via a disconcerting but constant smell of burning oil on the exhaust manifold when driven. Then progressively more smoke from the burning oil.
Couldnt find the leak at first but on the E85 it commonly occurs at the back at the lowest point of the cover. Had to displace the heat shield to get my fingers round the back and under the lip of the cover and sure enough there was a suspended blob of oil at any given time.
Would suggest replacing the gasket as a matter of preventive maintenance but maybe ask the garage for evidence of a leak first?
Washer bottle is easy peasy. Plus, a few drops of white vinegar can help prevent bacteria and gunk buildup.
:thumbsup:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

mal_by

Post by mal_by » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:28 pm

I had the same issue ~8 months ago: 2 filters in the washer tank were blocked.

I fixed it myself in about an hour:
- You can unclip the reservoir, remove the pipes to the jets and water will drain out
- You can then use a thin implement with a blunt end to rub the filters
- There will be "gunk" residue, similar to what you find in ponds blocking them
- You can start to massage this away from the filters and remove it
- Clip pipes back in, run some water through to check it flows
- Hook the reservoir bank into place!
E89 sDrive 35i Manual / Deep Sea Blue with Black Leather

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:58 am

In the last couple of years I have had this problem on my E46 and my E86.

Both times it was due to a gungy goo building up around the filters on the pumps in the reservoirs. Took the reservoirs out, removed the pumps, cleaned the filters with a tooth-brush, flushed the reservoirs, re-filled them with a proprietary screen-wash and no problems since.

But probably best to keep using the same screen-wash all the time (doesn't need to be BMW, unless you have nothing better to waste your money on)! :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black