Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Rear Rattle

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Rear Rattle

Post by Maniac » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:05 pm

One of the two plastic clamps fixing the bar to the felt tray? If that's loose then a) common fault and there's a post on here about drilling it out and putting metal bolts where BMW cheaped out on plastic ones that fail and b) yes could well cause the sound you hear.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Rear Rattle

Post by flybobbie » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:31 pm

Welcome to the World of E89 rattles.
My latest one this last week a plastic rattle over on the left. I have wedged a piece of rubber in the bottom corner between the dash and the cheap looking window frame trim that goes up the door frame. Fingers crossed that that is the culprit.
Noise I have managed to cure in past
1/Rear deck tapping in the corners near the flappy bits. Sounded like two sandwich boxes banging together. Glued rubber on the underside.
2/That wedge thing below the rear window that sits in the hole in the rear deck. Some fluffy stick on pads either side, not the wedge though, otherwise the window won't lift. It originally had some very thin felt on the wedge bit, but fell off.
3/The roof protector hinges broke so fixed with carriage bolts and nuts.
4/Every gap in plastic trim sprayed silicon.
5/Sun visors rattle, mirror cover inside rattles. Used some rubber pads on window frame to stop this.
6/iDrive screen motor gears rattle, cured with silicon spray.
7/Wedges the roof sits on covered in thin rubber.
8/Having seats too far back they bang against rear bulkhead.
9/Sometimes sound of loose washers in steering column.
10/Trim under dash rattles, silicon spray and wedged a piece of card where there was a loose electrical module, above drivers right leg.
11/ Bonnet rattle, adjusted the bonnet rubbers.
Anything left lose rattles, probably due the stiffer ride.
Sometimes dropping the windows half inch cured some noises. Think that is related to 7/.
I think the rear quarter light black bit butts up against a bolt head in the door window rubber trim. Poke a finger in and you can feel the bolt head.
Recently had all the rear bulkhead trim out to fit pass through storage, that was a quiet week with that all removed.

A more serious rubber mallet bumping sound in boot finally cured by, replacing the anti roll bar bushes with polybushes, then replacing the rear shocks with Bilstein and finally removing the right rear spring, washing the rubbers top and bottom, chalked them, refit and set the spring 90 degree anti-clockwise from original position.
Other than the rubbish steering, partly cured by fitting non-rft's and the notchy gearbox, it's a great car :roll:

adann

Rear Rattle

Post by adann » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:04 pm

Maniac wrote:One of the two plastic clamps fixing the bar to the felt tray? If that's loose then a) common fault and there's a post on here about drilling it out and putting metal bolts where BMW cheaped out on plastic ones that fail and b) yes could well cause the sound you hear.
Had a look but can't find it, was it a recent post?
ImageImage
BMW Z4 23i

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Rear Rattle

Post by Maniac » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:34 pm

adann wrote:
Maniac wrote:One of the two plastic clamps fixing the bar to the felt tray? If that's loose then a) common fault and there's a post on here about drilling it out and putting metal bolts where BMW cheaped out on plastic ones that fail and b) yes could well cause the sound you hear.
Here's another...

http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=733794

adann

Rear Rattle

Post by adann » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:43 pm

Maniac wrote:
adann wrote:
Here's another...

http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=733794
Thanks so much for your help, will have a bash at this tomorrow and see what happens.
ImageImage
BMW Z4 23i

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Rear Rattle

Post by mr wilks » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:46 pm

flybobbie wrote:Welcome to the World of E89 rattles.
My latest one this last week a plastic rattle over on the left. I have wedged a piece of rubber in the bottom corner between the dash and the cheap looking window frame trim that goes up the door frame. Fingers crossed that that is the culprit.
1/Rear deck tapping in the corners near the flappy bits. Sounded like two sandwich boxes banging together. Glued rubber on the underside.
2/That wedge thing below the rear window that sits in the hole in the rear deck. Some fluffy stick on pads either side, not the wedge though, otherwise the window won't lift. It originally had some very thin felt on the wedge bit, but fell off.
5/Sun visors rattle, mirror cover inside rattles. Used some rubber pads on window frame to stop this.
10/Trim under dash rattles, silicon spray and wedged a piece of card where there was a loose electrical module, above drivers right leg.
Sometimes dropping the windows half inch cured some noises. Think that is related to 7/.
I think the rear quarter light black bit butts up against a bolt head in the door window rubber trim. Poke a finger in and you can feel the bolt head.
Recently had all the rear bulkhead trim out to fit pass through storage, that was a quiet week with that all removed.

A more serious rubber mallet bumping sound in boot finally cured by, replacing the anti roll bar bushes with polybushes, then replacing the rear shocks with Bilstein and finally removing the right rear spring, washing the rubbers top and bottom, chalked them, refit and set the spring 90 degree anti-clockwise from original position.
Other than the rubbish steering, partly cured by fitting non-rft's and the notchy gearbox, it's a great car :roll:

:D I wouldn't have got past no4 , that car would have been up the road :oops:
Applause for tenacity to get the faults fettled , maybe I got lucky with my 89 :? 125k on & nothing rattles or squeeks
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Rear Rattle

Post by flybobbie » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:59 pm

I just drilled out the existing plastic and fitted six carriage bolts.
Looks a lot smarter and secure.

adann

Rear Rattle

Post by adann » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:17 am

flybobbie wrote:Image

I just drilled out the existing plastic and fitted six carriage bolts.
Looks a lot smarter and secure.
Thanks for that. Hoping this is what the problem is, noise is driving me mad!
ImageImage
BMW Z4 23i

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Rear Rattle

Post by flybobbie » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:04 pm

"My latest one this last week a plastic rattle over on the left. I have wedged a piece of rubber in the bottom corner between the dash and the cheap looking window frame trim that goes up the door frame. Fingers crossed that that is the culprit."

Yep, wedging the rubber in the gap has stopped the rattle.
Have some edging trim that fits nicely in the gap to fit tomorrow.

jleckenby

Rear Rattle

Post by jleckenby » Tue May 09, 2017 10:30 pm

flybobbie wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:31 pm Welcome to the World of E89 rattles.

Hi mate,

Where abouts did you spray the idrive to stop it rattling? Cant see any exposes gears or anything.

Thanks
James
Z4 35is, 438bhp
Cobb Stage 2 (Aggressive), VRSF Catless Downpipes, BMS DCI, NGK Iridium Spark Plugs, Eibach Springs

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Rear Rattle

Post by flybobbie » Tue May 09, 2017 11:12 pm

Look to the right, see a gap, can see the gears.

taranfx

Rear Rattle

Post by taranfx » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:42 pm

flybobbie wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:31 pm

Re: 7
At slow speeds (upto 50mph) with roof and windows up, I hear a rattle from back of the left ear. I looked everywhere and concluded it goes away when windows are lowered a little. So I believe this rattle is caused by windows pushing against the roof? I checked the rubber sealing, Gummy pfleged it and still no change. I also added some foam and felt in the area and didnt help much.
Any ideas for how to fix it?

Pagie

Rear Rattle

Post by Pagie » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:51 pm

Hi there new to the site so apologise for jumping in and have read some of the responses but maybe slightly different with my 2014 2.0 only just starting hearing creeking noises from behind drivers side, sounds like plastic on plastic? tried putting sponge between roof and rear 'roll bars' but didn't change then realised it was the same with the roof down

Pbondar

Rear Rattle

Post by Pbondar » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:37 am

Pagie wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:51 pm Hi there new to the site so apologise for jumping in and have read some of the responses but maybe slightly different with my 2014 2.0 only just starting hearing creeking noises from behind drivers side, sounds like plastic on plastic? tried putting sponge between roof and rear 'roll bars' but didn't change then realised it was the same with the roof down

The overalling trim around the rear bulkhead is held in with a few piss poor push clips..the two layers of trim can rub against each other, I padded them /preloaded them with a few zip tie pieces cut up and wedged in between them..there may b emore sophisticated ways of doing that and/or lots of places to squeak back there!

paulcherry

Rear Rattle

Post by paulcherry » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:59 am

Hi, have just purchased Z4 E89 2015 & am experiencing same rattle in the boot area (the run-flat tyres also give a hard ride but this is just a character of the car). Does not happen with roof down. Have checked all roof mechanisms which seem solid & tight (as new) so would not be the cause. I suspect the rattle may be coming from the boot partition section where you push down both sides to lock in position to be able to lower roof??? Does anyone also have this issue & what was the cure - padding out / making any adjustments, etc.......? Any help appreciated thanks...